Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Ericdc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Yea, middle blind is ready to roll. Didn't get to see it post rice harvest, but we'll roll with real early water this year.

Big south beans haven't been cut yet....I assume they will but who knows at this point.

So we caught water in our field and the field Curt guides from is full too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Let me brag on my nephews.

Colin got his first deer with bow yesterday, first one he's shot at with his bow. Image

Nephew Hunter, who's killed quite a few deer in his young career, shot this unique 6 point this morning. Image
A weekend they can remember for a long time.

Hunter and I went to duck camp this afternoon, while Colin hung out with girlfriend , haha. I was also 17 once.

I hauled several dozen decoys to the camp, and plan to repaint specks next weekend.

Lost some water in rice due to a breached levee. Still had enough water to hold a nice wad of blue-winged teal. Did hear specks while decoy rigging but didn't ever spot them.

Lotta rice and beans still in the fields. We need a nice dry stretch of weather.

Our beans are still standing and Curt doubts they'll be cut, so we may end up flooding standing short soybeans.

Capped off today with very fresh fried backstrap and homemade apple pie.

Life is good.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Congrats to the young men. Sounds like a fine weekend was had all around.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 am

Good on 'em. Was our gun opener yesterday, and all I got was the up close and personal adrenaline rush of, "Just one more step..." - and gone into the high weeds. But I've been consoling myself with not having made a mess by taking a poor shot through mung bush. Thin soup, that.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:52 am

Looks like we are in for a warmup this week, just hope the rain stays away for as long as it can.

Mosquitoes at duck camp yesterday were south Louisiana-ish, including the 1/2" jumbo ones that we only see after hurricanes.

Our gun season opens October 31 and I hope we can get a nice morning like yesterday or colder.

I'll be prepping for early specks next weekend.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I’m living in the wrong LA (lower alabama) if y’all only get those pterodactyls after hurricanes. I battle those things every turkey season. Those will bite through a shirt without even thinking about it.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 am

Mosquitos were horrible at the bunkie farm yesterday; was blown away by the amount of water on the landscape coming up 49. We have some water on fields but some places had it over the levees. Most bayous were higher than we've ever seen
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 pm

This should help

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... -next-week

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:50 am

Ericdc wrote:This should help

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... -next-week

Specks incoming today through next week. First couple of fronts (today) and Monday are mostly fizzling before us, especially those of us in S. La, but still of course help our cause. But next Friday looks right, planning a solo run up to the farm that morning for a few last items before we turn our attention to all things coastal zone opener

today's action
front.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:07 pm

Good day at camp.

Nothing like touching up 2 dozen speck decoys with a steady flight of the real thing out of the north.

I did the brown and Tricia took care of the white with a small brush.

Got a dozen of the older 2 piece GHG to redo, including the 6 I bought from Darren. Want em all the same.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:51 am

Much mo' betta'.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:42 am

Nice back drop for decoy work!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:17 am

Ericdc wrote:Good day at camp.

Nothing like touching up 2 dozen speck decoys with a steady flight of the real thing out of the north.

I did the brown and Tricia took care of the white with a small brush.

Got a dozen of the older 2 piece GHG to redo, including the 6 I bought from Darren. Want em all the same.

Pics aren't showing for me, but sounds cool
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:01 am

That'll get your blood flowing!!!!!!
Also......... you married the right gal Eric :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm

See them now, very nice!
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Deltaman wrote:That'll get your blood flowing!!!!!!
Also......... you married the right gal Eric :thumbsup:
Yes she did, geese were cool to see too

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:28 pm

After seeing that all members could make a work day today, we decided to meet at camp this morning around 8, would have been a pretty morning in the deer stand for opening day of rifle season, but you guys know where my heart is.

Nice to be able to stage decoys at a camp, this ain't half of what will be up there. Decided on our daily pit that we'd put out the biggest spread we could come up with including about 8 dozen goose FB decoys. Other blind in the smaller rice field will have a mostly new 10-12 dozen duck spread with about 3 dozen specks.
Got the big blind grassed in. Showing water in the mowed CRP behind pit and some slack water in the harvested beans.

Oh, there was a dead skunk floating in that pit when we arrived. I gagged, gagged, and gagged some more but it's gone. It was almost to that "fall apart" stage.

Other guys got the rice pit ready. Staging 3 dozen specks there that we'll place next Friday evening before hunting specks the next morning.

Water should be pumped up a little more by next weekend but hoping some geese will find it this week. Guys worked hard to roll down the stubble.

Got a lot more to do at camp as far as improvements, but got the worst of the rotten roof facings replaced today.

Finished off the day with some sausage and Tasso gumbo.

Looking forward to next weekend.

Saw several flights of specks today and a few snows heading south, assume from Arkansas gun pressure. Other pumped up field on farm holding a few hundred big ducks.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:17 am

Lookin good!! Was surprised at seeing not a speck one on Friday but way more snows than usual.
Darren

Postby Johnc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:40 pm

That’s because Arkansas is holding them

Then the shooting there will scatter them and push some here—-they will rebound back to Arkansas and stay.
Johnc

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:08 am

Eric,

What was the preferred method of rolling down the stubble?
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:33 am

The guys that worked on the rice blind brought a very heavy drag that proved very cumbersome. It worked on the portion of field that had no combine ruts, but would get stuck in ruts. Was pulled behind a UTV. They definitely got it churned up and with a little more pumping it'll be just right. I used wooden pallets at old lease a few years ago behind my 4 wheeler and they did the job. Might take a few more passes but much easier to pull and handle.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 am

Ericdc wrote:The guys that worked on the rice blind brought a very heavy drag that proved very cumbersome. It worked on the portion of field that had no combine ruts, but would get stuck in ruts. Was pulled behind a UTV. They definitely got it churned up and with a little more pumping it'll be just right. I used wooden pallets at old lease a few years ago behind my 4 wheeler and they did the job. Might take a few more passes but much easier to pull and handle.

OK yea I remember you using the pallets; hell we towed a dang trailer axle with a bridle last year that worked but it tends to carry too much bulk with it and gets wonky and hard to pull. Would love to fabricate something with some wheels n such

Farmer told us he's got us covered this year, so we'll see
Darren

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2020-2021