Tohatsu 40 hp problems

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Tohatsu 40 hp problems

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 am

assateague wrote:And I'm Jimmy Neverevenownedaboatmotoruntilayearandahalfago. :lol:

That's your middle name, your last name is don'tknowenoughtofillthegastank.
Oh, BTW Assa, running out of gas is not a carburetor problem, it's an operator problem. :lol:
How many pulls of the cord does it take to start an outboard with know gas in the tank?
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

man, assa takes another below the belt :lol:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Baysider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:48 am

QH's Paw wrote:
assateague wrote:And I'm Jimmy Neverevenownedaboatmotoruntilayearandahalfago. :lol:

Oh, BTW Assa, running out of gas is not a carburetor problem, it's an operator problem. :lol:
How many pulls of the cord does it take to start an outboard with know gas in the tank?

If you put it in gear and pulled the cord could you still make it home without gas. Could be a money saver there. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 am

QH's Paw wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I know it's more than 104 with the right hand and 88 with the left.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

QH's Paw wrote:

Is Know Gas that new fancy stuff with the engine cleaning, greener, money saving stuff added in so it's better than regular gas? I hear that new stuff isn't good for old motors so that may be why it took so many pulls Assa.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Baysider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Goldfish wrote:Is Know Gas that new fancy stuff with the engine cleaning

Your so far out of the now its not even funny. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Goldfish » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Baysider wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Is Know Gas that new fancy stuff with the engine cleaning

Your so far out of the now its not even funny. :lol:

My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby B-Rad1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:25 am

I see this all the time. No doubt it's either one of two things a dirty carb - or sucking air from a bad intake gasket or gas line. Those quick connects are famous for sucking air. If you have a see through fuel filter n see air bubbles are forming as wells as the filter is not staying full of fuel then most likely its sucking air and if its not it than it's prob a dirty carb

As for the carb remove form the motor and drop the bowl, pull the float pin and remove the float, there will have a needle attached be care not to loose. Once you get the bowl off you will see two brass screws looking things, one is high speed jet and the other is the idle jet, pull them out. Get you a gallon of carb cleaner or mineral sprits and submerge the entire carb over night. next day use a air compressor and blow out all the ports real good then re assemble and you should be good.

1. Stay away from fuel with ethanol
-ethanol will gum up a carb fast, tear up the interior of your gas lines and cause o rings and gaskets to swell and crack
2. Use fuel stabilizer (sea foam)
3. If your going to put you boat up for the winter disconnect the fuel and let it burn the remainder of the fuel out the carb
B-Rad1

Postby broccoli » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Well fellas the new power pack solved the problem. With my 16x52 .100 xpress me (200) my buddy (150) 8 gallons of gas full 55 qt cooler 2 batteries winch and about 350lbs of drift wood we averaged 27 mph for about 25 miles
broccoli

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, I figured it had to be the power pack
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 pm

What'd I tell you? Timing/ignition issue.
assateague

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum