Alumacraft Ducker

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Alumacraft Ducker

Postby Ducker1947 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:36 pm

Does anyone have experience with these boats, particularly water minimal seeping in from the center rivit line? Is it repairable or no big deal?
Thanks
Ducker1947

Re: Alumacraft Ducker

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:31 am

I have a boat that's a hybrid of rivets and welded.
A Lowe.
When we got it my dad and uncle spent much time basically pounding the old rivets to tighten it up and it still don't leak and it's a 1978 boat.
I do not know shit but maybe you could do the same thing.
If not...there are extreme tough coatings to coat the bottom with and get it to quit leaking.
Myself I'd just get the coating.
I forget what it's called but they say it'll make the boat go faster.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:39 am

Aluminum can flex, especially in rough water, and unless a coating can flex with it, it will just crack. Either the boat is worth getting somebody that can weld aluminum, and have them tack where needed, or it is not. I bought a riveted aluminum boat many years ago, and spent a lot of time in it, but had to have it welded several times. Finally sold it as scrap! Get an all welded alum boat, or go fiberglass.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:17 am

When I lived in Alaska there was more boats with rivets than all welded boats. Most rivers up there are very rocky and you can lose a lot of rivets. Most guys would drill the rivet hole a little bigger and then put a screw and nut to seal up the hole. Some guys would also put rubber washers on both sides of the hole. Quick, easy and effective
PorkChop

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:41 pm

Had a ducker many years ago until someone else wanted it more than me and jumped my fence and hauled it across the yard and hauled it away. I did the entire hull in wetlander dark brown. Seals any leaks, makes the surface 100x slicker and makes everything about the boat easier to get around. I actually put wetlander on the bottom of all my aluminum hulls. You'll thank me later when you use the stuff.
flashman252

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum