Unload your boat backword? How to spin it?

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Unload your boat backword? How to spin it?

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:00 am

Olly wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Take your boat trailer out to a muddy creek bank, drop your boat on the ground then unhook your trailer and spin it around in the mud at 3 am. I just don't see how that's easy.

See you aren't even reading what I'm posting. This is why I hate internet debates. No one ever actually reads the other person's post they just read far enough until they think they have a counter point. I never once said he would be turning a trailer around in the field. I've said more than once that it's only done at home.

How are you supposed to secure the bow for trailering backwards and where does the engine go?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:01 am

You added the part about jacking the boat up for the spinning trailer. Didn't read it.....
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:04 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
See you aren't even reading what I'm posting. This is why I hate internet debates. No one ever actually reads the other person's post they just read far enough until they think they have a counter point. I never once said he would be turning a trailer around in the field. I've said more than once that it's only done at home.

How are you supposed to secure the bow for trailering backwards and where does the engine go?[/quote]

Again, not reading my post :lol: the tongue on each end would be like a trailer hitch that was removable so it didn't just stick out the back side. In this situation there would be no traditional bow post with a flat bottom boat you don't really need it anyway. Just maybe an eye bolt and a locking strap to hold the bow forward.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:05 am

I've got it. Expounding on ollys idea it would have to be a diamond shaped trailer. To where it was basically the front half of a boat trailer on both ends with the axle centered. The winch tower made onto the remove able hitch. A set of tail lights on each end.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I've got it. Expounding on ollys idea it would have to be a diamond shaped trailer. To where it was basically the front half of a boat trailer on both ends with the axle centered. The winch tower made onto the remove able hitch. A set of tail lights on each end.

Exactly! I didn't even think about making the winch post part of the tongue.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

What about when you're hauling it ass backwards? A strap on the front ain't gonna do you much good.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 am

It would need stabilizers to let down to support it while the trailer tongue was being swapped too
FlintRiverFowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 am

Like a camper.
Last edited by The Duck Hammer on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:It would need stabilizers to let down to support it while the trailer tongue was being swapped too

Yea I guess it would, or be a double axle trailer.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:11 am

We should build a prototype. The only other trailer that allows bow first launching has a super complex turntable system and is super expensive, also is made in New Zealand
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:We should build a prototype. The only other trailer that allows bow first launching has a super complex turntable system and is super expensive, also is made in New Zealand

Finally, someone listens to Olly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking a single axle trailer with over sized tires would work best for loading and unloading in places like this.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 am

The lights would be a nightmare. Unless you ran your wires for both sets to where the tongue hooked in, put a plug in, and then ran a double ended plug along the tongue. Meaning you'd have to hook the lights up twice every time you swapped it out. Which would be a pain.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 am

Something that sits a little higher off the ground. And all aluminum to save weight (sinking in the mud) would be optimal but would be expensive
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:The lights would be a nightmare. Unless you ran your wires for both sets to where the tongue hooked in, put a plug in, and then ran a double ended plug along the tongue. Meaning you'd have to hook the lights up twice every time you swapped it out. Which would be a pain.

Haha you're trying to hard to find fault in my plan. The wiring would be so easy and simple that it didn't even need mentioning.

Basically you have 2 separate sets of wiring. When one side is plugged in the lights on the other end works, when you hook to the other side the previous lights become unplugged and no longer work. Two separate sets of wiring not hooked together in anyway. Super easy.

Really the only annoying part would be moving the trailer plate if you needed to do that. I'm sure we could fashion some kind of quick release.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:25 am

That's exactly what I said.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:That's exactly what I said.

What did you mean about hooking the lights up twice?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:31 am

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:That's exactly what I said.

What did you mean about hooking the lights up twice?

Two sets of wiring both run to their prospective tongue hookup points. Where you would put a 4 pin flat male connecter. Then on the tongue you would have a fixed "jumper" with a 4 pin flat female at the boat side and a male at the truck side. That way you have no dangling wires. You'd have to hook the jumper to both the truck side and the boat side. It's the more complex way of doing it but the least likely to get drug down the road.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 am

That's how I'd do it anyway.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Two sets of wiring both run to their prospective tongue hookup points. Where you would put a 4 pin flat male connecter. Then on the tongue you would have a fixed "jumper" with a 4 pin flat female at the boat side and a male at the truck side. That way you have no dangling wires. You'd have to hook the jumper to both the truck side and the boat side. It's the more complex way of doing it but the least likely to get drug down the road.

Okay I see what you're saying so you're talking about just adding an extension to make it to the length of the removable tongue. I could see needing that, but it's hardly a nightmare.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 am

Exactly. Nightmare, probably not thinking into it more since you're already going to be pulling and replacing pins to swap the tongue.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:Exactly. Nightmare, probably not thinking into it more since you're already going to be pulling and replacing pins to swap the tongue.

We have different opinions on what a nightmare is :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:48 am

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Exactly. Nightmare, probably not thinking into it more since you're already going to be pulling and replacing pins to swap the tongue.

Probably just me exaggerating to try and make your idea look stupid. :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Olly wrote:

Don't get me wrong I think this whole concept of launching a boat bow first is stupid but I was trying to come up with the least stupid way of doing it.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 am

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Olly wrote:

Don't get me wrong I think this whole concept of launching a boat bow first is stupid but I was trying to come up with the least stupid way of doing it.

The least stupid was is the spinning trailer.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Duplex Lover » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:25 pm

OK you guys finished?

I'm going to go with a drive through trailer with TWO tongues One fixed for towing ,in the front of the trailer ,boat pointing toward the truck, and a telescoping one in the back. The back one will ONLY be used to push and maneuver the trailer and boat in to the ditch or canal NO lights needed. The winch post will hinge to the side to let the boat slide down a ATV ramp on the fixed tongue with Nylon slides. The back tongue will telescope out to 15' and the trailer will tip with the help of a integrated screw jack. That should give me around 30 feet of trailer. I will use another section of ATV ramp with slides and lay it on the ground if I need some more. I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat with Gader glide to help move things along. When we retrieve the boat we will simply hook a cable to the trailer from the boat and use the truck to drag it back up to the parking lot ,then unhook the telescoping tongue fold it back up ,hook to the Normal tongue . Winch the boat up on to the trailer pointing the normal way and tow it home as normal. No muss no fuss.
When your in the cold in the wee hours of the morning trying to beet the sun it all has to be easy ,simple and bullet proof.
:thumbsup:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 pm

You just described, cluster fuck, aggravating, over complicated nightmare, with multiple points of failure as easy, simple, bulletproof.
Best of luck to you, let us know how this works out.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Woody » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:23 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:You just described, cluster fuck, aggravating, over complicated nightmare, with multiple points of failure as easy, simple, bulletproof.

I feel like this whole idea is unbelievably bad, and has a good chance of ending with a broken boat. Really, I don't understand how this thread has lasted for 3 pages.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Duplex Lover wrote:OK you guys finished?

I'm going to go with a drive through trailer with TWO tongues One fixed for towing ,in the front of the trailer ,boat pointing toward the truck, and a telescoping one in the back. The back one will ONLY be used to push and maneuver the trailer and boat in to the ditch or canal NO lights needed. The winch post will hinge to the side to let the boat slide down a ATV ramp on the fixed tongue with Nylon slides. The back tongue will telescope out to 15' and the trailer will tip with the help of a integrated screw jack. That should give me around 30 feet of trailer. I will use another section of ATV ramp with slides and lay it on the ground if I need some more. I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat with Gader glide to help move things along. When we retrieve the boat we will simply hook a cable to the trailer from the boat and use the truck to drag it back up to the parking lot ,then unhook the telescoping tongue fold it back up ,hook to the Normal tongue . Winch the boat up on to the trailer pointing the normal way and tow it home as normal. No muss no fuss.
When your in the cold in the wee hours of the morning trying to beet the sun it all has to be easy ,simple and bullet proof.
:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: good choice
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:26 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:You just described, cluster fuck, aggravating, over complicated nightmare, with multiple points of failure as easy, simple, bulletproof.

Nope, simple.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Woody wrote:

I feel like this whole idea is unbelievably bad, and has a good chance of ending with a broken boat. Really, I don't understand how this thread has lasted for 3 pages.

I agree and we needed a debate.
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum