What's it worth

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: What's it worth

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Hey Nuff, will probably ditch this soon. But not till the new rig is done.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411930437247.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
2011-01-22_13-41-08_820.jpg

2011-01-22_13-41-28_781.jpg

2011-02-26_17-14-50_748.jpg

That isn't a bad idea. It would help in the shallows to go a bit faster, but I still don't think it would let me do what I want to do in the shallow rocky stuff.

Push pole.

Screw dat. I can idle right now through most of it. But 3-5 mile boat ride at idle sucks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Hey Nuff, will probably ditch this soon. But not till the new rig is done.

If nuff don't want it I'll take it.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:19 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Hey Nuff, will probably ditch this soon. But not till the new rig is done.

If nuff don't want it I'll take it.

I'll let you guys know when and if I sell.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Let me know. I might be interested. I need to sleep on this a few days anyway to decide what I want to do. I change my mind about 17 times before I figure out what I really want.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:26 pm

So is this guy high as a kite?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411932408.206975.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:28 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:So is this guy high as a kite?

Yes.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:29 pm

A dealer that's talking vintage and Boston whalers is trying to go for nostalgia for the coin.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Olly wrote:

Yes.

That couldn't have cost much more than that new.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:02 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yes.

Back in 85' I'd agree. He's high and will sit on the motor until some idiot comes along.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yes.

Back in 85' I'd agree. He's high and will sit on the motor until some idiot comes along.

Yeah. That's what I meant. Maybe I should see if he will buy mine for 1k so he can sell it for 2500
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411934644.931490.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Around here a 40 goes anywhere from 1200-1700$
I sold my 2001 model 15 horse for a grand last month.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:14 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Around here a 40 goes anywhere from 1200-1700$

I'd drive to Georgia if someone would pay me 1500 for it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:21 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I wouldn't get to caught up in the price of it. I'd also say that I've both outboards, long tails, and surface drive motors and unless you're actually going to be using your boat IN mud it's a waste of a lot of money. I'm actually planning out selling my Gator Trax after this season and going back to a cheaper and smaller jon boat with an outboard. I hardly ever go places with the SD that I wouldn't with a jacked up outboard.

Also Nuff you mentioned wanting to speed over rocky area's even with a mud motor you shouldn't do that. Rocks are a no go with any motor.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I wouldn't get to caught up in the price of it. I'd also say that I've both outboards, long tails, and surface drive motors and unless you're actually going to be using your boat IN mud it's a waste of a lot of money. I'm actually planning out selling my Gator Trax after this season and going back to a cheaper and smaller jon boat with an outboard. I hardly ever go places with the SD that I wouldn't with a jacked up outboard.

Also Nuff you mentioned wanting to speed over rocky area's even with a mud motor you shouldn't do that. Rocks are a no go with any motor.

Thanks for the input. This season I'll have to stick with the outboard due to lack of funds, but come the end of fall ill have to see how I feel.
The stuff I hunt in is sandy/silty bottom with scattered weed beds and monster boulders...Not a whole lot of rocky areas. The boulders are what keeps me from going fast anywhere near shallow. I took off a skeg and a prop last spring and beat the hell out of another prop this spring.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:01 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Thanks for the input. This season I'll have to stick with the outboard due to lack of funds, but come the end of fall ill have to see how I feel.
The stuff I hunt in is sandy/silty bottom with scattered weed beds and monster boulders...Not a whole lot of rocky areas. The boulders are what keeps me from going fast anywhere near shallow. I took off a skeg and a prop last spring and beat the hell out of another prop this spring.

Another thing is mud motors in a sandy area = new props really fast. Within a matter of minutes if you're running a MM prop in sand it will wear it down by a inch or more. I couldn't believe it myself when I first got into them but back in MI I ran my long tail in the same stuff as you and was buying a $200+ prob every single season.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Another thing is mud motors in a sandy area = new props really fast. Within a matter of minutes if you're running a MM prop in sand it will wear it down by a inch or more. I couldn't believe it myself when I first got into them but back in MI I ran my long tail in the same stuff as you and was buying a $200+ prob every single season.

I've heard that too. I'll ask on MS too and see what the guys that hunt the bay say about them before I buy anything. I already go through at least one prop a year on my outboard.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Rocks and weeds suck bad. Rocks-Jet. Weeds- mud motor. Combo- fucked. Have a bunch of rocks and sand here but luckily most weed beds are easy to work around.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Duckdog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Olly's pretty much laid it all out for ya...

A LT mud motor is more of a compromise than anything else.
Another point to consider...If you use your boat for anything other than duck hunting, like fishing...It's less than ideal.

I run a lot of sand, but it gets real shallow, real fast, and there is just no way to run an outboard where I typically run,(without tearing it up) or I would have never bought a mud motor. And since it's a hard packed sand bottom, I don't even get the full benefit of having a mud motor! I just get the added benefit of not tearing up a lower unit all of the time.

My very first year with my mud motor, I had that mind set of , "drop it down and let it eat", every time I got hung up in the sand!
That prop didn't last long!
Since then,...if we get hung up on sand,..."Everybody out and start pushing!"...orrrrrrr, "I'm gonna need $225 dollars!!". :lol:

I've never experienced the 1" per "matter of minutes", but it WILL flat eat them up! It's pretty impressive really, how fast it'll eat down chromeoly! I think I got 3 seasons out of my last prop, but It was BEYOND done at the end of last season!
So bad, that after the last outing I told the boys I'd taken that THAT was the last trip the boat was making until I could spring for a prop. It was baaaaaad. :o

But!!...It ain't all bad!
You CAN get by with a lot more rock "dings".(by the way, smacking a big rock at full throttle will just about rattle your teeth) :D
You CAN run in more shallow water even if it's sand or whatever...
You WILL be more versatile if you ever get the chance to run in a real marsh or swampy area...

(Just in case you're thinking of doing this)
My original plan was to run the LT during duck season, and then yank it off and run the outboard during the spring and summer for fishing and checking lines...etc.
That's a pain in the ass... For one, the LT's weigh a ton and are really awkward to handle. And two, then you have to store it somewhere (if that's an issue) that the mice and stuff won't have a hay day with.
In a real moment of (monetary) weakness, I sold my outboard for that boat knowing I'd regret it someday...I do.

And, since prices and such are being discussed here, it was a 1985 25hp Merc tiller steer, and it sold for $700 just a couple years ago. I priced it according to the little research I did right before I sold it, and it sold the same day.
I think the price was accurate...

So,...more to think about anyway... ;)
Good luck with your decision.
Duckdog

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Duckdog wrote:Olly's pretty much laid it all out for ya...

A LT mud motor is more of a compromise than anything else.
Another point to consider...If you use your boat for anything other than duck hunting, like fishing...It's less than ideal.

I run a lot of sand, but it gets real shallow, real fast, and there is just no way to run an outboard where I typically run,(without tearing it up) or I would have never bought a mud motor. And since it's a hard packed sand bottom, I don't even get the full benefit of having a mud motor! I just get the added benefit of not tearing up a lower unit all of the time.

My very first year with my mud motor, I had that mind set of , "drop it down and let it eat", every time I got hung up in the sand!
That prop didn't last long!
Since then,...if we get hung up on sand,..."Everybody out and start pushing!"...orrrrrrr, "I'm gonna need $225 dollars!!". :lol:

I've never experienced the 1" per "matter of minutes", but it WILL flat eat them up! It's pretty impressive really, how fast it'll eat down chromeoly! I think I got 3 seasons out of my last prop, but It was BEYOND done at the end of last season!
So bad, that after the last outing I told the boys I'd taken that THAT was the last trip the boat was making until I could spring for a prop. It was baaaaaad. :o

But!!...It ain't all bad!
You CAN get by with a lot more rock "dings".(by the way, smacking a big rock at full throttle will just about rattle your teeth) :D
You CAN run in more shallow water even if it's sand or whatever...
You WILL be more versatile if you ever get the chance to run in a real marsh or swampy area...

(Just in case you're thinking of doing this)
My original plan was to run the LT during duck season, and then yank it off and run the outboard during the spring and summer for fishing and checking lines...etc.
That's a pain in the ass... For one, the LT's weigh a ton and are really awkward to handle. And two, then you have to store it somewhere (if that's an issue) that the mice and stuff won't have a hay day with.
In a real moment of (monetary) weakness, I sold my outboard for that boat knowing I'd regret it someday...I do.

And, since prices and such are being discussed here, it was a 1985 25hp Merc tiller steer, and it sold for $700 just a couple years ago. I priced it according to the little research I did right before I sold it, and it sold the same day.
I think the price was accurate...

So,...more to think about anyway... ;)
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you're running the same stuff I do. Right now with the water up the sand pretty much has 6" of water in the shallowest spots so I wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck.
I don't fish much off it. Just bowfish, which is more than half the reason I want it. With duck hunting I can get out to deeper water to get around to the spots I want to get to then cut in. But with bowfishing I have to go through 1-2 foot of water to find the weed beds where the fish are. Last tournament I had trolled about 8 miles through the night without realizing there was no deep way back to get up on plane to get to the launch without going way out of my way. So it was a 2 hour boat ride at idle when we coulda still been shooting fish. And it takes me a full day of scouting the shorelines before the tournament to cover the same ground the MM and airboat guys can cover in a few hours.
There are a few marshes that I could try and hunt that I can't easily get to with an outboard. Those are all muck and weeds so that would open up to me with an outboard.

Where abouts in the country did you sell your outboard?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Rocks and weeds suck bad. Rocks-Jet. Weeds- mud motor. Combo- fucked. Have a bunch of rocks and sand here but luckily most weed beds are easy to work around.

I wouldn't call it rocky. It's just scattered boulders. By boulders I mean like "3-5' diameter rip your lower unit off" kinda boulders. They are everywhere and will come up close to the surface in 2-3 foot of water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Duckdog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I sold that outboard on the Kansas city craigslist.
Duckdog

Postby LaFlamaBlanca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:38 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

How much you going to sell the gator trax for?
LaFlamaBlanca

Postby Olly » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:53 am

LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

How much you going to sell the gator trax for?

Around 14 less if the buyer trades me a boat on top of that.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby LaFlamaBlanca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:34 am

OP, if speed is not an issue i'd say go with a mud motor. I don't necessarily need one about 70% of the time, but the 30% that I do makes it worth having.
LaFlamaBlanca

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 pm

LaFlamaBlanca wrote:OP, if speed is not an issue i'd say go with a mud motor. I don't necessarily need one about 70% of the time, but the 30% that I do makes it worth having.

Speed is kinda the issue. But the stuff I usually run means I need to idle with the outboard. Which is 4mph. I'd be happy with 15mph or so if I could do it in most conditions.
The last place I hunted was close to an hour boat ride ride in my boat. Went back with my buddy and his longtail and did the same trip in 15min
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby LaFlamaBlanca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:46 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
LaFlamaBlanca wrote:OP, if speed is not an issue i'd say go with a mud motor. I don't necessarily need one about 70% of the time, but the 30% that I do makes it worth having.

Speed is kinda the issue. But the stuff I usually run means I need to idle with the outboard. Which is 4mph. I'd be happy with 15mph or so if I could do it in most conditions.
The last place I hunted was close to an hour boat ride ride in my boat. Went back with my buddy and his longtail and did the same trip in 15min

Depends on what kind of boat you have. I had a 23hp long tail on a 1546 that would run 17 with two people and small load, only problem was my boat has a tall transom so the engine wanted to pop out of the water constantly. Check out mudmotortalk.com, you could probably offer to trade and throw in some cash for a mud motor.
LaFlamaBlanca

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:55 pm

LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Depends on what kind of boat you have. I had a 23hp long tail on a 1546 that would run 17 with two people and small load, only problem was my boat has a tall transom so the engine wanted to pop out of the water constantly. Check out mudmotortalk.com, you could probably offer to trade and throw in some cash for a mud motor.

I have a 1648 tall transom. If I get one it would be a 35hp unless I find a killer deal on a 23 or 27. I load that bitch down and need all the power I can get.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:55 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I have a 1648 tall transom. If I get one it would be a 35hp unless I find a killer deal on a 23 or 27. I load that bitch down and need all the power I can get.

Lt mm and tall transoms are a match made in hell nuff. Look into surface drives, they're more expensive but they're a lot quicker and run the prop a tad higher. Waaaay easier to use. Most of them have manual trim and some have electric. I've never owned either but I've operated both laflamablancas long tails and ollys surface drive. The Sd fits your needs better and is more available in tall transom models.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:26 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Lt mm and tall transoms are a match made in hell nuff. Look into surface drives, they're more expensive but they're a lot quicker and run the prop a tad higher. Waaaay easier to use. Most of them have manual trim and some have electric. I've never owned either but I've operated both laflamablancas long tails and ollys surface drive. The Sd fits your needs better and is more available in tall transom models.

They make longtail a with 70+" shafts for tall transoms. Surface drive is way out of budget and would also mean a new boat. They have terrible performance when not matched with a mud boat hull from everything I've been told.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum