Preseason

Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:44 pm

Time to roll for another season. Hopefully the hurricanes stay away.
DComeaux

Re: Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:34 pm

I replaced the shaft and lower seals on the go-devil yesterday and ran it for a bit. Had a broken wire connection to the boost pump that I repaired. Things are moving along and I hope this Saharan dust keeps coming across the Atlantic until November.

20210711_144711.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:57 pm

DComeaux wrote:I hope this Saharan dust keeps coming across the Atlantic until November.

Amen!!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Too far out of the loop to know it was around, but explains why my eyes have been feeling salted for some time. That, and I've been salting them with sweat for some time.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:39 pm

Well I should’ve sent you my Gd for some light mechanic work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:53 am

BGkirk wrote:Well I should’ve sent you my Gd for some light mechanic work!

Wanna see a prop fly?
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 am

Rick wrote:

Wanna see a prop fly?
Hahaha. Forgot about that !

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:17 pm

BGkirk wrote:
Rick wrote:

Wanna see a prop fly?
Hahaha. Forgot about that !

:lol:

To get the shaft out I had enough thread remaining before the last nut up on the shaft to screw the prop back on and use it to bang on (with padding) to get the shaft moving. While doing this the shaft sheared again behind the last nut. I think this half season "new" shaft was made of an alloy that shouldn't have been used. I unscrewed the bit of shaft and nut out of the prop and used a very tight hold on the shaft with vise grips and a hammer to finish getting it out. It took a little in-and-out, back and forth persuasion but we got it done. The reassembly and seal change was easy.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Dave after seeing uncle tony vandemore’s Instagram feed the last couple weeks you might get your chance to test if flooded corn is holding ducks in north missouri. Looks like a lot of his and swan lake’s corn has been drowned out.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Dave after seeing uncle tony vandemore’s Instagram feed the last couple weeks you might get your chance to test if flooded corn is holding ducks in north missouri. Looks like a lot of his and swan lake’s corn has been drowned out.

Imprinting is strong. It'll take more than one year to change things.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:13 am

Not saying they won’t go there, but may hurt their cold weather holding abilities. We shall see.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 am

They will go there if they have been going there, but if they run out of food, they will not stay.

Illinois is closing two nuclear plants this fall. One has cooling towers, so that won't make much of a difference. The other has a large cooling lake not too far from where I hunt. Birds from the north when we are hunting from the east side may be coming from there. Hopefully we have a normal to somewhat colder than normal winter for a change. It will be one less patch of open water to provide roosting area. The ones that use the lake will show up there, but when it's a sheet of ice, they will move on. Should push a few more birds over to us after things freeze up. They'll have to go somewhere else.

Given how we have totally screwed up our energy system, I'm guessing only a few more years and the nuke plant I hunt near will be shutdown as well.

BTW, the closure of those two nuke power stations means all the "carbon free" power the have added in the form of wind and solar will be wiped out. Those two plants combined produce more energy in a year than every single windmill and solar panel in the state combined. It ain't about low carbon. If it is, you can't close the nuke plants. They wipe out all the gains and then some in one fell swoop. Massive setback if that is your goal, but it is not.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Can anyone tell me where I might find a case of shotgun shells? Seems everything is "out-of-stock".
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Unfortunately, looks like most of the low to mid price point stuff is rampantly out of stock. High end stuff somewhat available, yikes!

Have over a case left from last season so not fretting just yet. Hope you need plenty shells this year, DC.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:20 pm

Me too, and thank you.
I have a a box or two missing from a case now but I feel the need for more. Blake and I shoot together out of a case. I think I found some here locally in a little known place. My son is running out there to take a look. Not the brand I wanted but it'll do in a pinch.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:03 pm

DComeaux wrote:Can anyone tell me where I might find a case of shotgun shells? Seems everything is "out-of-stock".

I was at the local Bass Pro Shops a couple weeks ago. They typical have at least 500 square feet of shelve space devoted to ammo. They probably had less than 50 square feet and that was mostly empty :o This was for every type of ammo. Shotgun, rifle, handgun, ... I actually asked the guy if they were going out of the ammo business. He simply said, that they just don't have any. It looked like the remnants on the last day of a going out of business sale.
SpinnerMan

Postby MARSH BEAR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:49 am

About a month ago in the Baton Rouge newspaper sports section the reported asked someone from Bowie's Outfitters and Hebert Guns in Prairieville about the lack of shotgun shells. Both said reports from their suppliers is they will have shotgun shells by September 1, maybe not the brand or shot you want but shells will be available.
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm

I bought a case of Remington Nitro 3" #4's yesterday. At least I'll have something to sling at em and not have to fight the oh shit crowd when everyone starts to scramble for shells.

My preferred shell, and what we've been using is a Winchester 23/4" #4 11/6 oz at 1550 FPS.
DComeaux

Postby MARSH BEAR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:31 pm

DC - that preferred shell is really great - just hard to find
MARSH BEAR

Postby BGkirk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:27 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:About a month ago in the Baton Rouge newspaper sports section the reported asked someone from Bowie's Outfitters and Hebert Guns in Prairieville about the lack of shotgun shells. Both said reports from their suppliers is they will have shotgun shells by September 1, maybe not the brand or shot you want but shells will be available.
Maybe the Bowie’s coming to like Charles will have some selection for their grand opening aug 7

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:10 am

We got the camper set up this past Saturday and stayed overnight. It was sure nice to wake up down there. The neighbors had boxes full of crabs, and it's now our turn. The next step is to get the long I-beam we were able to get fairly straight with a sledge hammer back on top of the straightened 4x4 metal tubing posts and cover the concrete slabs.
You can see the beam on the slab in the 1st picture. We have to purchase a few long 10" purlins and galvalume sheets. I then have to submit a hand drawing to the parish government of what we propose to do with this screened in kitchen, listing the material we are to use for construction as well. We know what they want so this will be fairly painless.
We plan to have removeable screen panels as well as removable heavy mill clear vinyl panels we can install over the screen during the winter months to hold in the wood stove heat. It'll be a work in progress through the duck season and into the spring during the cooler and less humid times. I am praying for no hurricanes this year, but I've come too far to turn around now.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:26 am

Looking good DC! Thanks for the updates.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Looking good, hope it keeps rollin' the right way for you.

Anyone been out to your blind to see how she's looking for cover, etc.?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Darren wrote:Looking good, hope it keeps rollin' the right way for you.

We'll be out in the marsh in a couple of weeks or so on a recon mission. I drove to the boat launch/parking area of our lease and the water is very low, which was good to see.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Glad to it all coming together Dave, and hope the storms are minimal this year. Looking forward to seeing a pot of your crabs in roux on the table, and a big smile on your face :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby BGkirk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:Looking good, hope it keeps rollin' the right way for you.

We'll be out in the marsh in a couple of weeks or so on a recon mission. I drove to the boat launch/parking area of our lease and the water is very low, which was good to see.
Yesssss

BGkirk

Postby MARSH BEAR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:42 am

Great progress Dave - a place to sleep, cook, clean up and relax.
Do you expect to hunt teal season?
MARSH BEAR

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am

Dave, I lacked the presence of mind to ask about the immature wing returns from Louisiana, in general, when we spoke the other evening, but have it in my head that the info you received on yours should have included that, as well.

Am also thinking some others here might find your returns of interest.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 am

Rick wrote:Dave, I lacked the presence of mind to ask about the immature wing returns from Louisiana, in general, when we spoke the other evening, but have it in my head that the info you received on yours should have included that, as well.

Am also thinking some others here might find your returns of interest.

From the hunt with you on 11/27/2020 I sent in (6) wings which were identified as (1) Widgeon, (3) blue wing (1) shoveler and a ring neck. All were shown to be immature but the ring neck, which was marked as an adult. If I'm not mistaken, all were female. I will be receiving another wing packet again this year.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:00 am

MARSH BEAR wrote:Great progress Dave - a place to sleep, cook, clean up and relax.
Do you expect to hunt teal season?

We are planning to do so. I just hope we don't get interrupted, again.
DComeaux

Next

Return to DComeaux 2021-2022