Poor man's deer feeder

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Re: Poor man's deer feeder

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 pm

rebelp74 wrote:How many tags y'all get? 6 here.

Archery- there are a few draw areas but the majority is general archery - 1 buck
Rifle - draw areas with limited general areas - 1 buck
Very limited opportunities to kill a doe, mostly reserved for youth hunters
Very few cases a guy could kill more than 1 deer per year
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Archery- there are a few draw areas but the majority is general archery - 1 buck
Rifle - draw areas with limited general areas - 1 buck
Very limited opportunities to kill a doe, mostly reserved for youth hunters
Very few cases a guy could kill more than 1 deer per year

That sucks. But I guess y'all make up for it with other big game. All there is here is deer and hogs.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Unlimited doe, 1 buck per weapon. And I have 28 damage tags. And baiting is legal.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:52 pm

assateague wrote:Unlimited doe, 1 buck per weapon. And I have 28 damage tags. And baiting is legal.

Ha. MD is good for something.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 pm

This is true.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 am

I kind of wish we had a doe problem
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 am

3legged_lab wrote:I kind of wish we had a doe problem

We do here but the fags don't let us shoot them.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:48 am

2 buck tags. And 5 doe tags a day starting sometime in August till the end of the season. So like 300 and somthin...
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 am

I think I can shoot like 7 deer per season....don't know as one was always enough.
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 am

3legged_lab wrote:Why camo the feeder? You do want the deer to find it, right?
dude come on. We're hunters, everything is camo
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

Redbeard wrote:

Fuck that. I want these deer to view the feeder as a free cookie jar and me as their friend. That way come opening morning - whack - friend is a backstabber!
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Fuck that. I want these deer to view the feeder as a free cookie jar and me as their friend. That way come opening morning - whack - friend is a backstabber!

Sometimes something new in a deer's environment will have them spooky. A large white column coming out of the ground isn't exactly normal. I fed sweet feed out of an old roaster pan once, and the first day it was out I had a doe lockup and high tail it when she saw it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am

Good thing there is 6 weeks til season
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Sometimes something new in a deer's environment will have them spooky. A large white column coming out of the ground isn't exactly normal. I fed sweet feed out of an old roaster pan once, and the first day it was out I had a doe lockup and high tail it when she saw it.

And the contrary happens quite often, too. When hunting public land, I've seen deer come up and sniff on a tire which got tossed into the path, empty beer cans, and a strip of pink surveyors tape about 3 feet long flapping from a tree limb.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm

assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

And the contrary happens quite often, too. When hunting public land, I've seen deer come up and sniff on a tire which got tossed into the path, empty beer cans, and a strip of pink surveyors tape about 3 feet long flapping from a tree limb.

True but if the deer live in a seclude place where they don't have much contact with foreign objects they get spooked.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:[quote="3legged_lab"]Why camo the feeder? You do want the deer to find it, right?

True but if the deer live in a seclude place where they don't have much contact with foreign objects they get spooked.[/quote]
Whitetail don't live in such places. To predictable.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am

1 buck and unlimited does, just gotta keep buying tags

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:[quote="3legged_lab"]Why camo the feeder? You do want the deer to find it, right?

True but if the deer live in a seclude place where they don't have much contact with foreign objects they get spooked.[/quote]
I find the opposite. If they are around people, they get spooked by people stuff. If they are secluded, they are stupidly curious

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Goldfish wrote:
1 buck and unlimited does, just gotta keep buying tags

sent from a phancy fone

I think thats our deal, too.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Our tags are free. Kill as many as you want. I can't wait until they start offering a bounty for does. My thriftiness will give me a hard-on over that one. Free meat AND free money? Heck yes.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm

assateague wrote:Our tags are free. Kill as many as you want. I can't wait until they start offering a bounty for does. My thriftiness will give me a hard-on over that one. Free meat AND free money? Heck yes.

Does nobody else hunt around there?

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm

assateague wrote:Our tags are free. Kill as many as you want. I can't wait until they start offering a bounty for does. My thriftiness will give me a hard-on over that one. Free meat AND free money? Heck yes.

WTH! You bitch all the time but can kill as many fuckin deer as you want?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Yep.

And yes, quite a few people hunt. The problem is that a lot- and I mean a LOT- of the farmland which used to be hunted by locals, with the "it's brown it's down" mentality (count me among them) to put it in the freezer have been leased out by folks and "clubs" from the western shore, most notably from the Baltimore area. I don't fault the farmers a bit, they're getting gobs of money for this stuff. But thses guys are down for maybe a week, but more likely a long weekend, during rifle season. The rest of the time the farm is off limits to everyone, and when they come down, the last thing they're going to do is blast a doe on opening morning and "screw up" the rest of the hunt that morning. They're down here for one thing and one thing only- to kill a big buck. It's not even QDM, it's just a desire to shoot a big deer. But they don't realize that what they're doing is counterproductive, and that the farms here aren't big enough for any sort of management practice. I will almost guarantee that very, very few hunters sit in a stand and do NOT see a deer they could easily kill. Whether they pull the trigger or not is another story.

And another big part of the problem is the decreasing of public hunting areas, and a complete lack of effort to open the suburban areas up to bow hunting. They keep expanding the "buffer" area, which takes areas away, slowly but surely. It used to be 100 yards from an occupied structure. Then it became 100 yards from any structure. And then 150 yards. And now it's 250 yards. And there's a serious push to pass a bill which requires that you be 250 yards from any other PROPERTY LINE, not even a structure, which will pretty much lock out a shit ton of hunting area. I personally won't pay any attention to it, but many people will. And the rats will continue to multiply. At least I can pick up a road kill deer pretty much at any moment if I feel like going out and getting one.
assateague

Postby jehler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:36 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

im thinking DH knows about as much about deer as he does explosive arrow heads
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

assateague wrote:Yep.

And yes, quite a few people hunt. The problem is that a lot- and I mean a LOT- of the farmland which used to be hunted by locals, with the "it's brown it's down" mentality (count me among them) to put it in the freezer have been leased out by folks and "clubs" from the western shore, most notably from the Baltimore area. I don't fault the farmers a bit, they're getting gobs of money for this stuff. But thses guys are down for maybe a week, but more likely a long weekend, during rifle season. The rest of the time the farm is off limits to everyone, and when they come down, the last thing they're going to do is blast a doe on opening morning and "screw up" the rest of the hunt that morning. They're down here for one thing and one thing only- to kill a big buck. It's not even QDM, it's just a desire to shoot a big deer. But they don't realize that what they're doing is counterproductive, and that the farms here aren't big enough for any sort of management practice. I will almost guarantee that very, very few hunters sit in a stand and do NOT see a deer they could easily kill. Whether they pull the trigger or not is another story.

And another big part of the problem is the decreasing of public hunting areas, and a complete lack of effort to open the suburban areas up to bow hunting. They keep expanding the "buffer" area, which takes areas away, slowly but surely. It used to be 100 yards from an occupied structure. Then it became 100 yards from any structure. And then 150 yards. And now it's 250 yards. And there's a serious push to pass a bill which requires that you be 250 yards from any other PROPERTY LINE, not even a structure, which will pretty much lock out a shit ton of hunting area. I personally won't pay any attention to it, but many people will. And the rats will continue to multiply. At least I can pick up a road kill deer pretty much at any moment if I feel like going out and getting one.

I see. Years ago they upped our tags to 1 buck and 6 does a year. Our deer numbers have decreased. Lees and less dead deer on the highway. Also opened unit 19 in KC metro, open close to 2 months for rifle use.

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm

We had been at 2 bucks and 10 does per weapon for years and years. Didn't even make a dent. Then went to unlimited does and 1 buck. Not sure what their intentions are, but something needs to be done. These fuckers are everywhere. Just this afternoon, about 4:45, coming back from town I passed a herd of probably 35-40, broad daylight, in a bean field. That AR is gonna be put to use when it cools off. I will think nothing of taking a utility trailer loaded with deer like cordwood home for the butchering.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 pm

assateague wrote:We had been at 2 bucks and 10 does per weapon for years and years. Didn't even make a dent. Then went to unlimited does and 1 buck. Not sure what their intentions are, but something needs to be done. These fuckers are everywhere. Just this afternoon, about 4:45, coming back from town I passed a herd of probably 35-40, broad daylight, in a bean field. That AR is gonna be put to use when it cools off. I will think nothing of taking a utility trailer loaded with deer like cordwood home for the butchering.

I wouldn't think nothing of it, I think it'd be pretty awesome.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm

assateague wrote:We had been at 2 bucks and 10 does per weapon for years and years. Didn't even make a dent. Then went to unlimited does and 1 buck. Not sure what their intentions are, but something needs to be done. These fuckers are everywhere. Just this afternoon, about 4:45, coming back from town I passed a herd of probably 35-40, broad daylight, in a bean field. That AR is gonna be put to use when it cools off. I will think nothing of taking a utility trailer loaded with deer like cordwood home for the butchering.

This would be sheer awesomeness.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 am

We are allowed two tags for the zone I hunt. I plant corn and milo for those little furry bastards. We love eating them so my wife gets a tag if I happen to fill my two. Two good size bucks last us for a long time, but killing three is better. ;)
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Previous

Return to Big Game Hunting