Slick bottom coatings

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Slick bottom coatings

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Thinking about putting one on my boat. Mostly for an extra protective layer but the slick will be nice for some things.
Anybody here have any experience with them? Which ones are good and which ones aren't.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Slick bottom coatings

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Buddy of mine put a gorilla hull on his bass boat, it's an official jumper. I have no idea what you're talking about Nuff.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:14 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Buddy of mine put a gorilla hull on his bass boat, it's an official jumper. I have no idea what you're talking about Nuff.

Gator glide.
Wetlander.
Line-X

It like a super tough slick epoxy coating that goes on the bottom of boats. Guys use it a lot on airboats, but I've been having a lot of little leaks that are a pain in the ass and the button of my hull is all scuffed up from dragging over gravel bars.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Buddy of mine put a gorilla hull on his bass boat, it's an official jumper. I have no idea what you're talking about Nuff.

Gator glide.
Wetlander.
Line-X

It like a super tough slick epoxy coating that goes on the bottom of boats. Guys use it a lot on airboats, but I've been having a lot of little leaks that are a pain in the ass and the button of my hull is all scuffed up from dragging over gravel bars.

Your boat riveted? If so, I'd give it a try. That or weld up all the rivets.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Gator glide.
Wetlander.
Line-X

Your boat riveted? If so, I'd give it a try. That or weld up all the rivets.

Yeah. I should be able to do it for less than $200. Probably do it this winter. Supposed to make your boat noticeably faster too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby ea oneal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:40 am

id like to know about this myself. i have an out board shop and see g-hull,s all the time.but my old tin boat is riveted and showing it,s age . like all my gear hand me down,so has history and i love to hunt out of it.see,s a lot of stumps and just rough use .i know bed-liner is a bad deal as we have a 1442 you can't push 15 mph with a 40merk .just too heavy and drag,s the hull to much .
ea oneal

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 pm

I'd throw $10 in the pot to hire someone to got to ea's place and steal his comma key, anybody else?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Lol
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Deltaman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Thinking about putting one on my boat. Mostly for an extra protective layer but the slick will be nice for some things.
Anybody here have any experience with them? Which ones are good and which ones aren't.

I would talk to one of the coating manufacturer's to see if the flexing of your boat hull will affect the coating. If it's aluminum and riveted, chances are, it's thin enough to flex. I tried using several different products to stop the leaks in one I had a while back, but the flexing of the bottom just cracked it and made it worthless. Granted, I spot coated where needed and that might make a dif, but it would be a waste to spend the money and have it do the same, not to mention the add'l weight. Technology has changed quite a bit since that time, and maybe these new coatings will give some, but I'd check first before spending the $.
If you can find somebody that can weld aluminum, might be a better fix.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Deltaman wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Thinking about putting one on my boat. Mostly for an extra protective layer but the slick will be nice for some things.

I would talk to one of the coating manufacturer's to see if the flexing of your boat hull will affect the coating. If it's aluminum and riveted, chances are, it's thin enough to flex. I tried using several different products to stop the leaks in one I had a while back, but the flexing of the bottom just cracked it and made it worthless. Granted, I spot coated where needed and that might make a dif, but it would be a waste to spend the money and have it do the same, not to mention the add'l weight. Technology has changed quite a bit since that time, and maybe these new coatings will give some, but I'd check first before spending the $.
If you can find somebody that can weld aluminum, might be a better fix.

Most of the new slick coating manufactures claim that their stuff is flexible. Some put videos on their website of them coating a piece of aluminum then bending it and hammering it without it cracking. But I will still call and talk with them before I drop the money on anything. Thanks for the input.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby ea oneal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:22 pm

jehler wrote:I'd throw $10 in the pot to hire someone to got to ea's place and steal his comma key, anybody else?

cheap skate!!!! but if you do thanx ! need some hog bait .maybe gator.send a big one :welcome:
ea oneal

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 pm

jehler wrote:I'd throw $10 in the pot to hire someone to got to ea's place and steal his comma key, anybody else?

Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 am

I have no input, but am interested in the outcome
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby AKPirate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:39 am

Goldfish wrote:I have no input, but am interested in the outcome

Vaseline :o
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 am

AKPirate wrote:

that's the income
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby AKPirate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:51 am

Goldfish wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

that's the income

YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

I have Gator Glide on the bottom of my boat and can't compare it to anything, it came with the boat. Looking at their ad's it should work.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby jimdundee » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15 pm

might be to late to respond.....we used Faco Unlimited in Hialeah Fl. they make so many coatings better to call and get the right one for Air Boats I want to say superflex???? anyway you can't back down a ramp without keeping the boat tethered to the frame it slides that easy. In sawgrass it's not bad providing you have the horsepower to blow through the intended clump, when going through cattails it blows right through, small saplings you can feel it just glide over.....disclaimer when you stop you might be stuck GOOD!
http://www.fascoepoxies.com/
if it isn't dangerous it will not be much fun.
jimdundee

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Slick bottom coating...sounds like a back-door accident to me. Oh...thought this was Hawaii.
My bad.
:)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby jimdundee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 am

ha ha with names like....frog spit. steelfex, makes yer taint pucker a little don't it.
if it isn't dangerous it will not be much fun.
jimdundee

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum