Outboards in freezing temps

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Outboards in freezing temps

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Is it ok to run it to the spot and let it sit there knowing the water in it is gonna freeze? It's gonna be in the single digits in the morning and never get above freezing tomorrow, just wondering if its ok to run the engine in that. How would you go about clearing the water out when you get to the spot? Or just leaving it in there is ok?
FlintRiverFowler

Re: Outboards in freezing temps

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Outboards self drain, no worries about freezing
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

jehler wrote:Outboards self drain, no worries about freezing

Thanks for easing my mind.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Take a piece of weedeater line about a foot long. Stick it up the pisser tube as far as you can when you turn the motor off. And keep the lower unit in the water. Almost got stranded its year because I left it trimmed up so it would dip in and out of the water in the waves. Ended up with over an inch of ice on the whole lower unit when I went back to get the boat.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Take a piece of weedeater line about a foot long. Stick it up the pisser tube as far as you can

Dan said that's what he does too.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:18 am

3legged_lab wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Take a piece of weedeater line about a foot long. Stick it up the pisser tube as far as you can

So if that's true, Wonder how we could get him to start shooting pearls?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 am

Someone's gonna hit this one at long ways
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 am

3legged_lab wrote:

That might have been where I got it from. I know I read it on a forum somewhere. Works good.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:40 am

3legged_lab wrote:

Just realized you weren't talking about outboards. :-D
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 am

It didnt freeze up, but we hit some rough ass water and wound up gettin my right eyelid frozen shut a few times, waders were stiff as a board and my jacket was pretty crunchy all morning too. I don't see how you northern guys deal with that crap on a regular basis. It was absolutely miserable.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:It didnt freeze up, but we hit some rough ass water and wound up gettin my right eyelid frozen shut a few times, waders were stiff as a board and my jacket was pretty crunchy all morning too. I don't see how you northern guys deal with that crap on a regular basis. It was absolutely miserable.

We grow these things, I believe you might know them as testicles ;)
BrewGUN

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:It didnt freeze up, but we hit some rough ass water and wound up gettin my right eyelid frozen shut a few times, waders were stiff as a board and my jacket was pretty crunchy all morning too. I don't see how you northern guys deal with that crap on a regular basis. It was absolutely miserable.

We grow hairy Sasquatch knuckles ;)

FIFY
FlintRiverFowler

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:08 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:

We grow hairy Sasquatch knuckles ;)

FIFY

That too, but explain Jehler?
BrewGUN

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Was the water freezing yet? It really starts to suck when you have to go bust ice rings off the decoys every 15 min.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Was the water freezing yet? It really starts to suck when you have to go bust ice rings off the decoys every 15 min.

It wasnt great white north cold. The wind was blowing and keeping the waves up and it was probly 8-10 degrees. But by the time we picked up the decoys they were pretty well covered in ice. The boat was an ice cube. What's normal winter stuff up your way is insanity down here. A few weeks ago when it got down to 4 degrees they canceled school for two days bc it was too cold outside. And possibly too sunny.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

That does suck. A lot.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

That does suck. A lot.

It kept me from going out the last 2 days of the season. I went out on Friday and it was miserable. And we only got 1 mallard. If there woulda been birds I woulda been out. That was the day I thought I was stranded with a frozen outboard too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:35 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

It wasnt great white north cold. The wind was blowing and keeping the waves up and it was probly 8-10 degrees. But by the time we picked up the decoys they were pretty well covered in ice. The boat was an ice cube. What's normal winter stuff up your way is insanity down here. A few weeks ago when it got down to 4 degrees they canceled school for two days bc it was too cold outside. And possibly too sunny.

They canceled schools here today. They said the wind chill was too cold. WTF? This is Michigan.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390588549.874867.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum