Need Help on 1448 Jon boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Postby hrcooper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:46 pm

i need help on what size motor to run on a 1448, with people, guns, decoys, more gear, and a dog
If it flies, it dies, and fetched by the "HR" Cooper
hrcooper

Re: Need Help on 1448 Jon boat

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Either a 9 or a 15 should do it. That's a small boat for all that gear!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby hrcooper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:00 pm

2 people max, 40-60lb dog, and probably around 24 decoys
hrcooper

Postby hrcooper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 pm

my buddy has a 1448 with a 25, I've been in it with 3 people and 24 decoys
hrcooper

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 pm

hrcooper wrote:my buddy has a 1448 with a 25, I've been in it with 3 people and 24 decoys

Then get a 25, only have 2 people in the boat, and make your buddy haul all your gear. You will blow him out of the water! Just make sure your buddy knows where you are going so he can drop off all your gear on his way to whatever spot he gets stuck with. :thumbsup: I like it, lets call it a plan and move on. Any other help you need feel free to ask.

By the way, Welcome! I really have no idea about boats and motors, so you can take my advice or not. Up to you. Stick around a while, good group of guys here that like to hunt and have a little fun.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 pm

hrcooper wrote:my buddy has a 1448 with a 25, I've been in it with 3 people and 24 decoys

Different 25's can weigh totally different. I would rather go just a little slower and be a lot safer. You hang too heavy of a motor off the back of a small boat like that and you might end up swamping the stern.

Oh and welcome to WFF!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I think the two stroke 25 i had weighed less than the 15 hp long shaft 4 stroke I had. I'm pretty happy with my 15 horse honda 4 stroke. It runs 21-22 with two people and a light amt of gear. good enough. It's not a race when you're hauling all that weight. More about safety so as long as your engine can plane your boat when it's loaded down you'll be good. 15-25 horse is all you need.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby hrcooper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome... I'm not about speed, had a near death experience on a boat last year, I rather get there earlier and take my time getting to where I'm going, than have a faster boat and think i can drag around because i can run near 30mph
hrcooper

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 pm

If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.
My dad has a 1442 with a 15 and it will barley plane out 2 guys and 3 doz decoys. Every time I used it before I got my boat I wished it had a 25 on the back.

48" is wide and will push a lot of water with a heavy load in a short boat. I'd doubt you could plane out that boat loaded down with people and gear with a 15hp.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.
My dad has a 1442 with a 15 and it will barley plane out 2 guys and 3 doz decoys. Every time I used it before I got my boat I wished it had a 25 on the back.

48" is wide and will push a lot of water with a heavy load in a short boat. I'd doubt you could plane out that boat loaded down with people and gear with a 15hp.

That's why you run a 15 FOUR stroke for planing heavy loads. My 1640 planes at 1/4 throttle. Very quick bc of the torque. 4 blade prop will allegedly plane a load faster too.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:40 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.

That's why you run a 15 FOUR stroke for planing heavy loads. My 1640 planes at 1/4 throttle. Very quick bc of the torque. 4 blade prop will allegedly plane a load faster too.

Never been on a boat with a 4 stroke. I don't like the extra weight they bring. But I can't say a 15 4 banger wouldn't work good for you on the 1448
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Never been on a boat with a 4 stroke. I don't like the extra weight they bring. But I can't say a 15 4 banger wouldn't work good for you on the 1448

Why not? It's got so much low end. Pushes it right up out of the water. I can seriously run on plane at like 10 mph. Maybe less. It jumps up quick though.
Oh never mind you said CAN'T. My bad.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Why not? It's got so much low end. Pushes it right up out of the water. I can seriously run on plane at like 10 mph. Maybe less. It jumps up quick though.

My dad's 15 won't plane till close to 15mph. And with 3 guys no gear it just gets there. Add gear and it plows.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

My dad's 15 won't plane till close to 15mph. And with 3 guys no gear it just gets there. Add gear and it plows.

That bc it dat 2 stroke. I'm sure with the same boat empty it would outrun my 4 stroke all day.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:57 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.

That bc it dat 2 stroke. I'm sure with the same boat empty it would outrun my 4 stroke all day.[/quote]
Runs 22 with just me and a gas tank. But that's with a shitty prop.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="FlintRiverFowler"][quote="NuffDaddy"]If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.

That bc it dat 2 stroke. I'm sure with the same boat empty it would outrun my 4 stroke all day.[/quote]
Runs 22 with just me and a gas tank. But that's with a shitty prop.[/quote]
Last time I had mine out. It was me, Olly, 6 gal of gas. 45 qt cooler full of ice and beer and some fishing tackle running 21-22. I still haven't ran this engine with just me and a gas can.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"][quote="FlintRiverFowler"][quote="NuffDaddy"]If it's a 20" transom go with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's 15" transom go with a 15 2 stroke.

Runs 22 with just me and a gas tank. But that's with a shitty prop.[/quote]
Last time I had mine out. It was me, Olly, 6 gal of gas. 45 qt cooler full of ice and beer and some fishing tackle running 21-22. I still haven't ran this engine with just me and a gas can.[/quote]
Dang. That's pretty good. Be interesting if it gets much faster or if it stays the same regardless of load.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:23 am

Welcome to the forum HR!

What size motor should I run is a question that can only be answered by you after testing similar boats with different size engines. Independence day weekend is coming up, go to the local boat ramp with some fat chicks and an ice chest full of beer.

Whenever you see a boat similar to yours, ask the guy if he wants a beer and if you can load his boat up with fat chicks to test the ability of his size motor to carry out your desires. Try to test three to six different boat motor combinations and you will have a pretty good idea of what you need.

Since you are already at the boat ramp with a bunch of fat chicks and a cooler of beer, you might as well go skinny dipping and get toasted.

Where I live and hunt, the boat you describe would be probably too small. We used to have a boat expert here but he has gone someplace else. He was an expert at building hard blinds on small boats.

Again, welcome. Tell us something about yourself and where you hunt.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby hrcooper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:35 am

I'd have to say that's a pretty funny way to test a boat out, but I'm from around Montgomery Alabama, I hunt small ponds and river holes. The boat I'm talking about, I do not own yet, thinking about buying it. Although I've been on this boat to a small Lake near Andalusia and down to the Delta in Mobile and also the refuge up there in Arkansas on it. I do not know the size of the motor of the top of my head and it's a mud motor, but is not included with the purchase. And I'm just a 19 year old who loves to hunt and has a great dog to take with me, and just looking for the right size motor to get me and my dog started on the right track to a successful hunting career.
hrcooper

Postby RonE » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 am

hrcooper wrote:I'd have to say that's a pretty funny way to test a boat out, but I'm from around Montgomery Alabama, I hunt small ponds and river holes. The boat I'm talking about, I do not own yet, thinking about buying it. Although I've been on this boat to a small Lake near Andalusia and down to the Delta in Mobile and also the refuge up there in Arkansas on it. I do not know the size of the motor of the top of my head and it's a mud motor, but is not included with the purchase. And I'm just a 19 year old who loves to hunt and has a great dog to take with me, and just looking for the right size motor to get me and my dog started on the right track to a successful hunting career.

In that light, I must modify what I posted previously...........

Get someone to buy you some beer..........and proceed as directed.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 am

:lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum