Boat style and short tail

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Boat style and short tail

Postby Two Bears » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:22 am

Hi guys - New here.

Okay so I am wanting to build a short tail SD motor for my boat. I have a 1976 Lund 14 ft boat. It is a flat bottom V hull which means there is no "V" that goes down the length of the boat, the "V" stops right in the front of the boat. The boat is wide and deep and short shaft, it will support a lot of weight, I am wanting to build a 20hp or so short tail for it.
I do not run in mud but the weeds are killer for an outboard on the lakes I hunt so a surface drive motor would serve me well for my application.

Thoughts on the use of the Lund? I know it probably is not a preferred choice boat for a surface drive but it is a flat bottom (Old boat) and is wide.

Also I will be searching for build ideas for the motor so if you can help with ideas, plans and pictures please do so.

Thanks in advance !
Two Bears

Re: Boat style and short tail

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 am

Don't know much about boats but welcome to the forum.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:54 am

Two Bears wrote:
Thoughts on the use of the Lund?

For what you want to use it for it will do ok. Just ok. Ribbed boats don't do well when actually going through mud because the ribs slice into the mud and cause the boat to be sucked down. But as long as you aren't planning on going through mud you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on your motor build!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:23 am

I've followed a couple SD builds on other forums and they are far from simple. If you are mechanically inclined and can weld you will probably be fine. Timing belt and pulleys are the way to go. One guy used a chain and could never get proper tension on it and was breaking chains left and right.
I came across copperhead mud motors on line last week and they make the smaller surface drives. From what I've read online, the 18hp is a pretty badass motor and I think it was under 4k new. Just another idea to think about.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:05 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I've followed a couple SD builds on other forums and they are far from simple. If you are mechanically inclined and can weld you will probably be fine. Timing belt and pulleys are the way to go. One guy used a chain and could never get proper tension on it and was breaking chains left and right.
I came across copperhead mud motors on line last week and they make the smaller surface drives. From what I've read online, the 18hp is a pretty badass motor and I think it was under 4k new. Just another idea to think about.

I was looking at the 18 hp copperhead for my old Jon boat when I still had it. Apparently the guy who builds them knows a lot about proper gear ratios from building racing go karts. They did a lot of testing with gear ratio an prop size to get the most speed out of their engines. Only bad reviews I've read on them were from people who didn't own them. I wonder how a 23 would do on my new rig...
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:16 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I've followed a couple SD builds on other forums and they are far from simple. If you are mechanically inclined and can weld you will probably be fine. Timing belt and pulleys are the way to go. One guy used a chain and could never get proper tension on it and was breaking chains left and right.

I was looking at the 18 hp copperhead for my old Jon boat when I still had it. Apparently the guy who builds them knows a lot about proper gear ratios from building racing go karts. They did a lot of testing with gear ratio an prop size to get the most speed out of their engines. Only bad reviews I've read on them were from people who didn't own them. I wonder how a 23 would do on my new rig...

From what I've read it will fly. Add in they are much lighter than any other surface drive.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:18 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Video on their site of 29mph in a 1542 with 2 guys.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Two Bears » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for replies !
I found a guy that is close to me that has built a couple of these SD motors and he will help me with the design and such so this will be a fun project this winter.
Will post progress pictures as I go.
Two Bears

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Two Bears wrote:Thanks for replies !
I found a guy that is close to me that has built a couple of these SD motors and he will help me with the design and such so this will be a fun project this winter.
Will post progress pictures as I go.

Can't beat that. Good luck and can't wait to see how it comes out. DIY stuff is always better than buying it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Ajverret » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:19 am

Mudmotortalk.com and mudmotorchat.com

Anything mud motor related and they have a bunch on homemade SD threads
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 am

A side note, I don't know about your 1970s aluminum riveted boat, but mine feels like it will rattle apart with a mud motor on it.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum