blades

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

blades

Postby uncle Jed » Sat May 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Any body still using the "old school" fixed blades, or has everyone gone to the replaceable units? I'm still using my classic Buck.
uncle Jed

Re: blades

Postby PorkChop » Sun May 07, 2023 2:39 pm

Only because of convenience have I switched to disposable blade knives. Before that I always used an Old Timer knife. But when you have 40 plus birds to clean at times it is hard to beat taking a blade off and putting a new sharp one on. Also with little effort you can sharpen some of those disposable blades and reuse them more than once.
PorkChop

Postby uncle Jed » Sun May 07, 2023 7:35 pm

PorkChop wrote:Only because of convenience have I switched to disposable blade knives. Before that I always used an Old Timer knife. But when you have 40 plus birds to clean at times it is hard to beat taking a blade off and putting a new sharp one on. Also with little effort you can sharpen some of those disposable blades and reuse them more than once.

Meant to be more concerning big game, not duck...do you let birds wait for a couple days before cleaning?
uncle Jed

Postby PorkChop » Sun May 07, 2023 7:59 pm

When the temperatures get cooler I do. I always leave them breast up so the gut juice does not run into the meat. I don’t have enough room to be hanging a bunch of birds.

Otherwise I let them age in the refrigerator for a few days. I personally think it makes a difference. Not a huge difference but it does make a difference.

I also use the disposable blades for skinning out coyotes and Fox.
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sun May 07, 2023 9:00 pm

i still use fixed blade1uncle henry 1, 110buck and my fathers german made butcher knife he left to me that he used when he was a butcher,those 3 take care of a deer with ease.
Pennydog1

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon May 08, 2023 5:53 am

If I post pictures of my blades you'll all go blind because they're so sharp that they'll cut your vision. :lol:
I just use an old blade off a Jacobsen lawn mower.
Ricky Spanish

Postby uncle Jed » Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:If I post pictures of my blades you'll all go blind because they're so sharp that they'll cut your vision. :lol:
I just use an old blade off a Jacobsen lawn mower.

go away
uncle Jed

Postby don novicki » Tue May 09, 2023 4:35 pm

Buck 110. :qh:
don novicki

Postby plainsman » Tue May 09, 2023 7:51 pm

Buck 110 for gutting and an Old timer for skinning and done!
plainsman

Postby AllBusiness » Sun May 14, 2023 1:03 pm

Gerber with a zipper hook for gutting and skinning then a 5in rapala filet knife for boning.
AllBusiness

Return to Big Game Hunting