In'em

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

In'em

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Some of you guys have already heard but, for those who haven't, I drew 2 elk tags for WY this season. So long about Feb. I started taking walks to get my legs ready. I started at 2-3 miles per walk at about 2 hours. I have worked myself to 6 miles carrying 20# in a pack in about 4 hours.
So, this morning's walk, I got to an area where I see most of the elk on my walks. All of a sudden, the wind shifted a bit and I get a nose full of elk smell. For those who haven't smelled one before, they have a much stronger smell than deer and, somewhere near or, just a little less than a black bear. The closest thing I can compare it to is the smell of wet horses.
Anyway, I just figured they were down in the canyon below me and didn't really give it too much more thought. When I got to the next hump in the ridge, I got an even stronger dose of it. I put my 2 labs on a sit stay and hoped my wife's dog would stick close until I figured out where they were.
I proceeded down the trail slowly listening, and looking and hoping the bassett hound would not break out ahead.
All I had with me was a cell phone, so I turned on the camera to get ready, in case they were close.
I look up from getting the phone ready and this guy is standing in the same trail looking straight at me. I was busted.

By this time, they definately know I am there. I'm only 40 yards away. So the rest of the elk in the immediate AO are starting to get up and figure out what's going on.

I waited until they moved off and up a hill to my right. I hand signal the dogs to come and we tried to sneak around them with out spooking them. Well, there were more elk there than I had original seen. as I moved to skirt around them, the hill was full of them. I looked up the hill to an old logging skid road and there were more standing just watching us.

Now I have to take the dogs and walk straight away from them where they can see us so they will settle down and move into the timber instead of spooking them out of the county. So we head off to another old clearcut spur road that is almost completely over grown. I'm having to use the machete to clean things up some for easier walking and the bassett hound gets out ahead by 40-50 yards. All of a sudden, she comes running straight back at me like she saw a ghost. I look up and not 10 feet from where she turned around is an elk watching her backtrail(where we are standing). I couldn't get the phone out quick enough before she spooked of into the heavy brush. just 2 steps and I couldn't even see the color of her through the brush.
So, I wasn't even realizing it, until I got home and looked at the pictures but, the intial young bull was standing probably within 5' of where I killed my last bull just 2 years ago.
Sorry for the cell pics. Some day I'll buy another camera.
Just thought I'd share, this is basically my backyard. My walk starts from home.
QH's Paw

In'em

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm jealous. That sounds pretty amazing.
Westie25

In'em

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm

I still have to cross hearing the bugle off my bucket list some day.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: In'em

Postby 12cdux » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 pm

that was great. we all need too stay out of colorado now till they get brain cells active again
12cdux

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 am

Flightstopper wrote:I still have to cross hearing the bugle off my bucket list some day.

When I was in AZ, I went on an elk hunt with my BIL in New Mexico. We had three bulls circling the juniper tree we were holed up in, at about 40 yards. They were all three raising hell, and I will say the bugles were FAR louder and more intimidating than I thought they'd be. Made you cringe from time to time, they were so loud. Unfortunately, they were satellite bulls, and he was waiting for the big 7x7 he had seen, so no shot.

On that same trip I saw a wolf, and a mountain lion at a full run clear a 30 foot wide cut across a logging road right in front of us like it wasn't even there. And about 2,000 elk. It was amazing.
assateague

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Flightstopper wrote:I still have to cross hearing the bugle off my bucket list some day.

One of the few things that will send chills down your spine. I will probably take my father out to NM for a guided hunt in the next few years.
assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, will you get that first pintail mounted?

I'll more than likely just mount it right there in the field.
quacknstack6

Postby bill herian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I shot a bull in Idaho when I was 13, lucky little bastard I know.

I think about elk hunting every night before I fall asleep. I would burn all of my duck hunting stuff right now if it meant I could go elk hunting this fall.
bill herian

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 am

bill herian wrote:I shot a bull in Idaho when I was 13, lucky little bastard I know.

I think about elk hunting every night before I fall asleep. I would burn all of my duck hunting stuff right now if it meant I could go elk hunting this fall.

Just fuckin do it! There's still 9 days left to put in for MT tags.
Bulldog0156

Postby JGUN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:
bill herian wrote:I shot a bull in Idaho when I was 13, lucky little bastard I know.

Just fuckin do it! There's still 9 days left to put in for MT tags.

I would if only I knew someone out there.
JGUN

Postby bill herian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:59 pm

JGUN wrote:I would if only I knew someone out there.

Thats the beauty of elk hunting. You don't need to know anyone. You just need to know how to set up a tent. When my dad was my age he and his buddies went to MT every year. They didn't even know what a fucking elk looked like. They just knew they wanted to go. They camped or did drop camps. He never killed an elk, but shot a really nice Mule Deer near Nye. Often tells me that the best money he ever spent was going out west. Pretty much his philosphy in life, everything you do, you do so that come fall, you can go elk hunting.

Elk are truly unique. Where else in the world do you see a big game animal that is accessable to any idiot that wants to hunt them? In my opinion, elk are the last blue collar big game animal in North America.

Bulldog0156 wrote:Just fuckin do it! There's still 9 days left to put in for MT tags.

If I wasn't in school yet and had a thousand bucks for the kill ticket, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
bill herian

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm

bill herian wrote:
JGUN wrote:I would if only I knew someone out there.

Thats the beauty of elk hunting. You don't need to know anyone. You just need to know how to set up a tent. When my dad was my age he and his buddies went to MT every year. They didn't even know what a fucking elk looked like. They just knew they wanted to go. They camped or did drop camps. He never killed an elk, but shot a really nice Mule Deer near Nye. Often tells me that the best money he ever spent was going out west. Pretty much his philosphy in life, everything you do, you do so that come fall, you can go elk hunting.

Elk are truly unique. Where else in the world do you see a big game animal that is accessable to any idiot that wants to hunt them? In my opinion, elk are the last blue collar big game animal in North America.

Bulldog0156 wrote:Just fuckin do it! There's still 9 days left to put in for MT tags.

If I wasn't in school yet and had a thousand bucks for the kill ticket, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

:lol: Jgun's just giving me shit, we have met. Definitely a steep price to pay for an out of state tag, I've got a friend or three paying the big bucks to try their luck this fall. No pressure on me or anything!
Bulldog0156

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 am

Bulldog0156 wrote: :lol: Jgun's just giving me shit, we have met. Definitely a steep price to pay for an out of state tag, I've got a friend or three paying the big bucks to try their luck this fall. No pressure on me or anything!

You can't take it with you and, when you're done, there are no do overs. :beer:
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 am

QH's Paw wrote:there are no do overs. :beer:

Sure there are boss, I'm an old soul, possibly a thousand lives under my belt, very extraordinary I guess, according to the creepy old palm reader lady in palm desert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Bulldog0156 wrote: :lol: Jgun's just giving me shit, we have met. Definitely a steep price to pay for an out of state tag, I've got a friend or three paying the big bucks to try their luck this fall. No pressure on me or anything!

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'

Wasn't that Tupac or something?
Bulldog0156

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'

Wasn't that Tupac or something?

Shawshank Redemption I believe.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:09 pm

So I was close. Now that you say it, I actually remember that part.
Bulldog0156

Return to Big Game Hunting