Tabbing first?

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Tabbing first?

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 pm

If there's anybody around here that has done fiberglass work on a boat. Should I tab in the corners first or do it after I've laid the main glass on the floor?
FlintRiverFowler

Re: Tabbing first?

Postby blockmaker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:32 pm

A small amount of experience here. I put a couple of floors in a couple of bass boats that I flipped. I tabbed corners, then floor, then came back and put a finish coat in corners with a lighter weight mat. Don't know if that's the correct way but I thought they turned out good. I still see the boats regularly and they are holding up well.
blockmaker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

blockmaker wrote:A small amount of experience here. I put a couple of floors in a couple of bass boats that I flipped. I tabbed corners, then floor, then came back and put a finish coat in corners with a lighter weight mat. Don't know if that's the correct way but I thought they turned out good. I still see the boats regularly and they are holding up well.

I may have made the mistake of getting just a little more than enough resin for the project. I'm afraid I'll waste while tabbing and wind up needing more which would put my project on hold. I might go ahead and order another quart first thing in the morning just in case. Got plenty of 1708 biaxial mat but worried abt how much resin I bought.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Thought this thread was gonna be about drugs. Carry on.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 pm

shouldnt matter, just once you start keep rolling, you can keep mixing batches and laying glass regardless of whether the first batch has cured. if you wait you only get a mechanical bond
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:18 pm

jehler wrote:shouldnt matter, just once you start keep rolling, you can keep mixing batches and laying glass regardless of whether the first batch has cured. if you wait you only get a mechanical bond

So I have to do it all at once?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:22 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
jehler wrote:shouldnt matter, just once you start keep rolling, you can keep mixing batches and laying glass regardless of whether the first batch has cured. if you wait you only get a mechanical bond

It will help the layers bond together.
I don't know anything about polyester, but I know when we do epoxy coats at work we wait till they tack up then put the next coat on before it dries. Once it dries we have to scuff the whole coat to get the next to bond to it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

It will help the layers bond together.
I don't know anything about polyester, but I know when we do epoxy coats at work we wait till they tack up then put the next coat on before it dries. Once it dries we have to scuff the whole coat to get the next to bond to it.

There's two layers and they're stitched together to be laid as one. This floor does not span much area without support. It was originally built with 1/4" ply. Which is what I'm going back with and the top side of the original floor had a very thin layer of csm over it. I'm going back with 1708 biaxial. Much heavier and stronger than what was there before. I watched a video after I posted this thread where the guy tabbed corners and seams first with 1708 let it dry. Then days later came back and laid two layers of 3/4 oz csm over it. The guy at us composites told me to just use the 1708 for the entire project since I planned to do only one layer.
FlintRiverFowler

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum