Boat blind camo netting

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Boat blind camo netting

Postby KyMike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 am

My boat blind is in need of new camo netting. I know there are a lot of different brands. Would like to hear some opinions on the best or worst and netting vs grass mats? Mostly will be hunting rivers and timber.
KyMike

Re: Boat blind camo netting

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 am

My only first hand experience is my raffia cover I made for my kayak, and I'm happy with that. It's held up pretty well. My buddy has the grass mats on his boat and it looks really good against other cattails, but I have no idea how durable they are. My other buddy had a shaggy camo Ghillie blind that did a decent job of hiding and was plenty durable.

As for brands on any of that, I don't know what they used
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am

I've been really happy with the mud buddy shaggy pro material. Lots of colors and texture to help break up the shape. You can roll it up and fasten it to keep it out of the way to which is something a grass mat wont be able to do. Spendy but you get what you pay for, I've got 8 seasons on mine so far and still looking good.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby KyMike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 pm

I looked at it at their website. I really like it but man is it pricy! Wow.

I've used killer weed and raffia. They are good stuff but how many pounds would it take to do a whole boat blind?
KyMike

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:33 pm

That raffia that you can see on my blind I added after the fact.

I imagine it would take a shit ton to do the whole boat.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm

You can buy bulk raffia from jstern or something like that. You have to buy like 20# bales which is enough to do 2 16' boats from what I hear.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Boat blind camo netting

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:40 am

Just found this raffia table skirting. I could do a double wrap around my boat and one on the roof to cover the shooting hole. And it would still roll up for $85.

http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com/produ ... ts_id=2308
KyMike

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 am

Looks like it's perfect
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:54 am

You can typically find it on sale cheaper than that if you look. Cabelas sells it under their northern flight name, Avery is fast grass (I think), etc. get whatever color tan or "natural" and you can dye it darker into browns and greens. I used Rit dye to change the color on mine for my kayak cover
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:17 pm

That looks great. The only drawback is buying enough to fully cover a 16' Avery pop up blind and flip top. What color Rit dye did you use?
KyMike

Postby Goldfish » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:08 pm

A green and a reddish brown. Can't remember what they called the colors, but I picked them up at a local craft store
Goldfish

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:54 pm

You do one at a time or mix them together.
KyMike

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:15 pm

KyMike wrote:That looks great. The only drawback is buying enough to fully cover a 16' Avery pop up blind and flip top. What color Rit dye did you use?

Check this out. These guys supply to most of the places you buy the little bundles from what I've been told. And you can buy direct from them.
http://jstern.com/
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:19 pm

KyMike wrote:Just found this raffia table skirting. I could do a double wrap around my boat and one on the roof to cover the shooting hole. And it would still roll up for $85.

My buddy had a couple of those that were leftover after a luau party and they worked but dont cover very densely if you know what I mean. We ended up cutting the strands of the main line and made bundles out of it.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
KyMike

Postby Goldfish » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:04 pm

KyMike wrote:You do one at a time or mix them together.

One color at a time. My cover is reversible, with green on one side and brown on the other (other than the tan base)
Goldfish

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
KyMike wrote:That looks great. The only drawback is buying enough to fully cover a 16' Avery pop up blind and flip top. What color Rit dye did you use?

Check this out. These guys supply to most of the places you buy the little bundles from what I've been told. And you can buy direct from them.

This is good stuff. You can pick from a bunch of different colors to match whatever you're hiding in. Find someone to split with, or keep the extra for replacement. They'll send you a swatch of their colors if you ask.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:50 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
KyMike wrote:Just found this raffia table skirting. I could do a double wrap around my boat and one on the roof to cover the shooting hole. And it would still roll up for $85.

My buddy had a couple of those that were leftover after a luau party and they worked but dont cover very densely if you know what I mean. We ended up cutting the strands of the main line and made bundles out of it.

True definitely not very dense. Thought about keeping my blind and just adding it to the top of my current blind to break it up and give it some 3D effect.
KyMike

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Check this out. These guys supply to most of the places you buy the little bundles from what I've been told. And you can buy direct from them.

This is good stuff. You can pick from a bunch of different colors to match whatever you're hiding in. Find someone to split with, or keep the extra for replacement. They'll send you a swatch of their colors if you ask.

The order sheet did not list a price for the 25# bag. Do you know what it costs?
KyMike

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:00 pm

KyMike wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Check this out. These guys supply to most of the places you buy the little bundles from what I've been told. And you can buy direct from them.

The order sheet did not list a price for the 25# bag. Do you know what it costs?

You have to call. But I think it's $100-$150. Don't quote me on that though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:12 pm

KyMike wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

True definitely not very dense. Thought about keeping my blind and just adding it to the top of my current blind to break it up and give it some 3D effect.

The raffia bundles that are pictured on my blind are from the craft dept of Wal-Mart if that helps ya any. I think I bought 5 or 6 1lb bundles for about $2 each back when I did it.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:12 pm

We ordered in the fall. I'll try to dig up my email...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:27 pm

I believe that we bought 25#, with 6 or 8 different colors.

$114 for the raffia, and another $27 for shipping.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby KyMike » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks fowl and I be checking out Walmart too.
KyMike

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum