What's it worth

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: What's it worth

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am

Gona be hard work finding a tall transom LTMM used. Just ask LFB. Buying one new ain't cheap but if you do I like the design of the SWOMP motors
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="LaFlamaBlanca"]OP, if speed is not an issue i'd say go with a mud motor. I don't necessarily need one about 70% of the time, but the 30% that I do makes it worth having.

Speed is kinda the issue. But the stuff I usually run means I need to idle with the outboard. Which is 4mph. I'd be happy with 15mph or so if I could do it in most conditions.
The last place I hunted was close to an hour boat ride ride in my boat. Went back with my buddy and his longtail and did the same trip in 15min

Depends on what kind of boat you have. I had a 23hp long tail on a 1546 that would run 17 with two people and small load, only problem was my boat has a tall transom so the engine wanted to pop out of the water constantly. Check out mudmotortalk.com, you could probably offer to trade and throw in some cash for a mud motor.

I have a 1648 tall transom. If I get one it would be a 35hp unless I find a killer deal on a 23 or 27. I load that bitch down and need all the power I can get.

Lt mm and tall transoms are a match made in hell nuff. Look into surface drives, they're more expensive but they're a lot quicker and run the prop a tad higher. Waaaay easier to use. Most of them have manual trim and some have electric. I've never owned either but I've operated both laflamablancas long tails and ollys surface drive. The Sd fits your needs better and is more available in tall transom models.

They make longtail a with 70+" shafts for tall transoms. Surface drive is way out of budget and would also mean a new boat. They have terrible performance when not matched with a mud boat hull from everything I've been told.[/quote]
The motor performance has nothing to do with the type of hull is where you take it. No matter what motor a LT or a SD a non mud hull will suck. Ribs will cut into the mud and allow the bottom to be suctioned down which reduces speed and will get you stuck.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Ajverret » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I'm seriously thinking about switching over to a mud motor from my outboard. I have no idea on outboard values though. It's a 1992 Evinrude 40hp with controls in very good condition. Anybody know what price range I might be looking at getting for this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411922567.182156.jpg

I'd say start at 1500$
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby Ajverret » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:47 am

U can run a surface drive on a ribbed boat I do and a buddy of mine does I have a 1650 mod v with ribs on the bottom and I run 28 with 2 200+ guys 3dz deeks. Blind and all gear

No it's not the perfect match but it does work. Granted I do have a little motor work but not a whole lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412336752.303194.jpg

I've always said u can't kill ducks if there is no water. Crossing a mud flat isn't the issue it when u try to be a bad ass and try to turn a mud boat into an air boat. Even with the right hull u can get stuck on a mud flat just depends on the mud
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 am

Ajverret wrote:U can run a surface drive on a ribbed boat I do and a buddy of mine does I have a 1650 mod v with ribs on the bottom and I run 28 with 2 200+ guys 3dz deeks. Blind and all gear

No it's not the perfect match but it does work. Granted I do have a little motor work but not a whole lot.

I've always said u can't kill ducks if there is no water. Crossing a mud flat isn't the issue it when u try to be a bad ass and try to turn a mud boat into an air boat. Even with the right hull u can get stuck on a mud flat just depends on the mud

Or try and by a baddass and cross shit like this.
IMG_20140712_165504710.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:41 am

Olly wrote:
Ajverret wrote:U can run a surface drive on a ribbed boat I do and a buddy of mine does I have a 1650 mod v with ribs on the bottom and I run 28 with 2 200+ guys 3dz deeks. Blind and all gear

Or try and by a baddass and cross shit like this.
IMG_20140712_165504710.jpg

You forgot the pic where your boat was stuck in the middle. Haha
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:43 am

I've just been kinda searching around online for mud motors and there are a lot of guys with copperheads claiming outboard speeds. Like close to 30mph with a 23hp on a 16' jon boat. Anybody know if those are really that fast? They are a lot more reasonably priced and light compared to the other surface drives too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am

That was what I was gonna buy when I was looking. From what I've heard they have turned gear ratio and props into a science. They get crazy numbers with those things and they are much lighter. Good luck finding a used one.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:25 am

Flightstopper wrote:That was what I was gonna buy when I was looking. From what I've heard they have turned gear ratio and props into a science. They get crazy numbers with those things and they are much lighter. Good luck finding a used one.

I'd just buy new. $4400 for a new 23 I believe. Have a dealer about 25 miles away. I have a few toys I'll sell and cut back my fun spending this winter. Should have enough saved up for whatever I decide by spring. I sent an email to them about what I'm looking for. See what they have to say about their stuff. I'm wondering how well they will push a load. I'd like to at least get my BowFishing rig on plane without fish in it. Which is close to 500lbs plus people, boat, and motor weight.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:36 am

NuffDaddy wrote:You forgot the pic where your boat was stuck in the middle. Haha

I made it like 90% of the way through! No middle :lol: :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:38 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:You forgot the pic where your boat was stuck in the middle. Haha

Haha. That's why one of those heavy mud hulls should get me into big trouble. One or 2 guys can still manhandle my boat pretty easy to get it out if I get into trouble.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

Haha. That's why one of those heavy mud hulls should get me into big trouble. One or 2 guys can still manhandle my boat pretty easy to get it out if I get into trouble.

Ribs are worse than weight. I'll never own a boat that has ribs and put a mud motor on it. I've owned both and it's a world of difference.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:47 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

Ribs are worse than weight. I'll never own a boat that has ribs and put a mud motor on it. I've owned both and it's a world of difference.

I'd love to have a welded slick bottom. But that's gonna be a while down the road.

What I really want is to get a tig welder and build my own aluminum boat.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

I'd love to have a welded slick bottom. But that's gonna be a while down the road.

Everyone uses a spool gun on boats. Would take waaaay too long to tig up a whole boat.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]

Everyone uses a spool gun on boats. Would take waaaay too long to tig up a whole boat.[/quote]
Really? Most custom boat makers advertise as tig welded I thought.
Mig and a spool gun is a bit cheaper isn't it? All I have is a stick welder.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:30 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"]

Everyone uses a spool gun on boats. Would take waaaay too long to tig up a whole boat.[/quote]
Mig and a spool gun is a bit cheaper isn't it? All I have is a stick welder.[/quote]
Tig or spool for aluminum.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"][quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"]

Mig and a spool gun is a bit cheaper isn't it? All I have is a stick welder.[/quote]
Tig or spool for aluminum.[/quote]
I know you can't stick it, but isn't a a spool just an attachment for a mig?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:33 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"][quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"]

I know you can't stick it, but isn't a a spool just an attachment for a mig?[/quote]
Yes it feeds the wire at a different speed I believe. But I'm no expert on that kind of welding.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"][quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"][quote="Olly"][quote="NuffDaddy"]

I know you can't stick it, but isn't a a spool just an attachment for a mig?[/quote]
Yes it feeds the wire at a different speed I believe. But I'm no expert on that kind of welding.[/quote]

Yes it's an attachment for a mig. Reason being you can't push aluminum wire through your leads without it bird nesting. Who advertises tig'ed boats?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:06 pm

I know allweld does. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I remember hearing about more.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Ajverret » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:12 pm

go check out mudmotortalk.com they have a ton of used mud motors for sale. They also have a ton of people using mix matched boats
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum