New Tender Boat, Question...

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

New Tender Boat, Question...

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Okay, so as I posted before I just bought a new tender boat.
It is a 2000 Starcraft 14 LW in near showroom condition. Only problem is, it is shinny white and polished metal.
I need this bad boy to hide from ducks not attract gold digging biatches, so I need to paint it and that is where my questions start to roll in. I am a novice when it comes to giving something a nice paint job... I do however know the basics (take your time and prep work is everything).

I've spent a couple hours reading about boat painting at the four corners of the internet over the last couple days and it has truly left me more confused than when I started. And with that said I don't know where to start... it has the nice factory paint finish, do I need to remove that with acetone and sanding or can I simply sand that up a bit and spray primer right over top of it?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Re: New Tender Boat, Question...

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 pm

If it's aluminum just use a good etching primer and then spray some parkers boat paint on there. Worked well on the Shiney boat I did.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Olly wrote:If it's aluminum just use a good etching primer and then spray some parkers boat paint on there. Worked well on the Shiney boat I did.

So, I don't need to strip the paint at all?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:If it's aluminum just use a good etching primer and then spray some parkers boat paint on there. Worked well on the Shiney boat I did.

I'm sorry I can't see your picture for some reason. If it's got paint already on it I would leave the paint, scuff it up really good and then paint right over it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Woody wrote:

If it's got good paint your in luck. Odds are the factory put a better bonding coat on than you can do. Getting paint to bond to paint is easy...paint to aluminum is a little more difficult.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Just rattle can that bitch!
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Just rattle can that bitch!

No, it's already going to hurt a bit to paint over such a pretty paint job... to rattle can it would damn near kill me.

Its going to be done with a HVLP gun.
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Woody wrote:

No, it's already going to hurt a bit to paint over such a pretty paint job... to rattle can it would damn near kill me.

Use parkers Duck boat paint I did and it worked awesome.

Just get you a bunch of those green Scotch Brite pads and go to town scuffing it. When you're done scuffing cleaning with alcohol to remove dust and oils from your hands. Remember painting is 90% prep work and 10% painting.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:

Just get you a bunch of those green Scotch Brite pads and go to town scuffing it. When you're done scuffing cleaning with alcohol to remove dust and oils from your hands. Remember painting is 90% prep work and 10% painting.

Now when you say scuffing... you mean leave the surface roughed up?

Wont that make the finished product less smooth?
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:

Yea and that's the idea. You want the new paint to have a rough service to adhere to.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:

Yea and that's the idea. You want the new paint to have a rough service to adhere to.

So, I need to...

1) rough up the current surface
2) wipe down with alcohol
3) primer
4) sand
5) wipe down with alcohol
6) primer
7) wipe down with alcohol
8) final paint

Are those the right steps?
Woody

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Shake, spray. Open another can...repeat. C'mon dude...the instant you say it's a duck boat...it's a duck boat for life.
Just put on your Nike's, buy 12 cans of assorted camo colors and start spraying. You'll know what colors...
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:48 pm

aunt betty wrote:Shake, spray. Open another can...repeat. C'mon dude...the instant you say it's a duck boat...it's a duck boat for life.
Just put on your Nike's, buy 12 cans of assorted camo colors and start spraying. You'll know what colors...

Nope, I like having nice things and doing stuff the right way... I refuse to use spray paint.
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Woody wrote:
3) primer
4) sand
6) primer
8) final paint

1) Rough up current paint not missing a singke inch.
2) Clean surface of all dirt.
3) Final paint.

No need to shoot primer if you don't want to because the paint on there will act as the base coat. If you are painting any bare aluminum you will need to prime it with a self etching primer. It's a special primer that uses acid to etch the aluminum so it can stick to it.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
3) primer
4) sand
6) primer
8) final paint

3) Final paint.

No need to shoot primer if you don't want to because the paint on there will act as the base coat. If you are painting any bare aluminum you will need to prime it with a self etching primer. It's a special primer that uses acid to etch the aluminum so it can stick to it.

Some of the boat is bare metal some is painted... guess I will have to mix and match the process up.

Looked up this parker duck boat paint and it looks like it comes in tan or tan... do they make it in green or grey?
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
3) primer
4) sand
6) primer
8) final paint

3) Final paint.

Some of the boat is bare metal some is painted... guess I will have to mix and match the process up.

Looked up this parker duck boat paint and it looks like it comes in tan or tan... do they make it in green or grey?

Then I would just prime the entire boat.

Yes they make it in lots of colors. I didn't hunter green.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
3) primer
4) sand
6) primer
8) final paint

3) Final paint.

Cabela's just must not carry the other colors.
Woody

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:
3) primer
4) sand
6) primer
8) final paint

3) Final paint.

Cabela's just must not carry the other colors.

I called up parkers direct. I did a 16ft boat with a gallon. That was 3 coats.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Did you use a sprayer/gun, Olly?
Woody

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Just go to an Auto Parts store and get self etching primer. Take the color you want to the hardware store and have them mix it to your specs. Prep it as stated and paint away.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Woody wrote:Did you use a sprayer/gun, Olly?

Yup a cheap one from harbor freight.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:15 pm

From an opinion I read earlier(different site), using self etching primer on existing paint is not a good idea. That should be used on bare metal only and epoxy primer should be used over existing pain.
Is that correct?
If I do that should I feather it together with the epoxy primer over the self etching?

Thanks for the help guys!
Woody

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Just get gray automotive primer.
assateague

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:32 pm

assateague wrote:Just get gray automotive primer.

Does that work on aluminum? I used this.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-self ... -gray.html
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 pm

If it's clean, I'd say yes.
assateague

Postby Jimw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 pm

I used to work in a body shop that did a lot of fire truck repair (aluminum body's) and I've also painted numerous aluminum duck boats. If I were you I would go over the whole boat with 220 grit paper on a DA sander, the bare aluminum parts and also the painted parts. Wipe it all down with wax and grease remover, spray the bare aluminum areas with an acid etch primer, then spray the whole thing with the color of choice. I believe the keys to good paint adhesion to bare aluminum is a rough surface, cleanliness, and acid etch primer. Good luck.
Jimw

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Jimw wrote:I used to work in a body shop that did a lot of fire truck repair (aluminum body's) and I've also painted numerous aluminum duck boats. If I were you I would go over the whole boat with 220 grit paper on a DA sander, the bare aluminum parts and also the painted parts. Wipe it all down with wax and grease remover, spray the bare aluminum areas with an acid etch primer, then spray the whole thing with the color of choice. I believe the keys to good paint adhesion to bare aluminum is a rough surface, cleanliness, and acid etch primer. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, have you posted similar advice elsewhere? It sounds awfully familiar to something I read earlier and I believe his name was Jim?

Anyways, thanks for the in put... Welcome, and great first post!
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Jimw wrote:I used to work in a body shop that did a lot of fire truck repair (aluminum body's) and I've also painted numerous aluminum duck boats. If I were you I would go over the whole boat with 220 grit paper on a DA sander, the bare aluminum parts and also the painted parts. Wipe it all down with wax and grease remover, spray the bare aluminum areas with an acid etch primer, then spray the whole thing with the color of choice. I believe the keys to good paint adhesion to bare aluminum is a rough surface, cleanliness, and acid etch primer. Good luck.

:welcome:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Woody wrote:

Just out of curiosity, have you posted similar advice elsewhere? It sounds awfully familiar to something I read earlier and I believe his name was Jim?

Anyways, thanks for the in put... Welcome, and great first post!

You probably read it on DHC Woody :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 am

Thanks for the reasonable advice! Welcome to the forum.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum