Inny or outy?

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

You put the plug in from inside or outside the boat?

IN
80%
OUT
20%

Total votes : 5

Inny or outy?

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:19 am

Hunted big water whenever I had a boat so I was an outy for years. Ran the plug with a finger hole. You stick it in then bend the ring upward.
Then I started running a boat in timber. Started noticing other guys were inny's.

Never bothered me until one day my ring was pulled straight. Still had my plug but was one stick away from not having it.
Then I became an inny. It's harder to do in my boat because it has a floor and was not well planned out for this sort of thing. Not impossible, just have to work at it.

Wish I'd been an inny from the start. 40 years in and changing a habit is tough.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Inny or outy?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:53 am

Don't know why anyone would ever want an outie.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:56 am

Ran that way for 35 yrs. Just did it the way my dad showed me. My father is brilliant but obviously not perfect. Taught me to be an outie...rofl.
aunt betty

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:42 am

Outie but never run in timber. We don't have that stuff in NH. Plug is always secured with a length of stainless wire to the steering cable, so if it did get jostled out I could reach down and reinstall.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:34 am

If you're running...the water actually will get sucked out the plug hole. When you stop is when it's a problem. Good thing to know. Especially if you don't have a bilge pump or a coffee cup handy. :D
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:00 am

aunt betty wrote:If you're running...the water actually will get sucked out the plug hole. When you stop is when it's a problem. Good thing to know. Especially if you don't have a bilge pump or a coffee cup handy. :D

Unless your drain is on the floor, and you no longer have the lip to the front so that you can run to drain it. It is an inny tho, and threaded, so as long as I do my part, don't have a problem.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:54 am

The last boat I had with a bottom hole and suction lip was built in the 50's. Just how old are u goldenstein?
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

My boat has a cut back transom so it has to go from inside.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:08 pm

aunt betty wrote:The last boat I had with a bottom hole and suction lip was built in the 50's. Just how old are u goldenstein?
I'm 32, but the boat is older than I by around a decade. Richline is the make, so you can try and figure out the year from that. I don't think they were around all that long.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby outboardman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:21 am

Most of the time it depends on the boat. Some you can do both but some only inside, and some like big bass boats the inside plug is way down there. If you do put it outside always use the T handle type,never the flip handle,you would have to be a idiot to do that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 am

I've always been an inny in my duck boats, and have on more than one occasion, had to run with plug out to drain boat after a long run. Some of the places I hunt on a hard norther, we have to run crosswind to reach the inside the calmer water on the Southside of the bar. Always take a ton of spray on that run and usually pull the plug as soon as we are out of the rough stuff to drain. Have no choice on my SeaPro, it is threaded from the outside, but the way the boat is designed, it is self-draining, and damn near impossible to get water in the inner hull unless I hit something and bust a hole.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:19 pm

outboardman wrote:Most of the time it depends on the boat. Some you can do both but some only inside, and some like big bass boats the inside plug is way down there. If you do put it outside always use the T handle type,never the flip handle,you would have to be a idiot to do that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My idiot ways have been talked about around campfires in several states.
It's from being relatively untrained. Had to figure it all out on my own. Made many (MANY) mistakes.
Call me Stimpy I guess.
aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm

I was just razzing ya. Any time you need help with boats or outboard motors feel free to ask. I have been in the marine industry for more than 40 years. Own a marine business and have repaired and rebuilt 1000's of motors. Been around boats my whole life.61 years. 2 strokes is all I do.
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:11 pm

outboardman wrote:I was just razzing ya. Any time you need help with boats or outboard motors feel free to ask. I have been in the marine industry for more than 40 years. Own a marine business and have repaired and rebuilt 1000's of motors. Been around boats my whole life.61 years. 2 strokes is all I do.

I will be asking. Here's a question.

My motor (evinrude 15) is sort of loose. I mean the lower housing that the tiller attaches to wiggles up and down. Maybe this is normal...or not.

It appears it all attaches with two bolts that you tighten from the inside. Kind of a fork looking thing.
Should I even worry about this?
If you need visual I'll make a video of what I'm talkin about but lets try words first.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:16 pm

aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Did not see this, those are the upper motor mounts. The way they are designed you don't have to worry about them falling off the rubber is just shot. Bolts are probably still tight.
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum