Surface drives

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Surface drives

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 pm

What is everyone running here? JR, mud buddy? What models and have they been a good motor for you?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Surface drives

Postby 3geese4me » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I've heard good things about Pro Drive. When I move to Texas in a couple years I will be buying one, or an airboat.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm

3geese4me wrote:I've heard good things about Pro Drive. When I move to Texas in a couple years I will be buying one, or an airboat.

From what I've been reading looks like they handle closet to an outboard. Just seems like way to many mechanical parts to get beat around. Many people do run them though.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3geese4me » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Wonder how cheap they are to fix. I haven't really heard of anyone having any issues with them though either. They just seemed like the best bang for the buck in my eyes.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I have a stock 35 Mud Buddy and I'm amazed at the shit I've put it through. No reverse but never been a big deal for me.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Seems like it's the hopped up mud buddy motors that get the bad press. Other than that it seems like people pay more for options like reverse and power trim. Been looking but don't have any first hand experience. Do like the pro drives. Ron does run a pro Drive as well now that I think about it, hopefully he will chime in.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:34 pm

I have a ProDrive on my boat and it works great. Been modified a little and for hunting and fishing it will haul a load. Surface drive motors (mostly 36hp) are not really fast by outboard standards but will run shallow without burning up and are easy to work on.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Ive been very pleased with both mud motors I've owned, a long tail and now a surface drive. Both can get the job done, just different. The SDs do handle nearly identical to an outboard and have better load carrying and top speed. The LTs I compare to putting your truck in 4 low, they grunt through, I also liked how it broke ice. I could drive slow, pull the stick up high and cruise without the prop hitting any ice.
I dont know much about the current new models available, I sort of quit following all the new stuff after I bought mine. If you're curious though, mine is a mud buddy 45. Its the 35 with dual SS exhaust, different cam, roller rockers, and I did the poor man's carb job - port & polish intake, carb spacer, k&n filter.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 am

Been pretty reliable JR?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Been pretty reliable JR?

So far. I had 140 hours on my lt with zero break downs, and have about 180 on my surface drive and it finally started giving me a little trouble last season. Just intermittent, I think im losing a coil, just haven't bothered to fool with it yet.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Been pretty reliable JR?

So far. I had 140 hours on my lt with zero break downs, and have about 180 on my surface drive and it finally started giving me a little trouble last season. Just intermittent, I think im losing a coil, just haven't bothered to fool with it yet.

Sounds good man, thanks.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:00 pm

I will add that little long tail was a fuel injected 27hp Kawasaki and that sumbitch always started no matter how cold it was out.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:15 pm

My old long tail was awesome. I wish a long tail went as fast as a SD I'd still have one.

Longtail = slow farm tractor
SD = AWD sports car
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 pm

How are hours calculated? Hours that the motor is running, even at idle, or hours that the motor is in drive/reverse?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby capt1972 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:How are hours calculated? Hours that the motor is running, even at idle, or hours that the motor is in drive/reverse?

running
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:How are hours calculated? Hours that the motor is running, even at idle, or hours that the motor is in drive/reverse?

A tiny tach
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:01 pm

If a piston is moving, it is counting.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:12 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

A tiny tach

Ha I still need to go buy one of those!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

If a piston is moving, it is counting.

It reads the spark on one of the plug wires.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

A tiny tach

Surprised yours didnt come with one.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

A tiny tach

I just bought one. Thanks for reminding me and I think they're a option you have to get. None of the ones at bass pro have them.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:21 pm

I know what you're thinking, I'm psychic.

That damned river...wish my boat would go through that shallows by the launch. Pushing it upstream ain't happening.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FF, do you think my pintail with that 40# thrust motor would be worth hauling up there?
We could both use our pintails to lay in and tear up them mallards and geese.
Hunt on one of them islands.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

A tiny tach

I just bought one. Thanks for reminding me and I think they're a option you have to get. None of the ones at bass pro have them.

Huh, I just thought they all came with one, maybe its just that my local dealer puts one on every motor before he sells it. Anyway, real handy for setting your trim height while running.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Huh, I just thought they all came with one, maybe its just that my local dealer puts one on every motor before he sells it. Anyway, real handy for setting your trim height while running.

I've gotten to wear I can set mine by "feel" I can tell the second the boat slows down or speeds up even just a very little.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 pm

aunt betty wrote:
I know what you're thinking, I'm psychic.

That damned river...wish my boat would go through that shallows by the launch. Pushing it upstream ain't happening.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FF, do you think my pintail with that 40# thrust motor would be worth hauling up there?
We could both use our pintails to lay in and tear up them mallards and geese.
Hunt on one of them islands.

I'm going to find out!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Huh, I just thought they all came with one, maybe its just that my local dealer puts one on every motor before he sells it. Anyway, real handy for setting your trim height while running.

I've gotten to wear I can set mine by "feel" I can tell the second the boat slows down or speeds up even just a very little.

You'll like the tach, its useful to know exactly where you're running. My boat peaks speed between 4150-4200.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum