Poor man's deer feeder

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Poor man's deer feeder

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm

There's a couple bucks that hang out on my buddies property every summer, he told me that I'm welcome to bow hunt there this year. Went out this morning and set up a trail cam and a bait station. The feeder is a 4' piece of 3" pvc pipe, the bottom is cut at about a 33 degree angle bungee corded to a t-post. Filled it up with deer snacks and dropped an apple lick block on the ground beside it.

I'm still a newb with chasing deer and have never used a trail cam, how often do you guys check your cam?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: Poor man's deer feeder

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:16 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1373836604829.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373836627073.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

buckola....
LMFAO, sucker!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 pm

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

buckola....
LMFAO, sucker!

I said I've never baited deer before, what do you want from me?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:45 pm

3legged_lab wrote:There's a couple bucks that hang out on my buddies property every summer, he told me that I'm welcome to bow hunt there this year. Went out this morning and set up a trail cam and a bait station. The feeder is a 4' piece of 3" pvc pipe, the bottom is cut at about a 33 degree angle bungee corded to a t-post. Filled it up with deer snacks and dropped an apple lick block on the ground beside it.

I'm still a newb with chasing deer and have never used a trail cam, how often do you guys check your cam?

Up in MI I would let mine sit for a few weeks at a time.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I've built several like that but put a elbow on the bottom and drilled holes in it so that it can drain. That way you can get it off the ground.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:48 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Twice a day for sure . Once around 10 am. Then again at about 5 pm. have fun
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Will you check it for me then?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm

If I can shoot the other buck
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Hell you can shoot it. And keep the pathetic little horns. Just give me the meat
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 pm

I want to bait deer!:(
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:I want to bait deer!:(
quit crashing my party bro
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:13 pm

You guys can't?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope
why don't you deer hunters just grow apple trees on your little private hunting spots?
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope
why don't you deer hunters just grow apple trees on your little private hunting spots?

I'm not much of a deer hunter, but I hunt a plum and peach orchard so I don't think it will help.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope

I dont need to go through that much trouble

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope

I dont need to go through that much trouble

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
well of course you don't...not in Kansas anyway
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You guys can't?

Nope

Can't plant trees in the duck pond, that'd be silly. I do plan on dumping a couple boxes of apples on the ground. Does that count? Don't be jealous.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby triplecurl » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Everybody around here uses corn for the most part. I wish they didn't allow baiting here but they do. If they banned baiting, it would cut the deer hunters by 50%. A lot of them bait 8 months up year round with electronic feeders.
triplecurl

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Tripod, if there is a tree in the area strap the pvc to the tree about 2' of the ground or a little higher. It'll help keep the varmits out of it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:30 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Tripod, if there is a tree in the area strap the pvc to the tree about 2' of the ground or a little higher. It'll help keep the varmits out of it.

Couldn't do it unless he rebuilt his feeder. All his high dollar "deer treats" would fall out. :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:33 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Tripod, if there is a tree in the area strap the pvc to the tree about 2' of the ground or a little higher. It'll help keep the varmits out of it.

Couldn't do it unless he rebuilt his feeder. All his high dollar "deer treats" would fall out. :lol:

All he has to do is buy a cap for the end of it(I would cap both ends to keep rain out) and cut the bottom cap to fit the angle so that there is a hole for the deer to eat out of.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:35 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

All he has to do is buy a cap for the end of it(I would cap both ends to keep rain out) and cut the bottom cap to fit the angle so that there is a hole for the deer to eat out of.

That would work too. I already said this.

The Duck Hammer wrote:I've built several like that but put an elbow on the bottom and drilled holes in it so that it can drain. That way you can get it off the ground.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:37 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

way I've always seem it done as well.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:39 pm

AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:40 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

That would work too. I already said this.

The Duck Hammer wrote:I've built several like that but put an elbow on the bottom and drilled holes in it so that it can drain. That way you can get it off the ground.

That's how I build mine. But for what he has, he wouldn't have to get an elbow and 1-2' piece to stick out. He could simply put a cap on the bottom, cut a notch out of the cap to make a hole big enough for a deers mouth and call it a day. Actually, I think the cap may work better at keeping the other critters out.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Image

Mine have the same camo and everything. :thumbsup:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 pm

You guys are high tech. I just have my buddy run off about 400 pounds of corn from the combine in each corner of the fields I hunt. Works like a charm.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

triplecurl wrote:Everybody around here uses corn for the most part. I wish they didn't allow baiting here but they do. If they banned baiting, it would cut the deer hunters by 50%. A lot of them bait 8 months up year round with electronic feeders.
banning baiting doesn't do shit. It's been illegal where I hunt for as long as Ive been hunting, and literally tons of beats and corn are sold at every corner store in the area from sept-dec. just because it's illegal doesn't mean people will stop.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting