ammo choices

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:03 pm

anyone else use exclusively run only 1 brand of ammo? Only Hornady out of my dirty 30 or '06 for me..
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am

Re: ammo choices

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm

My 22-250 I LOAD SIERRA SOFT POINTS THEY DO A GOOD JOB ON CRITTERS :roll:
Pennydog1
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: ammo choices

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 am

Winchester's .270 Ballistic Tips. Hand-loaded Nosler Partitions when I lived in the North, but switched to their Ballistic Tips for quicker kills after moving down here, where marsh and swamp can make recovery of deer that run can be more problematic. Got lazier and started buying Winchester's over-the-counter version.
Rick
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:05 pm

Rick wrote:Winchester's .270 Ballistic Tips. Hand-loaded Nosler Partitions when I lived in the North, but switched to their Ballistic Tips for quicker kills after moving down here, where marsh and swamp can make recovery of deer that run can be more problematic. Got lazier and started buying Winchester's over-the-counter version.

I used to use silvertips out of my '06, but if they bounced off a rib, the meat loss could be massive.
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am

Re: ammo choices

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:48 pm

I’ve never been done wrong by a Remington core Lokt out of my 30-06.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:20 pm

Duck Engr wrote:I’ve never been done wrong by a Remington core Lokt out of my 30-06.

I never did get around to trying those...seems like a lot of guys like 'em
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am

Re: ammo choices

Postby Pennydog1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:17 pm

I find it rewarding making my own ammo and finding the right recipie for a certain caliber for a effective shot especially for woodchucks :roll:
Pennydog1
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:I find it rewarding making my own ammo and finding the right recipie for a certain caliber for a effective shot especially for woodchucks :roll:

uh...ya...big game forum...don't think chucks qualify :D
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am

Re: ammo choices

Postby Pennydog1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:23 pm

Sorry bout that didnt pay close enuff attention :qh:
Pennydog1
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:Sorry bout that didnt pay close enuff attention :qh:

try again mikey :lol: :lol: :lol: actually ...don't...hijacking threads ain't cool
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am

Re: ammo choices

Postby Pennydog1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:44 pm

Im not mikey i dont know where you got that
Pennydog1
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: ammo choices

Postby plainsman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:44 am

Pennydog1 wrote:Im not mikey i dont know where you got that

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
plainsman
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 am


Return to Big Game Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron