Season Logs

Re: Season Logs

Postby BGkirk » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:51 am

Are these the same ducks that “show up
In Feb after seasons closed” or actually new ducks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:41 am

BGkirk wrote:Are these the same ducks that “show up
In Feb after seasons closed” or actually new ducks?

HA!.... good question. After seeing last weekends constant morning high flights of gadwall, wigeon and others coming from the gulf, I'm assuming they've just settled into the stubble in our mudflats and smaller puddles with this lower water.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:47 am

Rick wrote: last evening's no-go banding effort.

I don't feel as bad now, but would have loved just being there....... Smart phone upgrade?
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Man, look at the Greenheads in that pic!!!!!!!
Glad to hear that you have some new birds in your area, despite the stale weather.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Deltaman wrote:Man, look at the Greenheads in that pic!!!!!!!
Glad to hear that you have some new birds in your area, despite the stale weather.

?
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Dave, let me clarify:
Awesome pic of the Mallards, even if they are not in your area :(
Great to hear that you jumped birds while driving to your blind and setting crab traps.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Deltaman wrote:Dave, let me clarify:
Awesome pic of the Mallards, even if they are not in your area :(
Great to hear that you jumped birds while driving to your blind and setting crab traps.

I thought that's what you were getting at, but also thought you may have posted on the wrong page...LOL! If we get mallards they're lost and will not stay long. I think I may have spotted a couple or three on that windy low light day, though. It was a good mixture of fowl, and I'm content with gadwall and teal. The mallard is a park duck, going the way of the Canada goose.. :D
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:16 pm

I watched a bunch of gadwall and wigeon on a park pond in Fort Worth this weekend. Could walk up well within gun range of them.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Ericdc wrote:I watched a bunch of gadwall and wigeon on a park pond in Fort Worth this weekend. Could walk up well within gun range of them.

:lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 pm

We actually got an honarable mention.

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt/blog/best- ... Nsf-FYNm9g
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:49 am

DComeaux wrote:We actually got an honarable mention.

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt/blog/best- ... Nsf-FYNm9g

Cast and Blast!!!!!! Sweet fishing, crabbing, and shrimping, as an added bonus to the duck season.......how can you not love that :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Date: 12/18/2021 opening day of second split

Hunters:: Me and Blake

We didnt hunt. ,Got to the boat this morning and it wouldn't start. Found the tank I rode around on yesterday was empty so we flipped the valve to the full tank. Still wouldnt get fuel so I started removing lines from the filter and found we had fuel to the primer bulb. Seems the check valve was not working and wouldnt allow fuel to the motor. After exhausting all options we drove an hour one way to find a primer bulb. All is good now and we made it out to the crab traps mid morning and pushed lots of ducks. The lease holder took a couple of one time a year hunters and took 6 and told me they should of had a limit. Reports were limits to 7 or 8 per two man blinds around here.

Blake and I took out our frustration out on the crabs.
20211218_142736.jpg

20211218_142745.jpg

The winds got a bit worrisome this afternoon with the frontal passage, pushing things around in the yard.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:23 pm

Pretty crab.

Ericdc

Postby BGkirk » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 pm

This is the new PD boat right??

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:16 pm

BGkirk wrote:This is the new PD boat right??

New to me. I'm still getting the bugs out. A piston through the block is a bad thing this I can handle.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:38 am

And I thought I had a frustrating opener. Here's to a better today!
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Date: 12/19/2021

Hunters: Me and Blake

Cloud Cover: overcast

Wind- NNW Strong

Temperature: Low 50's

Waterfowl Activity: Pretty good with most just off the deck fighting the wind.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: not

Birds total and by Species: 2 GW 2 gadwall

There's still a lot of birds on the property, just needed smaller water to hunt today. I sure wish we could have hunted yesterday. The guy I lease from, and his partner took seven this morning going through 4 boxes of shells. He called me in the blind telling me this saying they had run out of shells. He shoots a 20 gauge so I couldn't help him out. They had several big groups of teal and gadwall dropping in the decoys throughout the morning and they just couldn't connect. I think we've all had these days. His new and current blind set up was perfect for the winds we had today with his back to the NW in a small cove. We had a good laugh.
I had a visit from a guy yesterday evening telling me of a transmitter carrying pintail that was in or area mid-week that was now in Mexico. I wonder if we do get north migrating fowl from across the gulf from time to time during the season. I'm going to try to keep up with this one bird as the season progresses.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:50 am

Look at all those crabs :thumbsup: Bad timing on your motor issue, but at least it happened at the dock, and not while you were in the middle of the marsh.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:16 am

Deltaman wrote:Look at all those crabs :thumbsup: Bad timing on your motor issue, but at least it happened at the dock, and not while you were in the middle of the marsh.

That I'm grateful for, and something Blake and I had mentioned to each other.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:54 am

Date: 12/22/2021

Hunters: Me and Randall (Randalls blind)

Cloud Cover: Mostly Clear

Wind- None to very light NNE

Temperature: Low 40's ?

Waterfowl Activity: Slow. Not much movement

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Good

Birds total by Species: 5 GW 2 Bw

The conditions were very still this morning but had more hunters out than expected in the area. Still some birds in the marsh but they don't want to move. People running either to pick up birds or heading back to the trucks kick up impressive teal flocks. Looks like we've lost a lot of the big ducks. We have a good many of each still lounging near Blake and I's blind. Randal and I will be heading back into the marsh later to look for possible new blind locations.

The stillness
Still.jpg

Strap
Strap.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby MARSH BEAR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Not a great hunt but beats sitting home or at work like me. I am afraid our Gadwall have left also - usually happens when we get a strong front. Good luck tomorrow
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:44 pm

We had a pretty darn good duck rise on the ride back out, with the more impressive section being the most southern 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile which is currently not hunted. This is the most southern part of the property, and we found some gadwall. There are and large amounts of teal and gadwall sitting in those very shallow pounds and flats. The water is low on the lease, just like we want it.

We did find two spots for a blind move if we lose our current blind location. Until then we'll stay put.
DComeaux

Postby MARSH BEAR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:57 pm

Dave - the picture you posted with the ducks hanging - is that the inside of your blind? If it is that's the cleanest, driest blind I have ever seen.
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:18 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Dave - the picture you posted with the ducks hanging - is that the inside of your blind? If it is that's the cleanest, driest blind I have ever seen.

That is Randalls new replacement pit, but we do keep the pits as dry and clean as possible. We do this to help keep the fumbled Viena sausages and little Debbie's from getting too dirty....... If you want to see a really dry and clean pit hunt with Rick Hall.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Date: 12/23/2021

Hunters: Me and Randall (Randalls blind)

Cloud Cover: Clear

Wind- 5 to 10 SSE

Temperature: Low 50's

Waterfowl Activity: Nothing. Lowest number of fowl seen this season.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: N/A

Birds total by Species: DNS

The birds we saw yesterday are gone. Least amount of shooting heard in some time. One well managed property report from north of the refuge was that they shot at three ducks. Blake and I will try our blind for a quick hunt in the morning, then we'll go home for Christmas. We'll not be back until next weekend. So glad they pushed the season to close on the last day of January with a Monday opener for the third split. (sarcasm)
DComeaux

Postby MARSH BEAR » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Dave, I agree with you - I hate the three split season they have now - I wrote the commission to express my displeasure and they thanked me for my input.
MARSH BEAR

Postby Ericdc » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:21 pm

They tried to pull that mess in east zone but Larry proposed traditional dates and I assume they heard about it from folks.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Dave, I agree with you - I hate the three split season they have now - I wrote the commission to express my displeasure and they thanked me for my input.

Pushing later seasons with 60 and 6 is so stupid in our current waterfowl situation, unless you just give a rat's ass.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Took a little time, very little time, to total up teal and the first split.

Teal - 4 hunts one was a scratch - 25 BW

First Split- 8 hunts - missed the opening day of second split due to boat issue - no scratch hunts
24 - GW
9 - BW
8 - shoveler
2 - Gadwall
1 - Wigeon

44- Total

All hunts were 2 men only.

Lots of goose traffic tonight here at home, and It's been pretty steady. I keep getting calls and texts to go outside. Last group were specks headed SW. This morning I had a text telling me of Robins feeding in my yard. I had heard a few a couple of weeks ago.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 pm

[quote="DComeaux"]Took a little time, very little time, to total up teal and the first split.

Teal - 4 hunts one was a scratch - 25 BW

First Split- 8 hunts - missed the opening day of second split due to boat issue - no scratch hunts
24 - GW
9 - BW
8 - shoveler
2 - Gadwall
1 - Wigeon

44- Total

All hunts were 2 men only.

3 ducks per man per hunt not bad. I'm at 2.5. Haven't hunted in 7 day which is unheard of for me at this time of the year. Plan on cranking it up on Thursday for a 6 day stretch.
Ducaholic

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2021-2022