Trolling motor suggestions

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Trolling motor suggestions

Postby Olly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm

I've never bought a trolling motor for a boat before and was wondering if you guys thought this would be good enough.

http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Edge-F ... -container

Looking at the 12V 55lb foot controled model with a 52" shaft. I have a 17x50 boat and I've seen a few other similar sized boats with the same size motor. I'm not a all day every day fisherman so this should be okay I'm thinking.

Just looking for opinions before I ride over to bass pro and buy one.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Trolling motor suggestions

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 pm

I'd think so. We used to use a 12v55 Minnkota on a 16x60 mod-v that we bow fished off of and it would move us around for 5-6 hours with no problem, and could have gone longer but that was about all the longer we'd stay out.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Too bad it has to be a foot control because I have a brand-new 45 pound thrust Minnecota I am getting ready to sell. Someone is going to get a good deal. But it is a stern mount
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Tomkat wrote:Too bad it has to be a foot control because I have a brand-new 45 pound thrust Minnecota I am getting ready to sell. Someone is going to get a good deal. But it is a stern mount

Literally the exact opposite of what I want. Plus I can't even run a transom mounted trolling motor.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks tho
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 pm

It'll be plenty. 45lb on my dads 1442 pushes it about 6mph. Usually only fish with it on 2 or 3 speed outa 10.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 pm

I've often wondered if a trolling motor would work on my hybrid. It'd be nice to have the reliability, but I'm afraid I'd get pushed to England if the tide was against me. And I'd probably forget to charge the battery.

Never dealt with a trolling motor, so while anyone with more experience is offering suggestions for Olly, feel free to throw some in here as well.

The boat, me, and all my gear is only about 300 pounds, if that, but the tide worries me. If I'm running against it and the wind, my 3.5 will only push me about 5mph, wide open.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 pm

assateague wrote:I've often wondered if a trolling motor would work on my hybrid. It'd be nice to have the reliability, but I'm afraid I'd get pushed to England if the tide was against me. And I'd probably forget to charge the battery.

Never dealt with a trolling motor, so while anyone with more experience is offering suggestions for Olly, feel free to throw some in here as well.

The boat, me, and all my gear is only about 300 pounds, if that, but the tide worries me. If I'm running against it and the wind, my 3.5 will only push me about 5mph, wide open.

How fast does your 3.5 push you without the tide and wind?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Trolling motors are expensive though. To get one big enough to push the boat the way you would need would run you double the cost of the boat maybe more. And batteries are heavy and a pain in the ass to recharge all the time.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Minus tide and wind, in still water, about 12-15. I'd choose where I was going if I ever took the troller, and not go to spots across big water, more for secluded marshes. Would a smaller trolling motor get me about a mile and back in a back marsh?
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm

A 12v, I mean.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:08 pm

With no problem. A 45lb troller would push you at least 5mph I'd guess...probably more. And it would run full tilt for at least 2 hours on one group 24 deep cycle. So you'd probably get close to 10 miles on a battery. I wouldn't trust it for that far though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

assateague wrote: I'd probably forget to charge the battery.

Haha haha
Never woulda guessed
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:03 pm

I saw someone last year with a hybrid likes yours Jim. It was moving pretty good down the marsh
Tomkat

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Tomkat wrote:Too bad it has to be a foot control because I have a brand-new 45 pound thrust Minnecota I am getting ready to sell. Someone is going to get a good deal. But it is a stern mount

This post belongs in the classifieds, not here.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Tomkat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:54 am

Ron stick to your monster titty posts,'okay?
Tomkat

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:22 am

55 will be more than enough Olly. I ran a 55 on 18' sled(84" beam width). I ran it all day and sometimes a couple days. It will be more than you need for your boat. And, I would also stick with Minnkota.
One bit of advise, run it on separate battery and get in the habit of putting it on the charger at the end of everyday.
QH's Paw

Postby gila-river » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am

my last boat was a 12' v-hull. I ran a stern mounted 12v 45# minn kota. Longest I was out was a 12 hour night fishing trip. it wasn't constantly wide open but got a lot of use. I didn't notice it getting sluggish at all. I always charged the battery and never had any issues. I plan on buying a 55# for my hybrid.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby capt1972 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 am

Olly wrote:I've never bought a trolling motor for a boat before and was wondering if you guys thought this would be good enough.

http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Edge-F ... -container

Looking at the 12V 55lb foot controled model with a 52" shaft. I have a 17x50 boat and I've seen a few other similar sized boats with the same size motor. I'm not a all day every day fisherman so this should be okay I'm thinking.

Just looking for opinions before I ride over to bass pro and buy one.

this would be fine
http://www.basspro.com/MotorGuide-Pro-Series-Freshwater-Trolling-Motors/product/74173/

do you need 52"? is your boat that high out of the water?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

QH's Paw wrote:55 will be more than enough Olly. I ran a 55 on 18' sled(84" beam width). I ran it all day and sometimes a couple days. It will be more than you need for your boat. And, I would also stick with Minnkota.
One bit of advise, run it on separate battery and get in the habit of putting it on the charger at the end of everyday.

Good advice!
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Am I gonna need some special charger for this thing if I go that route?
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm

assateague wrote:Am I gonna need some special charger for this thing if I go that route?

A 2amp 12 volt charger. 10amp works, but it's harder on the batteries.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm

assateague wrote:Am I gonna need some special charger for this thing if I go that route?

Just a trickle charger. That's what we use for the batteries in our boat.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Ok, good. Didn't know if I needed some sort of deep cycle marine recharger" or some shit. Because Lord knows, when you put "marine" in front of anything, or paint it white, the price triples.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Your standard car battery charger usually has a deep cycle setting. At least the two I've had did. That's all that the "marine" battery is.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 am

Goldfish wrote:Your standard car battery charger usually has a deep cycle setting. At least the two I've had did. That's all that the "marine" battery is.

Funny, I always thought they were marine because they float.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:39 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Your standard car battery charger usually has a deep cycle setting. At least the two I've had did. That's all that the "marine" battery is.

Funny, I always thought they were marine because they float.

So Assa didn't have to go diving for that new battery that gkr lost, he'd just have to wait for it to be blown to shore?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:13 am

assateague wrote:I've often wondered if a trolling motor would work on my hybrid. It'd be nice to have the reliability, but I'm afraid I'd get pushed to England if the tide was against me. And I'd probably forget to charge the battery.

Ok Jim, it's 12-13 lbs of thrust per HP. So, if you had a 55lbs thrust motor that is about a 4 1/2 HP electric troll motor. Thats more than you have now and less weight probably too. If you had something like that on you hybrid sneakboat, you would probably want to cut the shaft down. I'm guessing the shortest shaft they sell is 36". I believe someone is marketing one that is already designed short shaft for kayak use. I can't remember if it is Motor Guide or Minnkota. I'm sure you could find it online if you look.
Also, wax the bottom of your boat before the season. It really helps with drag. We notice it alot on drift boats. It's the same thing they do for surf board too.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:46 am

I think I asked before, and was told that the shaft has nothing but wires inside, so cutting it isn't a problem.

I had no clue it would be more than what I had on there now. Hmmmm.....
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:55 pm

assateague wrote:I think I asked before, and was told that the shaft has nothing but wires inside, so cutting it isn't a problem.

I had no clue it would be more than what I had on there now. Hmmmm.....

I've pulled one apart before to turn the head around. Mine was nothing more than a shaft. Cut away.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum