Floating Blinds

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Floating Blinds

Postby Legband » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:15 am

We only install one river blind a year down towards the delta.
The problem with the small rivers like the Merced is they simply don't hold enough birds unless you in the refuse confiscation areas and that is not allowed.
If you can get into the delta with out being sunk or burned out by some one it has it's good times.
But if you get in someones spot where they have been hunting you better be ready for a war.
It took us several years to find a place that would work that was not already claimed.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Ok here's another I have two of these War Eagle Factory Blinds they are appox 8'x10'
We have a number of ponds we hunt well over a dozen.
The problem with most ponds in our area is a few hunts and your done.
So I wanted a way to set up and be Mobil on the pond as well as be in and out quick if we want to relocate to another body of water.
One year while hunting by the Oregon boarder I saw this aluminum snowmobile tilt trailer super light and a 8'x10' bed
My War Eagle blind would fit on it perfectly.
So now one sits on it all the time and the other ready when ever I need it.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Nice looking blinds. Lots of guys use them here on the bay in MI. Some anchor and leave all year, but most trailer their toons around and have a outboard on them. It's kinda a first come first serve basis around here and there have been some fist fights and serious death threats from guys that get to their blind 10 min before LST to find a group of guys in it with a decoy spread out. Locked blinds usually get burned so now some blinds are being registered so that they are boats instead if blinds. Then it is illegal for others to use.
I choose to use a boat with a popup and avoid the hassle. Birds are dumb around her and don't care about an island that wasn't there yesterday.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Legband » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:18 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Nice looking blinds. Lots of guys use them here on the bay in MI. Some anchor and leave all year, but most trailer their toons around and have a outboard on them. It's kinda a first come first serve basis around here and there have been some fist fights and serious death threats from guys that get to their blind 10 min before LST to find a group of guys in it with a decoy spread out. Locked blinds usually get burned so now some blinds are being registered so that they are boats instead if blinds. Then it is illegal for others to use.
I choose to use a boat with a popup and avoid the hassle. Birds are dumb around her and don't care about an island that wasn't there yesterday.

I'm really interested in the way guys in other places build their blinds you don't have any pictures of blinds in your area do you Nuff?
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Hey legband! Here's my blind. I just put a duck in front of my face. Not as elaborate as yours but it seems to work.:mrgreen:
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Hey legband! Here's my blind. I just put a duck in front of my face. Not as elaborate as yours but it seems to work.:mrgreen:

Lol hey what ever works for you brother but since ducks see from above I suggest you where one on the top of your cap as well.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby gila-river » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 am

Water levels and location vary so much from year to year here in AZ that I don't think anyone has anything as big or elaborate as as you're running. It's mostly pop up blinds on Jon boats for the guys who hunt the bigger water here.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 am

gila-river wrote:Water levels and location vary so much from year to year here in AZ that I don't think anyone has anything as big or elaborate as as you're running. It's mostly pop up blinds on Jon boats for the guys who hunt the bigger water here.

That would sure make a huge difference in your blind choice and usefulness.

And I still have a layout boat and of corse layout blinds that we use when it's called for.
My goal has been to be prepared for what ever opportunity presents it self because every year or at least every few years can be so different.

This pics show over 20 years of blind making it didn't just happen over night .
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby duckdreamer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am

Those bring back memories. I hunted with a couple of cajuns yrs ago that built piano box blinds like those. Same kind of set up, padded bench seats, cook stove, small propane stove, radio, etc. I had a drop front and 1/3 lift top and was covered with chicken wire and brushed. It was built on huge blocks of styrofoam and a boat port. They hauled it on a flat bed trailer and put the boat in the front and pushed it around. We set it up in the trees here on lake lewisville. Only problem was you cant have a permanent blind on texas public lakes. The lakes flooded back then and we could hide it pretty good. The game warden knew it was there and watched us through binoc. but didnt find it until the last of the season and burned it to the water. A couple of idiots broke the door lock and were in it one morning and the owner poured motor gas on it and gave them 2 mins to get their stuff and struck a match. They left. Best hunting I ever had, dry, warm and comfy. The lakes are dry here now, so gone are the days. I mean NO water,dry.
duckdreamer

Postby RonE » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:43 am

Legband wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Nice looking blinds. Lots of guys use them here on the bay in MI. Some anchor and leave all year, but most trailer their toons around and have a outboard on them. It's kinda a first come first serve basis around here and there have been some fist fights and serious death threats from guys that get to their blind 10 min before LST to find a group of guys in it with a decoy spread out. Locked blinds usually get burned so now some blinds are being registered so that they are boats instead if blinds. Then it is illegal for others to use.

I'm really interested in the way guys in other places build their blinds you don't have any pictures of blinds in your area do you Nuff?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:45 am

Legband wrote:

I'll look around. I'm sure I can come up with some. I'll have some time this afternoon.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Very nice Ron
That looks like a big body of water are you in Texas in these pics.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

I couldn't find any I personally had so I pulled a couple off the webs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405022457.779993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405022464.361999.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Legband wrote:Very nice Ron
That looks like a big body of water are you in Texas in these pics.

Yes, the inshore flats and bays just north of Corpus Christi.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Legband » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I couldn't find any I personally had so I pulled a couple off the webs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405022457.779993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405022464.361999.jpg

I got ya
So a old pontoon boat , are the majority motorized or towed.
We used to build them out of 55 gal drums do you ever see any like that out there?
We also use 12"x 24"x 8' foam squares have you seen any foam floatation out your way?
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:42 am

I've never seen any with the plastic drum.
I've heard from some guys that they usually end up at the bottom. Either from big waves or from a bullet hole.
I've never seen the foam used either. Old pontoons are a dime a dozen around here so that's the route most people go if they want a big cheap boat. Lots of mud boats and Jon boats here too that just hunt the cattails and shallows with a popup blind like I do.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 am

I love this thread, I've always wanted a monster blind like these. I'm going to move this to the boat/blind forum. It needs some love. Thanks for sharing Legband!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 am

This one's been around for a while but I thought I'd throw it up here for the hell of it. :lol: :lol:
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am

Moon rise at sunset on the eastern shore of Virginia. 1860 Grizzly with a pop up blind. 3 generations of my family that day.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby Legband » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 am

waterfowlman wrote:Moon rise at sunset on the eastern shore of Virginia. 1860 Grizzly with a pop up blind. 3 generations of my family that day.

That's beautiful water you have there partner and your boat blind looks pretty sweet.
And there's nothing better than hunting with family my sons and grandsons love to waterfowl and I'm very thankful for that.
It might be due to me dragging their little butts everywhere I went when they were small including the marsh.lol
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 pm

No not the Merced I know it pretty good , the water is only 4 to 6" deep !
It has that San Joaquin look to it but , not any farther up stream than Catfish Camp or so ?
3200 Man

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:26 pm

That is pretty water , I wish we had some Legband ?

Other than Modesto or Woodward , floating rigs could have a hard time this year in the rivers . even though that
might be the place to be ? There's a 53 % chance you could be saying All Aboard ?
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am

3200 Man wrote:That is pretty water , I wish we had some Legband ?

Other than Modesto or Woodward , floating rigs could have a hard time this year in the rivers . even though that
might be the place to be ? There's a 53 % chance you could be saying All Aboard ?

I hope I have a spot for one or more this year only time will tell.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 am

Hey 3200 what's the 53% chance you lost me ?
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 am

Legband wrote:Hey 3200 what's the 53% chance you lost me ?

Get used to not understanding his post. Apparently I'm rich but that's all I've ever really ever understood of his post.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Legband wrote:Hey 3200 what's the 53% chance you lost me ?

Get used to not understanding his post. Apparently I'm rich but that's all I've ever really ever understood of his post.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 am

I'm really a stand-up guy , just misunderstood ! :lol:
The 53 % El Nino is something we're all hoping for OR forget the rivers in our area .
With the recent fires to the East of us , maybe we don't want a gully-washer anyway ?

With having the opportunity to hunt floating blinds in Modesto Res , I can say , Legbands looks to be top-knoch !
Especially if it's in the trees . :thumbsup:
3200 Man

Postby jehler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 am

Floating blinds eh?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Legband » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am

3200 Man wrote:I'm really a stand-up guy , just misunderstood ! :lol:
The 53 % El Nino is something we're all hoping for OR forget the rivers in our area .
With the recent fires to the East of us , maybe we don't want a gully-washer anyway ?

With having the opportunity to hunt floating blinds in Modesto Res , I can say , Legbands looks to be top-knoch !
Especially if it's in the trees . :thumbsup:

I thought that might be it but I had heard it was in the 80plus% of probability.
I have read nothing official on it just had a couple of other guys mention it.

As far as the trees go the probability of getting one of the two spots there is a shot in the dark.
I don't know if anyone else agrees with me but east side flyway will never be the same now that the pasture is all almonds.
And the rice is gone.
We hunt a series of Ranch's and lakes on the east side as well as the west side and the east side has been in steady decline for ten years now.
A majority p of the brood ponds and ditches that produced thousands of ducks have been filled in and planted.
I'm sorry To say I think it is a era gone by.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 pm

And that's why these Northern Boys don't understand why , I hate Nut Trees !

I still hunt on some private down along the rivers ( in the rock piles ) but when the Specks show-up I rather hunt them .
Being under a flightline each morning , does my soul good !

hopefully they'll come down this far , this year ?
3200 Man

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum