first deer of the year

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

first deer of the year

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

2013092495134323.jpg

for comparison, my lab is 120# :D
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: first deer of the year

Postby bill herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 pm

You hung it the wrong way.
bill herian

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 pm

bill herian wrote:You hung it the wrong way.

50/50
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

It certianly loses it's bravado when the odds actually are 50/50.
bill herian

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

You people are backwards.
assateague

Postby jehler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:03 pm

assateague wrote:

nope
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:04 pm

assateague wrote:

Why would you hang a deer with the head down unless your were bleeding it out or something? Which makes no sense what so ever because its already dead.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm

capt1972 wrote:
2013092495134323.jpg

So what'd it weigh? 125?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I'd like to hear the theories from the opposing sides. ass up/ass down. Assa? you first
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:07 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
2013092495134323.jpg

So what'd it weigh? 125?

We could go with that, or I could tell you that my Lab is really only 60#.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:16 pm

capt1972 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
2013092495134323.jpg

So what'd it weigh? 125?

So 62?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby bill herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm sorry, I spoke too soon.

I hang them head up after I kill them, and they usually ahng for 3-7 days at camp.

When I am ready to process I hang upside down.

Didn't see the garage there :lol:

New question: Are you hanging it to hang it or are you hanging it to skin it?
bill herian

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
2013092495134323.jpg

So what'd it weigh? 125?

So 62?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm

bill herian wrote:I'm sorry, I spoke too soon.

I hang them head up after I kill them, and they usually ahng for 3-7 days at camp.

I hang them heads up to gut (it is extremely easy, the guts just about fall out) into a plastic barrel. I then rinse out with a hose to clean the cavity and cool the meat faster. Then to the check in station. When I get back I hang them ass up so any remaining blood goes to the neck away from the "good cuts" of meat in the ass end. I've just always done it this way. I'm a huge believer in taking care of fish/game with ice and bleeding out right after the kill. We have done this with 7 1/2 year old bucks that should have been grizzly as hell on the plate but instead have been tender and not the least bit gamey.

By the way, I always cut my deer within 2-3 days of the kill. Not a fan of the week long hang to age the meat.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 pm

capt1972 wrote:

I hang them heads up to gut (it is extremely easy, the guts just about fall out) into a plastic barrel. I then rinse out with a hose to clean the cavity and cool the meat faster. Then to the check in station. When I get back I hang them ass up so any remaining blood goes to the neck away from the "good cuts" of meat in the ass end. I've just always done it this way. I'm a huge believer in taking care of fish/game with ice and bleeding out right after the kill. We have done this with 7 1/2 year old bucks that should have been grizzly as hell on the plate but instead have been tender and not the least bit gamey.

By the way, I always cut my deer within 2-3 days of the kill. Not a fan of the week long hang to age the meat.

Wait....so you drag your deer out of the field with the guts in?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

yes, very small piece of property, don't want to "contaminate" the area. also have a four-wheeler so its pretty easy. Shoot deer, find arrow, go get four-wheeler, ride back to stand, follow blood trail, load deer, drive out.
"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

That's what I thought, too. What a dumb idea. Gut them where they lay.

I hang them head down because all the cuts of meat are either on the hind end or start from the hind end (back straps). While cutting the roasts and jerky meat off, the hind legs are secure if hung upside down. Back straps cone off easier if started back to front, too, starting with the bigger end. And when you get to the shoulders, if it's hung upside down, gravity already has the legs pulled away from the body, so sll you have to do is cut some membrane and they fall right off.

Head up is backwards.
assateague

first deer of the year

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 pm

I haven't ever butchered a deer but when I do hogs I hang them head Up. Slit their throat first, let them bleed out, then hang them head up. After I skin and gut em, I work from the bottom up.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

That's what I thought, too. What a dumb idea. Gut them where they lay.

I hang them head down because all the cuts of meat are either on the hind end or start from the hind end (back straps). While cutting the roasts and jerky meat off, the hind legs are secure if hung upside down. Back straps cone off easier if started back to front, too, starting with the bigger end. And when you get to the shoulders, if it's hung upside down, gravity already has the legs pulled away from the body, so sll you have to do is cut some membrane and they fall right off.

Head up is backwards.

This to a T. Much easier and just work my way up.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:27 pm

You guys bring them home?

I keep a garbage bag in the pocket of my coat. Probably 50% of them get boned out where they fall and never gutted. Pull the back straps and bone out the hams and let the coyotes have the rest
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

No way. There's about 10 pounds of jerky meat on the carcass. And the neighbor's livestock dogs looooooove it when I throw the carcasses over the fence to them.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 pm

God makes more every spring, I'm not putting that much effort into scrapping one out. I've made jerky out of back straps before
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:God makes more every spring, I'm not putting that much effort into scrapping one out. I've made jerky out of back straps before

I can 100% of it. Loins and all.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Congrats on your first of the season. :beer:
I gut it or bone it out where it falls. I might do it different if I shot it in someone's yard but, I don't usually hunt peoples yards. When I hang a whole animal, I only hang it once. It gets skinned and butchered from that hanging. Why double handle it? We hang them head down.
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:19 pm

I would also add, we aren't required to take our deer to a check station here, or anywhere I've hunted. There are occasionally checkpoints you pass through that you are required to show your animal. WY has these everywhere I've hunted for deer, antelope and elk.
Bear, have to be check in most all the states I have hunted but, sometimes they just want reproductive tract and other times and places require the whole animal(gutted is allowed).
QH's Paw

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am

QH's Paw wrote:Congrats on your first of the season. :beer:
I gut it or bone it out where it falls. I might do it different if I shot it in someone's yard but, I don't usually hunt peoples yards. When I hang a whole animal, I only hang it once. It gets skinned and butchered from that hanging. Why double handle it? We hang them head down.

I never said it was in a yard, I said it was a small piece of property. About a 50 acre piece of woods. Plus we have many coyotes around and dont need to give them more of a reason to come around.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby quackhead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

Congrats! Head down! Or never hung at all.
quackhead

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

Most of the meat deer we kill we shoot in feilds, drive the truck up to them, and throw them in, guts and all, then hang the from the electric winch gambrel in the garage, skin them, then gut them, lets the guts fall into an old garbage can, then dump can at a later date for coyote bait. Way easier doing it this way.

BrewGUN

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm

capt1972 wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Congrats on your first of the season. :beer:

I never said it was in a yard, I said it was a small piece of property. About a 50 acre piece of woods. Plus we have many coyotes around and dont need to give them more of a reason to come around.

You seem a little sensitive about this. I never said you shot your's in a yard. I said if I shot one in someone's yard. Where I live some people have yards measured in acres. My yard where I live now is 2 acres, for example. ;)
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 pm

quackhead wrote:Congrats! Head down! Or never hung at all.
funny, guys out west don't know how to hang deer or count the points ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting