Classic motor questions??

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Classic motor questions??

Postby Bowjoe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 am

Got this 1957 (I think) Evenrude Flee Twin as a freebee.. Has spark and great compression guy said he had it running on starting fluid but it dident pick up or spit out water to cool it.. Anyone know anything about that or anyone in NE pennsylvania who can look at it without me paying what I would for a new motor.. any help I would appreciate..
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Re: Classic motor questions??

Postby blackrhino » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 am

blackrhino

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am

I've heard great things about these motors. It'd be worth it even if you had to spend some money. I'm cheap, but I'd be willing to have $550 or so in it, total.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

Does it have the fuel tank?

The old ones are cool to collect but I wouldn't want one for a duck boat. The power to weight ratio as well as how finicky they can be are deal breakers.
I have a fair bit of experience with them and would be happy to help if you need any help.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bowjoe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 am

no fuel tank I have some of the older metal ones dont think you can use them anymore I know walmart has newer one just need the right hoses I guess.. Thanks when I get into it I will talk to ya.. it is a heavy motor may take my fat butt over the back end.. :o
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 am

jehler wrote:Does it have the fuel tank?

The old ones are cool to collect but I wouldn't want one for a duck boat. The power to weight ratio as well as how finicky they can be are deal breakers.
I have a fair bit of experience with them and would be happy to help if you need any help.

What was the nickname that outboard shop you worked at gave you?

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 am

Johnny boomerang!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:50 am

But come on, that was my first year! I got better
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:18 pm

jehler wrote:Does it have the fuel tank?

Maybe I'm thinking of the Ted Williams "weed foot" motors? I know there's some smaller old motor that a ton of guys around here use and love.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Bowjoe wrote:no fuel tank I have some of the older metal ones dont think you can use them anymore I know walmart has newer one just need the right hoses I guess.. Thanks when I get into it I will talk to ya.. it is a heavy motor may take my fat butt over the back end.. :o

Look at the transom plate and try to find me a model number. I can look up the year and see if the shop has a manual for it. Look where the fuel line hooks up older motors used a pressurized tank instead of a feud pump and those can be hard to find and problematic
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am

I have a 1959 Johnson that was my grandfathers. The top end didnt need any work but I replaced the seals and water pump in the lower unit. I found the parts here. Ive gotten to the part where you choose the model for your motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=7.5
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Wacowags » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Nice find :thumbsup: aomci.org Has a wealth of knowledge if you want to tackle it yourself.
Wacowags

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum