Season Logs

Re: Season Logs

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Ducaholic wrote:3 ducks per man per hunt not bad. I'm at 2.5.

I'm still at 0.00 ducks per day and my duck season is over. :o

What's really bad is I think my goose average is also going to be 0.00 per day. I'm desperately watching the weather so I can head back north for a couple weeks, but it doesn't look good.

It may not be as good as it was but it's still far better than most. And then there's me :cry:
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:50 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

What's really bad is I think my goose average is also going to be 0.00 per day. I'm desperately watching the weather so I can head back north for a couple weeks, but it doesn't look good.

It may not be as good as it was but it's still far better than most. And then there's me :cry:
Rough ride Spinnerman. That’s averaging out your stellar goose season from last year!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:28 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Rough ride Spinnerman. That’s averaging out your stellar goose season from last year!

Normally I either have a good early goose and a bad late or a good late and bad early or average early/late. Usually averages out each year. So if that holds, I should have a gangbusters end to the season. However there's nothing in the weather forecast that suggests that will be the case. Also I may have a work trip the last week of the season. In spite of my goose eggs on ducks and geese, I have had a good hunting season and am excited about next year. Just archery not local waterfowl.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:21 pm

Date: 12/31/2021

Hunters: Me and Ellie the dog

Cloud Cover: overcast to broken clouds

Wind- SE 10 to 15

Temperature: 70's

Waterfowl Activity: None

Waterfowl Responsiveness: The couple of three gadwall I played with late, late morning did it right.

Birds total and by Species: 1 GW 1 gadwall

I should have another teal and two more gadwall. I worked a pair of gadwall with one making it to the water. I took aim at him while watching the intentions of the other. It continued south so I shot at the one on the water. After covering it with pellets it surprised me and jumped straight up and began to climb. I took another shot on the rise through roseau cane that was draped over my barrel and missed. The wind pushed it over the blind so I pulled the barrel free and swung to the north waiting for it to come over. Missed again as it was heading away.
The next was a lone high gadwall that reacted well to the call. He did the body builders pose and fell like a rock right over the blind, turning north. He swung around heading right over the blind, low into the wind. When it was about 40 yards out or so the blind to my east decided to shoot....Bye Bye. Ellie and I stayed in the blind until 11. We shared a can of Vienna sausage.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 pm

......if only you would've floated a 4th shell Dave :lol: Funny how something unexpected, like that Gadwall jumping up, can throw you out of sync. It's like pulling the trigger on a "I can't miss this one" as it comes in with it's feet dangling on over decoys, and moving on to the next bird after the shot, only to realize that first one didn't fall. Good report, and it made me smile, Thanks!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:28 pm

Had a similar experience on a mallard this year. Watched it get up 100 yards down river and fly right by me. Had all year to get ready, wait on it, and miss 3 times. My buddy cleaned up my slack.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Been having so many of those mystery misses with my (tighter choked) 16ga Model 12 that I'm going back to the old familiar 20 that shoots better than I apparently do tomorrow.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Date: 1/1/2022

Hunters: Me and Blake

Cloud Cover: Clear early to overcast with clouds coming in from the south

Wind- SE 15 to 20 with gusts

Temperature: 70's

Waterfowl Activity: None

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Not good. The gadwall blew us off

Birds total and by Species: 1 GW 2 pintail 1 shoveler

Pintail just appeared very low to our east heading right for us. Group of GW landed on our east pond and surprised us, I dropped two, but one was apparently still a bit too lively when it fell on a hurricane ravaged island. Ellie tracked it on her second trip out, but I assume it was long gone. Hopefully the change in weather tonight brings birds.

There is a 4-man blind about a 1/2 mile or so to our east that limited out yesterday and I assume this morning due to the amount of shooting and the direct departure after a volley. Their strap yesterday consisted of scaup, shoveler, gadwall and teal. Their marsh condition is very similar to ours, which is puzzling.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:29 pm

DComeaux wrote:Their marsh condition is very similar to ours, which is puzzling.

Horse and Mule.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:40 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Their marsh condition is very similar to ours, which is puzzling.

Horse and Mule.

HA! Crossed my mind.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:12 pm

My Ellie in January of 2013 relaxing and soaking up the sun after a hunt in Gueydan.

184501_458035110924062_1057237263_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 am

^^^Livin' the life.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Date: 1/2/2022

Hunters: Me and Blake

Cloud Cover: Overcast - a brief period of light stinging rain

Wind- Howling NW

Temperature: Woke up in the 70's and by the end of the hunt it was in the 40's

Waterfowl Activity: Slow early but steady stream from the south later

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Fairly good for some

Birds total and by Species: 2 gadwall 7 GW 3 drake spoons

20220102_094538_resized_1.jpg

We were taking all that came early and filled right when droves of gadwall and GW really started coming from the south. We stood outside of the blind watching the show for a bit.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:20 pm

Pretty nice way to go into the split.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Our east and calmer view of the front's arrival this morning. Decoys we're a mess, especially on our west side. We had a few far runaways to wrangle.

DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:41 pm

Great hunt Dave, and glad to hear that the birds were starting to stack up. Tough shooting in that kind of wind, but oh what fun!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:48 pm

Came down to the Cheniere tonight, Blake my wife and I.We're going out in the marsh tomorrow morning to brush the blind, reset the decoys, and bait the crab traps. As soon as I stepped out of the truck I got a text with this picture from across the street. PINTAIL! Seems there's a good mess of fowl down here.
123809.jpeg

We will not be able to hunt until next Saturday, and I'm looking forward to it.

The wife and I drove to Prarieville this morning to get these.I flushed 6 or 8 wood ducks from my pond a couple of weeks ago and my current boxes are in bad shape. I'm hoping to hatch a few wood ducks this year. I need to get these hung soon. I've seen them paired and looking for a hole in late January and early February.
20220108_134416.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:52 pm

So thick you could walk across em! Good to see DC
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:38 am

Or as the old Cajuns would say, "T'ick, t'ick, t'ick." (If I could talk with my hands on this board, I'd raise one with fingers and thumb bunched and say, "T'ick like dat.")
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 am

Packed in there like sardines!!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am

Randall, the guy I lease from and Mr. Mike, who recently dropped his blind on the property due to his family's concern of him hunting alone, had a quick hunt this morning. Seems the GW we're thick at LST. Randall's words to describe the hunt were "fast and furious".

Mr. Mike with the strap.
123868.jpeg

This man loves waterfowl and waterfowl hunting. He could, and has sat in the blind some days just to watch the birds work. I love to see him out there today. They will hunt again in the morning.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 am

Sweet!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby MARSH BEAR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am

Dave, I got a report this morning that we have plenty of teal in our marsh also, but they are not seeing many Gadwall like we had before the split.
Hoping we still have teal for the coming weekend.
MARSH BEAR

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Dave, I got a report this morning that we have plenty of teal in our marsh also, but they are not seeing many Gadwall like we had before the split.
Hoping we still have teal for the coming weekend.

My ride in the marsh yesterday morning flushed much more gadwall than teal and we had ponds full of divers. First time we've seen them (divers) in the numbers this season. As soon as we broke through the narrow cut from our boat landing into the first pond we were jumping birds. A first for this as well. The first pond was covered, with scaup and poule d'eau being the main birds, but there were gadwall, teal and others in the mix.

Further down the ditch getting airborne were gadwall, shoveler, teal and probably others. I didn't take the time to really identify all of the birds rising. The marsh was alive with the sounds of quacking, peeps and other vocalizations.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm

Randall and Mike took another two man limit this morning. Gadwall, teal and shoveler.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm

waterjan2022_Page_1.jpg

waterjan2022_Page_2.jpg

waterjan2022_Page_3.jpg

waterjan2022_Page_4.jpg

waterjan2022_Page_5.jpg

waterjan2022_Page_6.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:17 am

DComeaux wrote:Came down to the Cheniere tonight, Blake my wife and I.We're going out in the marsh tomorrow morning to brush the blind, reset the decoys, and bait the crab traps. As soon as I stepped out of the truck I got a text with this picture from across the street. PINTAIL! Seems there's a good mess of fowl down here.
123809.jpeg

Pretty sure we got 'em all last night. Grand Chenier now has more bling than Rodeo Drive.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Came down to the Cheniere tonight, Blake my wife and I.We're going out in the marsh tomorrow morning to brush the blind, reset the decoys, and bait the crab traps. As soon as I stepped out of the truck I got a text with this picture from across the street. PINTAIL! Seems there's a good mess of fowl down here.
123809.jpeg

Pretty sure we got 'em all last night. Grand Chenier now has more bling than Rodeo Drive.

Blake and I were taking about that yesterday. I would prefer not to harvest one, as the info would be useless. Much like the Canada goose banding up north when the entire flock is shot the next day one field over.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 am

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:
123809.jpeg

Blake and I were taking about that yesterday. I would prefer not to harvest one, as the info would be useless. Much like the Canada goose banding up north when the entire flock is shot the next day one field over.

They all look the same on the lanyard. :lol: Banded in June in Plainfield, IL shot in September in Plainfield, IL. Looks the same as banded in Ipswich, SD shot 5 years later in Plainfield, IL. The only difference is I have a lot of the first and only one of the second.

I will quibble a bit. It is all equally useful data to the biologist. They need to know how many shot the next day just as much as they need to know how many are shot years later at a different location. It's just a lot cooler for us when it's not a shiny new band from the adjacent park.

I'd just love to get a drake pintail. I've never got one and only a couple hens.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Date: 1/14/2022

Hunters: Blake Tim

Cloud Cover: Mostly sunny

Wind- None

Temperature: 60's

Waterfowl Activity: None moving

Waterfowl Responsiveness: N/A

Birds total and by Species: 3 GW teal

Lots of teal and gadwall on the water around the blind but they didn't move.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2021-2022