Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:12 am

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Dave, I lacked the presence of mind to ask about the immature wing returns from Louisiana, in general, when we spoke the other evening, but have it in my head that the info you received on yours should have included that, as well.

Am also thinking some others here might find your returns of interest.

From the hunt with you on 11/27/2020 I sent in (6) wings which were identified as (1) Widgeon, (3) blue wing (1) shoveler and a ring neck. All were shown to be immature but the ring neck, which was marked as an adult. If I'm not mistaken, all were female. I will be receiving another wing packet again this year.

Did they include statewide info? Your immature ratio really surprised me, given what I saw while banding, and I'd love to learn your ratio was more the norm than an anomaly.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:58 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Dave, I lacked the presence of mind to ask about the immature wing returns from Louisiana, in general, when we spoke the other evening, but have it in my head that the info you received on yours should have included that, as well.

Am also thinking some others here might find your returns of interest.

From the hunt with you on 11/27/2020 I sent in (6) wings which were identified as (1) Widgeon, (3) blue wing (1) shoveler and a ring neck. All were shown to be immature but the ring neck, which was marked as an adult. If I'm not mistaken, all were female. I will be receiving another wing packet again this year.

Did they include statewide info? Your immature ratio really surprised me, given what I saw while banding, and I'd love to learn your ratio was more the norm than an anomaly.

It was very limited info with only the info I shared typed on the back of the letter. I'd like to know more as well.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:44 pm

I went down to the camp on Friday to meet the guy I lease from and stayed the night. We were to run the lease in his boat the next morning but we couldn't get out of the launch area due to the short, narrow pass near the launch area being silted in. The water is low and it seems we've picked up some sediment after the storms. He is scheduled for surgery on an elbow so I was to drive us around, and if we would've stuck that boat trying to cut our way through I would have been alone to get us out, not to mention that the boat and surface drive isn't mine to tear up. I didn't think to get pictures of the cut. I so wanted to get out there to check on vegetation growth. The roseau and other plants down there are green, thick, and seem to be growing fast.

Blake knows a guy that has a mud boat with a Subaru aircraft engine that he's used to cut trials to deer stands in the marsh where there aren't any. We're planning to drag it down there next weekend to run the lease and open up the runs. It should have no problems with this place.

I dug out and fired up my old computer today and was able to grab some pictures and old logs from it.

I found some treasure on that computer. This is my Ellie 12 years ago. She still acts like a pup today but her stamina is lacking a bit. I hope to take her out this season but will take it easy on her. She will retire after this one.
Ellie.jpg

This is her today.
Ellie 2.jpg

I found these logs from 2011-2012 and 2012-2013..... I'd take either one of those this season.
2011 1.jpg

2011 2.jpg

2012 1.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by DComeaux on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 pm

2012 2.jpg

These photos are from the hunt on 11/23/2011 with my son and daughter. I sure hope this season goes well.
129302B4-E73F-4F39-BB88-DC0820A76DAF[1].jpeg

15D7613A-B417-4869-A542-43A2F0CB5DAA[1].jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:05 am

Ellie may be the grayest Lab I've seen, but does still have her puppy "Let's go." smile. Pretty neat, that.

Re: old logs, mine from 2007 to 2014 remain locked in a crashed hard drive. Sometimes think it just as well, as I can get heartsick enough just driving through our area and remembering what once was... Spoils my appetite for crawfish, too.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:31 am

Rick wrote:Ellie may be the grayest Lab I've seen, but does still have her puppy "Let's go." smile. Pretty neat, that.

Re: old logs, mine from 2007 to 2014 remain locked in a crashed hard drive. Sometimes think it just as well, as I can get heartsick enough just driving through our area and remembering what once was... Spoils my appetite for crawfish, too.

Well said Rick Hall, Well Said!
Ducaholic

Previous

Return to DComeaux 2021-2022