Raising the motor

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Raising the motor

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Been fiddling with getting my engine the right height. Noticed the water, at full speed was up to the second "fin".
Pretty sure it's supposed to go to the lower one and that's about it. Also noticed lots of water spraying off the front of motor. Thought. .."drag".
Raised it up an inch and got more speed.
Got another half inch up and bolted it there. Will see.
This summer I will modify the transom and get another 1.5 inches to play with.
The first and second fin are 3 inches apart.

I'd like to go faster and am maxed out on prop for the model engine I have. 15 hp and 16-40 river jon. I think the boat is just a little heavy and slow. Goes 20 with me, hunting gear, dog, full tank of gas, battery, and 18 decoys. If I could go just a little faster would be sweet.
1453748107820.jpg

I don't know why the pics are rotated. They're correct when I load em. Deal wiffit. :D
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Raising the motor

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Check out that "plate" the machine shop made for me. It wraps completely around the transom. Is welded and bolted on. The corners kept cracking on the boat. After they put that on...it's good to go.
The roads I travel on will shred your boat if you don't have transom saver and some special welding done.

This year was the worst ever and it's held.
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:49 pm

20 loaded for a 15hp on a 1640 is hauling ass. Doubt you get any more out of that.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:55 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:20 loaded for a 15hp on a 1640 is hauling ass. Doubt you get any more out of that.

Take the dog, decoys, shells, gun, and extra seat out and I betcha I get closer to 24. :lol:
I know it'd fly when Milo was a puppy and it was just me and him on training runs.

The trolling motor be going back on soon.
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:05 am

Shoot, my 14ft semi v fishing boat with an old (and wore out, I know this) 9.9 'rude I can't even pull 13mph. I will say tho that I got another couple when I pitched the motor right. There's a few holes with a spring pin thru that allow the motor to tilt so far forward. I had it one too far so was essentially pushing the nose down as it went
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 am

Goldfish wrote:Shoot, my 14ft semi v fishing boat with an old (and wore out, I know this) 9.9 'rude I can't even pull 13mph. I will say tho that I got another couple when I pitched the motor right. There's a few holes with a spring pin thru that allow the motor to tilt so far forward. I had it one too far so was essentially pushing the nose down as it went
Done tried that. It's going to take some shimming to get it perfect on mine. I need it between the second and third trim hole.

The process for lining up your engine:
First you level the bottom of the boat. Use a 6' level, extend it past the back, then try and make the horizontal "fin" on the motor line up.(The bottom one) Theoretically it should be a straight line.
Once you get that lined up fiddle with raising it a little above "the line".
Most setups I see have the engine "fin" just a little bit above the "line".

What is that fin called?
Cavitation plate. How did I forget that?

https://www.google.com/search?q=outboar ... F3dUD_M%3A
aunt betty

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum