Another deer

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Re: Another deer

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 pm

one2many wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
assateague wrote:Because there's a difference between those somehow?

That's my point, there isn't but I think people say 6 point because it sounds respectable, 3x3 not so much. Quite honestly I couldn't care less, have probably been deer hunting less than a half dozen times in my life. That being said, its a 5x5, not a 10 point. Think of it this way, if you tell someone you shot 6 ducks, they always ask what you shot. If I tell you I shot 4 mallards a gadwall and a bootlip, you know exactly what I shot, not just how many.

You are confusing deer with elk. If someone came up to me and said they got a 6x6 I'm going to be thinking elk. 12 point registers as deer. And when I kill ducks it's just a number. When someone asks how many fish you caught do you break that down too?

Sent from my Vox Mortem

x2 on the elk vs deer.
sws where is a six point deer respectable?

It's a Michigan wall hanger, those fuckers shoot anything with antlers. "Cause if I don't, the next guy will"
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 pm

one2many wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:

That's my point, there isn't but I think people say 6 point because it sounds respectable, 3x3 not so much. Quite honestly I couldn't care less, have probably been deer hunting less than a half dozen times in my life. That being said, its a 5x5, not a 10 point. Think of it this way, if you tell someone you shot 6 ducks, they always ask what you shot. If I tell you I shot 4 mallards a gadwall and a bootlip, you know exactly what I shot, not just how many.

You are confusing deer with elk. If someone came up to me and said they got a 6x6 I'm going to be thinking elk. 12 point registers as deer. And when I kill ducks it's just a number. When someone asks how many fish you caught do you break that down too?

Sent from my Vox Mortem

x2 on the elk vs deer.
sws where is a six point deer respectable?

Id be tickled pink with a six pointer if it had a 13" spread.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I must be missing something here?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

For a buck to be legal it has to have a 13" inside spread. I haven't seen a buck that big within range in probably 4 years.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:21 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

And don't get me wrong, I don't mean to belittle anybody's trophy, but a 13" spread 3x3 is a tiny deer around here (and most anywhere as far as I know). Even then, if it's a trophy to you, great, congratulations, you're doing it right. What I couldn't stand was the attitude I quoted earlier, "If I don't shoot it, the next guy will". I'm all for shooting deer, I don't care if you want to kill the whole herd, but don't give me the reason that you are only shooting it for the simple fact that if you don't, the next guy will. Not only was that attitude evident in my area, it was the prevalent attitude and I hated it. Feed your family. Sure. If it's brown, it's down. Whatever, I get it. My whole beef was that you are basically telling me in one statement that you had no desire to shoot that particular deer and would likely have passed on it, but would rather shoot it than allow someone else the chance to turn it down, feed their family, etc. That being said, back on topic, it's still a 3x3.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

For a buck to be legal it has to have a 13" inside spread. I haven't seen a buck that big within range in probably 4 years.

How the fuck do they expect you to measure that? You telling me you can easily identify the difference between a 13" rack and a 15" rack at 100 yards? I know damn well I couldn't. That's just plain retarded.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jehler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I try and shoot deer with milk in their lips, whether they have balls or not doesnt matter to me
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm

jehler wrote:I try and shoot deer with milk in their lips, whether they have balls or not doesnt matter to me

One of the regulars I had made a point of doing this during the early antlerless up there. He'd take his .22-250 and head shoot the smallest deer he could find opening day, would actually pass on deer because they were too big, all so they could throw the entire thing on the grill that day.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

How the fuck do they expect you to measure that? You telling me you can easily identify the difference between a 13" rack and a 15" rack at 100 yards? I know damn well I couldn't. That's just plain retarded.

Supposedly a deer with its ears in alert is 13" ear tip to ear tip but its a crapshoot at best. Ear tips get froze off, torn up, ect. some gamewardens are complete dickheads about it and will get a tape and measure, others go by the ears. About two years ago I had a buck at yards with my bow that looked right at the mark, but I was too scared to shoot. Cant afford the ticket. I got back to the truck and did the best I could to remember how big he was, gaged it with my hands, and measured. Depending on how good my judging was he came in at 12". Broke my heart to let him walk because I had a perfect shot and he would have been my first bow kill.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Supposedly a deer with its ears in alert is 13" ear tip to ear tip but its a crapshoot at best. Ear tips get froze off, torn up, ect. some gamewardens are complete dickheads about it and will get a tape and measure, others go by the ears. About two years ago I had a buck at yards with my bow that looked right at the mark, but I was too scared to shoot. Cant afford the ticket. I got back to the truck and did the best I could to remember how big he was, gaged it with my hands, and measured. Depending on how good my judging was he came in at 12". Broke my heart to let him walk because I had a perfect shot and he would have been my first bow kill.

Holy hell that's dumb. I liked the idea of Michigan's restricted license, you got one unrestricted buck tag which allowed you to shoot anything you wanted, but the restricted had to have at least 4 points on one side (read: not a 4 point).
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jehler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:[quote="The Duck Hammer"]

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Holy hell that's dumb. I liked the idea of Michigan's restricted license, you got one unrestricted buck tag which allowed you to shoot anything you wanted, but the restricted had to have at least 4 points on one side (read: not a 4 point).[/quote]not anymore, jgun voted away our freedom
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

This is also only in certain counties down here. There are still many that you can shoot any buck with horns. Spikes also fall into a different category.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

This is also only in certain counties down here. There are still many that you can shoot any buck with horns. Spikes also fall into a different category.

Yep we can kill one 13" or greater and one spike.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby one2many » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 pm

a buck in iowa is 1 forked antler.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Thank God we own land......
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 pm

sws002 wrote: You telling me you can easily identify the difference between a 13" rack and a 15" rack at 100 yards?

Correct.
bill herian

Postby one2many » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

bill herian wrote:
sws002 wrote: You telling me you can easily identify the difference between a 13" rack and a 15" rack at 100 yards?

Correct.

like the bull moose regs in places. has to be a certain size. i wouldnt be able to tell if it was pretty close, best to let it walk and find on thats a slam dunk
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Screw that. They're vermin, all of them.
assateague

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

assateague wrote:Screw that. They're vermin, all of them.

I can get on board with that, the only one that has ever bothered me is the statement mentioned above.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 pm

one2many wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
one2many wrote:
quackhead wrote:He's only in the 140's. so not big. And when you folks gonna learn how to count? He's a 4 pt. lol

nice deer,but jehler is right! its not our fault you guys west of the missouri river cant add single digits together :D

If your buddy tells you he "shot a 13 pointer" would have any mental image of he rack?
If quack told me he "shot a 4X5 w/double eye guards" I pretty much can picture it.

And go, John. :lol:

my buddies would say they shot a 180 inch typical and i would have a pretty good idea what it would look like.

Most of the time around here when someone says they shot a 180 buck they are usually a liar. :lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

sws002 wrote:

I can get on board with that, the only one that has ever bothered me is the statement mentioned above.

I agree. Always pisses me off in those hunting shows where it's "the last day". If you wouldn't shoot it on the first day, you shouldn't shoot it on the last.
assateague

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 pm

assateague wrote:
sws002 wrote:

I agree. Always pisses me off in those hunting shows where it's "the last day". If you wouldn't shoot it on the first day, you shouldn't shoot it on the last.

I like to think if I ever do get into deer hunting that I would operate on the Holy Shit Principle. As in, if I see a deer walk in range and my first reaction is "Holy Shit", then that deer is worthy of shooting. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a wall-hanger, just something that impressed me to begin with.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

sws002 wrote:
assateague wrote:
sws002 wrote:

I like to think if I ever do get into deer hunting that I would operate on the Holy Shit Principle. As in, if I see a deer walk in range and my first reaction is "Holy Shit", then that deer is worthy of shooting. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a wall-hanger, just something that impressed me to begin with.

That's definitely how I would do it. But Id probably pull an Assa and be shaking so bad Id miss. :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm

sws002 wrote:

But the way you guys count points a 6 pointer is a forked horn with brow tines. A 3x3 for us is three points on both sides, plus eye-guards.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby AKPirate » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Here it has to be over 50 inches or have three browtines in most areas. First legal bull goes down.

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

AKPirate wrote:Here it has to be over 50 inches or have three browtines in most areas. First legal bull goes down.

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG

Just trumped all deer talk.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:Here it has to be over 50 inches or have three browtines in most areas. First legal bull goes down.

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG

If he brings some to the WCH, he will trump us all. I have only had moose a few times, but it was the best meat I have ever had.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby AKPirate » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG

If he brings some to the WCH, he will trump us all. I have only had moose a few times, but it was the best meat I have ever had.

Those were 05 and 12, Friend shot a little baby this year and I will see if I can get a few roasts for us to make steaks for us all. No promises, though.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG

Those were 05 and 12, Friend shot a little baby this year and I will see if I can get a few roasts for us to make steaks for us all. No promises, though.

Well, get out and poach us one dammit
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

P1010385.jpg

t5.JPG

Well, get out and poach us one dammit

X2. :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

PreviousNext

Return to Big Game Hunting