Unload your boat backword? How to spin it?

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Unload your boat backword? How to spin it?

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Nah. Just get one big enough.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Duplex Lover » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:43 pm

:qh:
I think the drive through Is a direction I could get worked up.
We almost NEVER launch at a ramp or landing. Most the time just a low bank or mud flat. What we want to flip the boat for is to put in at like a road crossing or culvert ditch or canal then run in to the lake or river. You really can't drive off the road or on the shoulder of the road/ parking lot, you could however push the trailer off and through the mud.
We have a good dead man /mud anchor but it just won't hold the weight of the boat dragging through the mud.
:thumbsup:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:16 pm

I think the turntable is the best option.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:04 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I think the turntable is the best option.

X2
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:18 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:I think the turntable is the best option.

X2

My ideas are always the best ones
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 pm

No one listens to Olly.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Olly wrote:No one listens to Olly.

I think 2 ended trailer would be the simplest. But a spinning trailer would be badass.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Nobody likes simple ideas.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Unload your boat backword? How to spin it?

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I think 2 ended trailer would be the simplest. But a spinning trailer would be badass.

2 ended trailer sounds like a nightmare to me. Unhooking and reconfiguring the trailer, then spinning it around, then rehooking to the truck. Sounds like a 20 minute ordeal at minimum.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:27 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

2 ended trailer sounds like a nightmare to me. Unhooking and reconfiguring the trailer, then spinning it around, then rehooking to the truck. Sounds like a 20 minute ordeal at minimum.

Make the trailer tongue just like a receiver hitch. Just need a trailer jack on each end to support everything while you switch the tongue.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:40 pm

capt1972 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Make the trailer tongue just like a receiver hitch. Just need a trailer jack on each end to support everything while you switch the tongue.

Still a nightmare.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:47 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Still a nightmare.

How is jacking a boat two feet up in the air and spinning it 180 not a fucking nightmare.

Drop trailer, pull out tongue in other side, back up hook up and drop the boat in the water.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:48 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Still a nightmare.

Well just leave it in the water then. Only have to launc and haul once a season that way.

Problem solved. Thread closed.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="Olly"]No one listens to Olly.

Still a nightmare.

How is jacking a boat two feet up in the air and spinning it 180 not a fucking nightmare.

Drop trailer, pull out tongue in other side, back up hook up and drop the boat in the water.[/quote]
You wouldn't be jacking up the boat. There would be a spinning platform that the bunks were made on to that would be above the fenders. It would be held in place with lynch pins. Take the pins out and spin it. Launch it. Reverse the process when taking the boat out.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

How is building a GO-GO-Gadget turn table in the center on the trailer better? The only time you fool with the trailer with my idea is AT HOME where you can take your time. Nothing is worse to me than dicking around in the field.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Quit being a downer boss. Turn table is better

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:12 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Do it at home. You got time to kill.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Quit being a downer boss. Turn table is better

I'm going to sketch my idea. A turn table is way to complicated. Keep it KISS.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 pm

You guys are all way over thinking this. Spinning frame is the easy way.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:51 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:You guys are all way over thinking this. Spinning frame is the easy way.

Easiest to operate. Would be a lot of modification work on the trailer though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Easiest to operate would be dropping the latch on the hitch once you back the truck up. Y'all are nuts
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 pm

You guys are crazy think about all that would be required to build and operate what you guys are talking about.

Hydraulic hand pump to lift the boat
some kind of bearing to spin the boat on.
welding all that mess together
then what about the part where you're lifting a 2000lb boat in the air at 3 am?

A trailer that you can pull from both ends would only require a removable hitch welded on to the other end and trailer lights wire up. This would allow him to tow the boat with the bow facing backwards from his house then launch nose first, then without unhitching the trailer at all load the boat in the normal bow first fashion. When he got home he could then hook to the other side and the bow would then again be facing the rear.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Duckdog » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:23 pm

I agree. That sounds like the most logical solution. Except the boat is nowhere near 2000 pounds.
Duckdog

Postby Olly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Duckdog wrote:I agree. That sounds like the most logical solution. Except the boat is nowhere near 2000 pounds.

I guess I had my boat in my head when I typed that :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Olly wrote:You guys are crazy think about all that would be required to build and operate what you guys are talking about.

Hydraulic hand pump to lift the boat
some kind of bearing to spin the boat on.
welding all that mess together
then what about the part where you're lifting a 2000lb boat in the air at 3 am?

A trailer that you can pull from both ends would only require a removable hitch welded on to the other end and trailer lights wire up. This would allow him to tow the boat with the bow facing backwards from his house then launch nose first, then without unhitching the trailer at all load the boat in the normal bow first fashion. When he got home he could then hook to the other side and the bow would then again be facing the rear.

What is this airborne boat lifting you guys keep talking about?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Getting the boat high enough to get over the tires. Either that, or it'll perpetually sit really high which will make loading and dropping harder.

Seriously, think hitch receiver. The tongue would pull out with a couple pins, you could then slide the tongue into the "back" of the trailer, back it down with the boat nose first. When it's time to load up, put the tongue on the front of the trailer and the boat will load like normal.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:04 am

Goldfish wrote:Getting the boat high enough to get over the tires. Either that, or it'll perpetually sit really high which will make loading and dropping harder.

Seriously, think hitch receiver. The tongue would pull out with a couple pins, you could then slide the tongue into the "back" of the trailer, back it down with the boat nose first. When it's time to load up, put the tongue on the front of the trailer and the boat will load like normal.

The spinning frame sits above the fenders. There is no lifting to get it higher than the fenders bc it's already there.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Getting the boat high enough to get over the tires. Either that, or it'll perpetually sit really high which will make loading and dropping harder.

The spinning frame sits above the fenders. There is no lifting to get it higher than the fenders bc it's already there.

You're talking about something different than they or I am. But sorry your idea is still way to complicated for the layman to build at home and operate in the field. That might work in a parking lot but think this guy wants to launch his boat from odd angles and muddy creek banks.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 am

Olly wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

You're talking about something different than they or I am. But sorry your idea is still way to complicated for the layman to build at home and operate in the field. That might work in a parking lot but think this guy wants to launch his boat from odd angles and muddy creek banks.

Take your boat trailer out to a muddy creek bank, drop your boat on the ground then unhook your trailer and spin it around in the mud at 3 am. I just don't see how that's easy.
My suggestion would be this if he wants the cheap easy route.
When you know you're going to need to make a head first launch prepare the day before. Take it to a boat ramp. Spin it around in the water and put it back on the trailer ready to go fortune next morning.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:59 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Take your boat trailer out to a muddy creek bank, drop your boat on the ground then unhook your trailer and spin it around in the mud at 3 am. I just don't see how that's easy.

See you aren't even reading what I'm posting. This is why I hate internet debates. No one ever actually reads the other person's post they just read far enough until they think they have a counter point. I never once said he would be turning a trailer around in the field. I've said more than once that it's only done at home and the boat never gets dropped on the ground. I don't even know where you got that part.
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum