Post season

Post season

Postby BGkirk » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:05 pm

I’ve not crunched numbers for our place but it’s probably less than last year total, but comparable avg birds/Hunter. We didn’t hold the blue wings like years past presumably because of lack of habitat due to hurricane.

In saying that, we made a decoy round up today and the water is the lowest I’ve seen it since before 2010. Not sure what year but I recall weed eating grass in an ankle deep pond just to show water. Would’ve been 06-09 time frame.
We had to get on plane in canals (even in mud boats) before taking across ponds, especially with all the decoy weight and 3 guys.
We had to take an alternate route and bumped a nice 500-750 group of birds. ‘‘Twas nice to see for sure. Predominately teal but did see some big ducks mixed in.
On the 2nd load of decoys a large portion of that group came into the pond we were in.
Amazes me how close ducks come to 3 guys standing in a boat in the middle of a pond.
Even before that in another pond we had 3 grays come right over back of blind while we were on opposite side in the decoys.
Lots of mud exposed which I hope gets seeded and takes on some sort of vegetation. I know it’s early feb but I’m hoping for a average rainfall mar-may.
Should’ve been doing this a long time ago. (Temp board setup in boat to keep them somewhat organized)
Closest to blackening out the sky as I may ever see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Re: Post season

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Spoke with Miami's Chad Courville a while back, and he felt conditions were ripe for the return of Walter's millet, as was the case below the IC after previous salt surges. Could be big times comin' for y'all...
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Just what I needed. Someone to give a hint of what “could” be to come for me to ponder on the next 7-8 months.
Especially coming from him.
I wanted so bad to be broadcasting any type of grass seed, but especially a form of millet all over the exposed mud we saw today. Let’s hope Mother Nature does it for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:20 am

Ma nature can be a tricky old gal, go ahead and beat her to it.

The IC has been holding the water levels above it so high that we can neither rely on renewed natural succession or sow anything new. Ed tried golden millet the last time a little dirt showed around the east blind, but none made it.

Know some Pecan Island clubs used to have enough luck with Japanese millet to try it annually, but the year our group tried it down there, we didn't get enough going to make it past the black birds.
Rick

Return to BGkirk 2020-2021