Kicker Motor

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Kicker Motor

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:41 am

I wanted to get ya'll's opinion on how to fix my kicker motor.

As of right now my kicker will not trim/tilt because the motor mount does not have a large enough set back from the transom. The current motor mount has a 4.5 inch set back and in that position the "handle" the steering linkage arm connects to (red arrow) hits the top of the transom (blue arrow) when I try to trim it.

25hp1.png

boat.png

What I am thinking is getting a fixed position jack plate that has a 8 inch set back and lifts it up 3 inches. This will keep the cavitation plate .5 inches bellow the bottom of the boat (is that necessary for a kicker?) and the motor head out of the water.

mount 2.png

jack.jpg

The only issue is that this will mean the steering linkage arm will now need a significant bend to reach the connection location because of the 10 inch set back. Kind of like the one bellow... I don't think this will be a problem.

linkage.jpg

Is this the right way to fix this?
Should I go with an adjustable kicker mount or a hydraulic jack plate?
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by Woody on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Re: Kicker Motor

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:48 am

Also, if that is the correct way to fix the mount, I will have a second problem...

The trim itself on the kicker is messed up, the "FF ROD REV LOCK" (61) is not lifting the "LINK, Reverse lock' (74) enough to release the trim locking mechanism.

exploded.png

Has anyone ever taken apart one of these assemblies? Are they easy to deal with? if so I can just buy a new lock rod, if not I can reach up in there and bend the rod, effectively shortening it and it would then lift the link high enough to disengage the trim lock.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 am

It's a kicker. Trim doesn't have to be perfect. As long as the shaft is long enough and it gets you home in a bind, who cares?
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 am

waterfowlman wrote:It's a kicker. Trim doesn't have to be perfect. As long as the shaft is long enough and it gets you home in a bind, who cares?

It wont trim at all... it drags in the water and makes the boat pull hard. I am also concerned I will destroy the lower housing or a bearing dragging it at 35+ mph.

Is this a legitimate concern or am I making something out of nothing?
Woody

Postby jehler » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:10 am

Leave it how it is woody, as it is now it is very effective as a long line picker upper and shallow water detection device
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Woody wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:It's a kicker. Trim doesn't have to be perfect. As long as the shaft is long enough and it gets you home in a bind, who cares?

It wont trim at all... it drags in the water and makes the boat pull hard. I am also concerned I will destroy the lower housing or a bearing dragging it at 35+ mph.

Sorry Woody, I misunderstood your problem.
Can you remove the pin, tilt motor up and then replace pin? If not you might have to improvise with some kind of homemade pin that will fit and allow you to tilt kicker motor up. The small motor should really be out of water when you are running.
waterfowlman

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 am

waterfowlman wrote:
Woody wrote:

Sorry Woody, I misunderstood your problem.
Can you remove the pin, tilt motor up and then replace pin? If not you might have to improvise with some kind of homemade pin that will fit and allow you to tilt kicker motor up. The small motor should really be out of water when you are running.

You can pull the pin out if you're on dry ground, but its not easy to get to while in the back of the boat. If I were taller that might be an option, but if I don't grow a few inches the splash well is to deep to reach over.

A smaller diameter pin might do the trick if I can find one that has the latching clip on it so it doesn't fall out.
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 am

jehler wrote:Leave it how it is woody, as it is now it is very effective as a long line picker upper and shallow water detection device

But then I have to climb in the cold water to retrieve your long line clips.
Woody

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am

Take the pin out if you can't get to it and put a piece of pine 2"x2" in there to block it up. Not too professional but will work.
waterfowlman

Postby Woody » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Problem fixed...
Woody

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum