Question on Outrigger for boat

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Question on Outrigger for boat

Postby nscochrane1009 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:19 am

Hello Forum,
I have a 1432 that I'm going to start hunting out of and I want to make it more stable for shooting. I have come up with an outrigger plan and have started ordering materials. I have everything planned out except for the flotation apparatuses themselves. I have thought about boat bumpers or crab pot buoys. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on flotation devices.

Thank you
nscochrane1009

Re: Question on Outrigger for boat

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 am

Never tried it but I have heard of people using willow poles to stabilize. They drive two up front and two aft at an angle to almost make an X under the hull. Then you can run a rope over the gunnels to pull the poles together locking it in, bow pole to bow pole and same at. If that all makes sense.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

nscochrane1009 wrote:Hello Forum,
I have a 1432 that I'm going to start hunting out of and I want to make it more stable for shooting. I have come up with an outrigger plan and have started ordering materials. I have everything planned out except for the flotation apparatuses themselves. I have thought about boat bumpers or crab pot buoys. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on flotation devices.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum, I've seen someone talk about using a kayak as an outrigger but never saw it done. Post your progress and outcome I'd be interested in seeing it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:13 am

Most that I've seen guys use 6" pvc pipe capped off.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum