For all the boat experts

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: For all the boat experts

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am

I don't know if anyone makes them, never looked, but really it's not much more than some flat metal. I think I remember you either had access to a welder, or knew someone who welded so they could put one on pretty easy.

To figure out what general angle to put it tho, I would mark a spot below the handle on the boat floor and try and take a tape measure with you out on the water and wind her up. When you are cruising and have the prop just slightly below the surface of the water, measure the distance from the handle to that spot on the floor. Then when you are on shore you can hold the motor in place to setup the proper angle. That should get you in the general area, but I'm sure it'll take some fine tuning once attached.

Being on a little four rivers, if someone does make a cav plate for that motor I'm not sure the angle would be right unless they make one that is specifically for long tails that are mounted only inches out of the water and not on the top of your boat transom.

(I should say that none of my theories with this have been proven. I was going to do these things with that mud motor I had without a cav plate but never got around to doing it before I sold it. Interject your own logic accordingly)
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 am

A cav plate is a must. Its like a fin in the water helps the prop glide just under the surface which is what you want with long tails.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 05, 2014 11:28 am

Hmm, when looking to see if anyone makes cav plates for Thai kits, I ran across this:

[quote= sps mid motor website] Q. Why dont your mud motors have a cavitation plate above the propeller like other mud motors?A. The Thai longtail is a surface-piercing design, and operates differently from all other mud motors, which run sub-surface.  Our surface piercing propellers do not utilize, nor do they need a cavitation plate.  If you attempted to mount a cavitation plate on a Thai longtail, it would be out of the water.  Because cavitation plates create drag, catch weeds, and are unnecessary with surface piercing propellers, we find them to be about as useful as ashtrays on motorcycles.[/quote]

If there are different props made to surface, I know nothing about them. But like I mentioned, the slight speed you might gain, I would personally give up to not have to constantly push the prop into the water.
Last edited by Goldfish on Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 am

Olly wrote:A cav plate is a must. Its like a fin in the water helps the prop glide just under the surface which is what you want with long tails.

I could see the good of it. Otherwise it makes you work for it. Goldie the dude who wrote that has never driven one.
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am

Tk your little Thai motor can get away with it I bet because of the small HP but id be looking to put one on there if it were me. Take a picture kt a go devil cav plate to a welder and thank me later.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am

Good advice. I can drive it as is but it is a constant arm wrestling match.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am

Tomkat wrote:
Olly wrote:A cav plate is a must. Its like a fin in the water helps the prop glide just under the surface which is what you want with long tails.

I could see the good of it. Otherwise it makes you work for it. Goldie the dude who wrote that has never driven one.

Lol, that's straight from the sps mud motor kit website. Regardless, is still want one.
Goldfish

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum