What's it worth

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

What's it worth

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 am

I'm seriously thinking about switching over to a mud motor from my outboard. I have no idea on outboard values though. It's a 1992 Evinrude 40hp with controls in very good condition. Anybody know what price range I might be looking at getting for this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411922567.182156.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: What's it worth

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:46 am

Probably enough to pick up a used longtail. That a 16'?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:55 am

I would guess around $600

and I was close....

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1992/Ev ... ors-Values
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am

No way, not even close. You have to pay that for a tiller 15 from the 70's and 80's, here at least. Would figure they're demand would be similar. NADA doesn't mean much with outboards.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Ha - it's Michigan, they're everywhere. Was going to say $500 before I saw Olly's link.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Flightstopper wrote:No way, not even close. You have to pay that for a tiller 15 from the 70's and 80's, here at least. Would figure they're demand would be similar. NADA doesn't mean much with outboards.

I sold a 80's 40hp a few years ago in MI for around $600. I had it listed for $800 on CL for months and it was just too much money.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:01 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Ha - it's Michigan, they're everywhere. Was going to say $500 before I saw Olly's link.

Yup and in the NADA site I used my old ZIP from the UP.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Here's one from down here. Bet he gets close to asking but is a bit high.

http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/boa/4624297149.html
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Here's one from down here. Bet he gets close to asking but is a bit high.

http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/boa/4624297149.html

Nuff needs to ship it to you then! Holy cow.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

No joke. 15 is $500 minimum no matter condition.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Flightstopper wrote:No joke. 15 is $500 minimum no matter condition.

I have a 1950's 5hp I need to sale. Think you can get me 3 virgins and a cow for it?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:No joke. 15 is $500 minimum no matter condition.

I have a 1950's 5hp I need to sale. Think you can get me 3 virgins and a cow for it?

Probably the cow easy, virgins are too hard to find :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was hoping for a bit more.
What's a used 35 longtail go for?
Probably 2k or so?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was hoping for a bit more.
Probably 2k or so?

2k is about the low average for a 23 LT here. Be curious what you see there. You might not even like the LT pushing the loads you do.

Wow, great choice of wording there...
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was hoping for a bit more.
Probably 2k or so?

2k is about the low average for a 23 LT here. Be curious what you see there. You might not even like the LT pushing the loads you do.

My buddy has a 23 on his 1648...same size boat as mine.
His does 14mph with 2 guys and a hunting load. Needs a new prop too.
I find myself at a 4mph idle through 1-2 foot of water than I do up on plane. And most of the time it's too rough on the big water so I have to run half throttle which is about 15mph anyway. So I can't really find to many negatives to switching to a longtail other than the cost.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:41 pm

I was kinda sold on it when I went with my buddy yesterday and we were in ankle deep water running wide open when I'm usually stuck pulling the boat 200 yards.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:41 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Probably 2k or so?

I find myself at a 4mph idle through 1-2 foot of water than I do up on plane. And most of the time it's too rough on the big water so I have to run half throttle which is about 15mph anyway. So I can't really find to many negatives to switching to a longtail other than the cost.

Jet! Lol
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Probably 2k or so?

Jet! Lol

If there wasn't so many weed beds around here I would. But I wouldn't get far in most places with a jet.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I have a hell of of time getting through some with an outboard.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:47 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Probably 2k or so?

Jet! Lol

If there wasn't so many weed beds around here I would. But I wouldn't get far in most places with a jet.

Yeah that's no good.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Probably 2k or so?

I bought a 27hp long tail in MI for $1200 I had to drive down to Kzoo to get it though.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:06 pm

But seriously Nuff get a jackplate.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Olly wrote:But seriously Nuff get a jackplate.

I've thought about that too. But how much higher am I really going to get the motor and still be able to be on plane?
If I stuck with an outboard I'd have to have it so that the center of the prop would be level with the bottom of the boat when running WOT so if I hit a rock just under the surface I don't loose a lower unit.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I've thought about that too. But how much higher am I really going to get the motor and still be able to be on plane?
If I stuck with an outboard I'd have to have it so that the center of the prop would be level with the bottom of the boat when running WOT so if I hit a rock just under the surface I don't loose a lower unit.

I had that 40hp on a jackplate and the top of the prop was even with the bottom of the boat and it worked great. I will see if I can find some old pictures.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I had that 40hp on a jackplate and the top of the prop was even with the bottom of the boat and it worked great. I will see if I can find some old pictures.

That's only getting me up about 2" higher than I am right now. My motor is a hydrolic tilt/trim so if I hit something stuff gets ripped off.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:14 pm

With the tilt/trim add anything to the value, or not really?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:18 pm

2011-01-22_13-41-08_820.jpg

2011-01-22_13-41-28_781.jpg

2011-02-26_17-14-50_748.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Olly wrote:

That isn't a bad idea. It would help in the shallows to go a bit faster, but I still don't think it would let me do what I want to do in the shallow rocky stuff.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Or maybe I should just pucker up and buy a damn airboat.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

That isn't a bad idea. It would help in the shallows to go a bit faster, but I still don't think it would let me do what I want to do in the shallow rocky stuff.

Push pole.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum