Ducking out a Jon Boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Ducking out a Jon Boat

Postby Tail Whipped » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm

I just picked up this 14 ft Jon.Originally it was a pine tree green I just painted the Camo pattern my first go at it.
My question is it mandatory to camo the inside ? Inside is rhino liner currently. What about the carpet ?
Plan is just to use camo pattern cloth and build a hinged pop up blind

Any suggestions on hunter position? I have plenty of welding experience and welding equipment not afraid to modify.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tail Whipped

Re: Ducking out a Jon Boat

Postby Tail Whipped » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Current layout
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tail Whipped

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Nice rig! 15 or 25 on the back? Do a search for a scissor blind on here and you will find a few good write ups. That boat should do you well. Don't bother with painting the inside but some people here won't give you the time of day until you paint that motor! Carpet is up to you, it will probably get nasty but whatever works. I'd just toss it personally.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tail Whipped » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Nice rig! 15 or 25 on the back? Do a search for a scissor blind on here and you will find a few good write ups. That boat should do you well. Don't bother with painting the inside but some people here won't give you the time of day until you paint that motor! Carpet is up to you, it will probably get nasty but whatever works. I'd just toss it personally.

I have a extra cowl cover which will get camo. Its a 9.9 Yami does 22 kt's with 3 adults . The 9.9 may have a bit of an issue when we have a ripping out going tide but 95% of our spots are mild tidle and lakes all typical 1/2 hr runs tops.
Some lakes we plan on hunting have a 9.9 HP limit.

I hear ya on the carpet. Its going to get hammered with mud.May just pull it go with no slip truck bed rhino liner over plywood. Easy breasy clean up with the power washer.

BTW that's how I found this site searching for how to: Scissor Blind on Jon Boat
Last edited by Tail Whipped on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tail Whipped

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Nothing is necessary. Except a gun and shells, everything else is for the hunters. Be still, listen, watch, learn.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tail Whipped » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:26 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Nothing is necessary. Except a gun and shells, everything else is for the hunters. Be still, listen, watch, learn.

True........ very true add some patients and confidence.....
Tail Whipped

Postby Tail Whipped » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:34 pm

What about hunter position?
I'm thinking of a lower profile lay out
pedestal seats removed perhaps making beach chair style seats on the deck.
Tail Whipped

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Tail Whipped wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Nothing is necessary. Except a gun and shells, everything else is for the hunters. Be still, listen, watch, learn.

True........ very true add some patients and confidence.....

What I mean is, duck hunting can cover the full spectrum from bare minimalist to tens of thousands of dollars invested. Less luxury just might mean you have to work a little harder.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Personally I'd gut as much of the boat as possible. All the way up to the middle bench if it is possible structurally. More open room the better. Then just use lawn chairs to sit in in the boat. Anything permanent always ends up being in the wrong spot. And the less unnecessary stuff in the boat the lighter it is. And lighter is always better. As far as a blind...there are several threads in here with different styles. Low profile is great, but you still need to be able to move while staying hidden.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Nice looking boat. I would suggest keeping it as light as possible if you're hunting tidal waters. Its no fun waiting for the tide to come back in because your boat is high and dry. I like being able to drag the boat back to the water.

The amount of camouflaging you need to do will depend on the species you are after. Adapt to your situation, sit still and you will kill some ducks.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby flight control » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Tail Whipped wrote:What about hunter position?
I'm thinking of a lower profile lay out
pedestal seats removed perhaps making beach chair style seats on the deck.

I've hunted somewhat comfortably sitting on a cushion on the floor. You can't get your profile much lower than that
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum