Excel or???

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Excel or???

Postby mikecatt13 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 am

Alright, I learned a ton about boats and their construction today and was all excited about an Excel at the dealer until I got home and started reading. It seems there have been enough problems with their quality/durability that I'm less excited and more concerned. Most of these issues were with bottoms and/or transoms not holding up. Is this something that would be fixed by ordering one with the .125" 5086 upgraded construction? I guess the other big issue I that in every instance Excel and Mud Buddy customer service has been well below par (just from my research). On top of all that, the issue of the foam in the bottom of the boat that ultimately gets wet and heavy has me looking elsewhere. In all fairness, I did read several people that love their Excels. Am I over thinking this? If not, where should I look for a hull brand?

What about Gatortrax? And which surface drive should I pair with it?

To help out, it seems that .125 5086 construction is a must, preferably no foam, and probably with a hunt deck. Are these accurate assumptions? I am looking at 1860 size but 1854 would do in the correct configuration (I like the extra space).

Thanks in advance!
mikecatt13

Re: Excel or???

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:47 am

Belive you said you live up north so I would check out Phowler boats. From what I've heard they make some tanks that hold up well. For motors look at Gator tail and pro drive for the top motors right now with most going with gator tail.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:44 am

If I had the money for a boat like that it would be a gator trax.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 am

I had a friend who had the Excel back in MI and it was a fast boat, faster than my 17x50 Gator Trax with the same surface drive motor but it was also A LOT heavier. The Excels are a nice boat but I'd rather have a Gator Trax for it's rounded chines or a Gator Tail both are very well built.

For the motor go with Gator Tail much better than Mud Buddy IMO. I own a Gator Trax 17x50 with a 35hp Mud Buddy and the engine preformes awesome but the GT motors I've seen are just made better.

As far as the foam question? I would want a boat with foam unless I knew for a fact that I would need the extra room for more people. I like knowing that if my boat goes under it won't sink and I can recover it, also from a safety point it's worls better to not have to be swimming if the boat ever takes on any water.

Gator Trax is also a sponsor here get in touch with Kent and he will get you into the right boat.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:49 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:If I had the money for a boat like that it would be a gator trax.

Same boat Duck Commander uses?
Tomkat

Postby Weston81 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Believe they switched over to phowler boats. The last two years I've gone up to Wisconsin on guided hunts and the boat we hunted out of was a phowler. Was extremely impressed by them.
Weston81

Postby Tomkat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Both good brands. Anyone know about Wareagle?
Tomkat

Postby blockmaker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Tomkat wrote:Both good brands. Anyone know about Wareagle?

Overpriced? Great boats but better can be had for less money. I have an 1860 with a 75 tiller Yamaha. Got it on a trade but if buying outright I would have shopped around.
blockmaker

Postby mikecatt13 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:10 pm

I'm pretty sure its between phowler and prodigy now. The pricing of custom truly isn't much different if any than production once you start to research....buying new anyway
mikecatt13

Postby blockmaker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 pm

mikecatt13 wrote:I'm pretty sure its between phowler and prodigy now. The pricing of custom truly isn't much different if any than production once you start to research....buying new anyway

Go with phowler. You will not regret it.
blockmaker

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Prodigy is putting out some sweet rigs right now
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Prodigy is putting out some sweet rigs right now

I just looked them up by their phone number they seem to be a Georgia company. Pretty cool boats.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 am

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Prodigy is putting out some sweet rigs right now

I just looked them up by their phone number they seem to be a Georgia company. Pretty cool boats.

Yeah they're made up near Athens.
I've seen one up close and they're pretty nice but I'd still rather have the GT for the round chine.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Ajverret » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Prodigy does have a sweet boat. Check out cottonmouth customs, weldbuilt out of Texas has a good boat. I find gatortrax and excels are heavy if u put all kinds of options. I can get some fine boats from gator tail. Prodrive.
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby Ajverret » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Really it all depends on the terrain u plan on running
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum