Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 am

Oh! Darren, turns out I lied when I said I was too slow on the trigger and missed our first release attempt:
016a.jpg

Know the phone will let me pull stills from video, but haven't attempted that, yet. Also couldn't get anything but the sound from a video to download to my PC???
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Did they let yall run the traps?
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:28 pm

DComeaux wrote:Did they let yall run the traps?

Would have been an awesome bonus, just donuts though and that was fine by me. We had heck of a great time, wife included. From the mad dash to the net (fastest hay ride I've ever been on) after the rockets fired, to the release of poked, prodded, probed, and banded birds. Awfully neat to handle so many up close, and more personal than they'd prefer.

Now if only I could afford to make an offer on that farm.......
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:30 pm

Rick, on the video files, I'm just copying them to PC from the same phone folder as the photos, and picture/sound both always seem to make it. You doing the transfer this way or some other?
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:48 pm

Grrr... Can't even transfer new photos now, which had initially been the case until I replaced the USB to USB-c cord I had on hand with a new Wally World special. Then it transferred all of the jpegs just fine but left their raw files blank (no biggie) and only transferred video sound.

Basically, opening the phone to photos, connecting USB to USB-C cable between phone and prompting phone to transfer files to PC and finally hitting import prompt when the PC says to. PC acts same as transferring from digital camera until "import" is tapped and an error code pops up.

Will eventually figure it out - or toss the SOB in deeper water than it's touted to withstand.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am

Got to enjoy the best seat on the pond again for yesterday's banding capture: in the observation blind with Paul 100yds or so from the bait site, where we could watch the show of birds arriving and Paul could determine when to fire the net's rockets. One might think baited birds would go directly to a cracked corn and milled rice buffet they've enjoyed unmolested for days, but such hasn't been the case when I've been along. Instead, while they might buzz the site, nearly all will initially land well out and either swim or gingerly hopscotch in and out before settling down to gorge. In fact, yesterday there were birds, nearly all blue-wings or black-bellies, scattered all over what we could see of the crawfish pond, to include but a few steps from our blg wooden box on a levee.

"Scattered" is only kinda-sorta accurate, as most of the birds were concentrated in much tighter, albeit scattered, bunches than most of us would be apt to set our decoys. And the majority of activity was focused on those mobs: with new birds generally landing in tight with them, others moving from one mob to another and those venturing to the bait often retreating to the apparent security of a mob. In short, the security of the flock generally took precedence over even the desire to take advantage of a known feed source. Wasn't until a fair mob had eventually grown and settled in on the bait, that the buffet seemed a primary attractant. So while I've long thought the birds generally associated tight knots of birds with easy feeding, I found myself pondering security as the strongest driver.

Then Paul fired the rockets, and we raced to the net to get a head start on pulling birds from beneath it before the crew arrived. Of course my old, short legs lost to his young, long ones, but it was fun trying...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:08 am

Rick wrote:Then Paul fired the rockets, and we raced to the net to get a head start on pulling birds from beneath it before the crew arrived. Of course my old, short legs lost to his young, long ones, but it was fun trying...

Paul's a beast.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing, Rick, bet that was heckuva show to watch the birds working in.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:30 pm

Rick, how many of the birds that were netted were banded at that site in previous years?
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Would be afraid to put number on it, but "recaps" from a site aren't too uncommon, both from previous years and the current one.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:17 pm

Darren wrote:Thanks for sharing, Rick, bet that was heckuva show to watch the birds working in.

My access to places I can just watch and listen to the birds going about their lives has diminished so in recent years that chances to do so have become quite dear.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:14 am

Ducaholic wrote:Rick, how many of the birds that were netted were banded at that site in previous years?

We have this established level of rarity of a banded bird (harvested) in hand, but easily 3 of the first 15-20 I pulled from the net a couple weeks back had them. The list of recaps for that day alone was pretty lengthy, with the LDWF team noting generally a very high fidelity to band sites.
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:07 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:Rick, how many of the birds that were netted were banded at that site in previous years?

We have this established level of rarity of a banded bird (harvested) in hand, but easily 3 of the first 15-20 I pulled from the net a couple weeks back had them. The list of recaps for that day alone was pretty lengthy, with the LDWF team noting generally a very high fidelity to band sites.

My wife and I went and watched them band song birds at a local park a couple years ago. That was a lot of fun.

There was one nuthatch, I believe, that had been recaptured so many times the bander stopped logging his recaptures.

Oh what some will tolerate for free food :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:16 am

Neat observation on the security of the masses versus the free food Rick, and know that watching them build up prior to the actual netting must've been an awesome sight.
Good on all of you that are giving back to the sport :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am

Guess, I'll note that I was referencing recaps "...from previous years," per Perry's question, not being "uncommon," and to what I gathered his point, imprinting not being uncommon.

Recaps from a well maintained bait site can be quite common. The great majority of Sunday's recaps were logged by those doing the actual banding, but I had occasion to log several, of which only one had different prefix numbers than our current ones. (And that Paul recognized as last year's.) But that sample may not be representative..
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:51 am

Lines up with what we experienced in the one time I helped with banding on private land near my house. Thanks Rick
Ducaholic

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:05 pm

Rick wrote:Bud, I don't know that I was nearly so adamant about hiding well back when you were still coming this way, but we usually had a lot more chances to waste back them...

Seems we remember your telling someone to put something on "that neon mop" to help the hiding situation. Had she just held still...

It added to her fond memories, all in good spirits, but she is pretty still while asleep. Wish I could get as happy as she.

Still planning on visiting when possible.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:03 am

Bud wrote:
Rick wrote:Bud, I don't know that I was nearly so adamant about hiding well back when you were still coming this way, but we usually had a lot more chances to waste back them...

Seems we remember your telling someone to put something on "that neon mop" to help the hiding situation. Had she just held still...

It added to her fond memories, all in good spirits, but she is pretty still while asleep. Wish I could get as happy as she.

Still planning on visiting when possible.

Honestly can't recall fussing Elizabeth, just an epic hair issue with Doug's wife, Mary, and a couple of her blond niece's back when I was new to the camp and poofy hair was in vogue.
Rick

Postby Bud » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 pm

Think we took it as friendly conversation. We were both so glad to see and hunt with you, after reading all your posts. Well, and seeing all those ducks and geese.

I learned quickly while here to hide well and pray for the wind to treat us well. All my hunting buds were made masks by Liz, just to help me. Most of my old duck-hunting brothers have died or moved on to hunt elsewhere...or have children now to teach what we learned together. It's all good. Two I never hunt with again? One knocked me off my bucket in the boat with a 10 gauge muzzle blast. The other shot directly over my head at a hoodie...not as close, but both hunts ended same moment.

I learned to watch your body movement and especially your eyes when you were trying to serve them on a plate. Watching was fun, too, after the mask. However, I couldn't see all you could see so I still focused on your game a lot.

We must like to swab ducks here. Don't know if he is still around, but a man name of Greg swabbed ours one day about ten years gone. My partner handed him a drake pintail and gadwall. He asked for mine. Most people that hunted there were shooting coots and ruddy ducks, so I pulled out a drake BWT out of my soft cooler. He said, "Bud, if you have three more ducks I can go home. I did it because I liked Greg, but tried not to let everyone around us see the hen Canvasback that was flying with Ring-necked ducks, the other Pintail drake(we were allowed one), and the drake Mallard. I quickly placed all our ducks back in the cooler.

You guys keep swabbing live ducks when banding them, you won't have many come to the setup that fooled them before. They may start hiding with masks.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:43 am

Bud wrote:You guys keep swabbing live ducks when banding them, you won't have many come to the setup that fooled them before. They may start hiding with masks.

Shoot, Bud, we had so many blue-wing recaptures that I'm not entirely sure they're not twisted enough to like it.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:21 pm

Rick wrote:
Bud wrote:You guys keep swabbing live ducks when banding them, you won't have many come to the setup that fooled them before. They may start hiding with masks.

Shoot, Bud, we had so many blue-wing recaptures that I'm not entirely sure they're not twisted enough to like it.

:lol:

There sure were quite a few on my trip
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:45 am

Been a while since I've pot-roasted duck, and I forgot the pineapple I like to include in my breast-pocket stuffing mix. Certainly didn't spoil those fat little teal, but it was missed and could be something others who've not tried adding it should give a go.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:52 am

The pineapple twist sounds good Rick, and I'll have to try.
I've been adding grapes to the bed of trinity the bird rests on in the pot, and they add a sweet flavor to the roasted duck as well.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am

Rick wrote:Been a while since I've pot-roasted duck, and I forgot the pineapple I like to include in my breast-pocket stuffing mix. Certainly didn't spoil those fat little teal, but it was missed and could be something others who've not tried adding it should give a go.

Hadn't heard of that take on it but could see it being a winner. Nothing like a big pot of roasting teal, lots of leeway of what you can add to it and not go wrong. You talkin teal, I've been putting hand on a few teal dekes, did a summer charge on my spinners......(early) early season rumblings afoot.
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:48 am

I've been subbing pineapple for the jalapenos most seem add to cream cheese in the center of duck and bacon wraps for the grill, too, but have yet to try it in place of candied jalapenos in deep-fried poppers. With big duck or goose breast meat, of course. Could be a sin not to pot roast teal.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:32 pm

Rick wrote:candied jalapenos in deep-fried poppers.

Now there's an idea! Have been getting the candied jalapenos at the five oaks south of Kaplan. There so darn good.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:57 am

Buying candied jalapeno's that aren't too hot is a good find. Most of the brands I've tried were too damn hot, and took away from the rich taste of ducks and doves when I stuffed for poppers. You can buy a jar of mild, sliced jalapeno's, pour out 1/2 - 3/4 the liquid and replace with sugar. Give it a week or so, and check to see if the heat is where you desire.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:52 pm

Deltaman wrote:Buying candied jalapeno's that aren't too hot is a good find. Most of the brands I've tried were too damn hot, and took away from the rich taste of ducks and doves when I stuffed for poppers. You can buy a jar of mild, sliced jalapeno's, pour out 1/2 - 3/4 the liquid and replace with sugar. Give it a week or so, and check to see if the heat is where you desire.

I'm going to try this
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:17 pm

When we buy, it's Trappey's Sweet & Hot, but I've a buddy who's gifted us gallon jars of sliced jalapenos the liquid from which he pours into a separate container and adds as much sugar as it will dissolve before returning it to the pepper jar and letting them sit a while. Been too lazy to do so myself, but now being in the habit of using them several ways probably should.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am

Jalapeño peppers?
Hey I actually know something.
Remember assateague and his super hot "Tomorrow Sauce" made from Trinidad scorpion peppers?
His recipe is so easy.

First you grow your own peppers so you can abuse them.
Yes. Don't water them a couple weeks before you harvest and your peppers are hotter.

Aw fuck half the recipe is missing. Add 1/4tsp CaCO3 granules per pint prior to adding brine. (Pickle crisp)
Sigh. From memory the brine is 50:50 water and vinegar.
Fill jars with cut peppers and brine. You boil the brine first then add to jars. Leave 3/4" head space. Tap the jars to get bubbles out then add more brine to 3/4" mark.
Assa knows his peppers.

I've used these pickled jalapeños in arkansas to make poppers on a catch n cook kind of thing. They travel well..
Canning salt is involved I better get assa to refresh my recipe.
Ricky Spanish

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2021-2022