first deer of the year

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Re: first deer of the year

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:53 am

jehler wrote:
quackhead wrote:Congrats! Head down! Or never hung at all.
funny, guys out west don't know how to hang deer or count the points ;)

That's especially funny coming from the guy(Johnny) who won't elk hunt because there are no showers in camp. :lol: :lol: :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 am

QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:

That's especially funny coming from the guy(Johnny) who won't elk hunt because there are no showers in camp. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Id love to Elk hunt in OR. Just walk up to an elk, shoot it, win.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:46 pm

New property, new stand. Going in blind. Hard to see from the pic, but I'm in the middle of about a 30 yard wide choke point, with nasty thick second growth gum, beech, and greenbriars on my right and a thick cypress swamp on my left. This whole flat is full of shag hickory, which the deer don't really eat. But these bastard squirrels sure do. I've been here 10 minutes and seen about 15.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380311039.246333.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 pm

assateague wrote:New property, new stand. Going in blind. Hard to see from the pic, but I'm in the middle of about a 30 yard wide choke point, with nasty thick second growth gum, beech, and greenbriars on my right and a thick cypress swamp on my left. This whole flat is full of shag hickory, which the deer don't really eat. But these bastard squirrels sure do. I've been here 10 minutes and seen about 15.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380311039.246333.jpg

Gamo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:

I can't wait to see your hunting video. Let me knw how that works out for you. :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:07 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:

I can't wait to see your hunting video. Let me knw how that works out for you. :lol:

Don't worry Q, he's high on maple syrup.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby quackhead » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:10 am

jehler wrote:

I take it you don't butcher your own? It only makes sense to have the hind quarters solid when you cut the rounds,tips and sirloins off the bone
quackhead

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 pm

quackhead wrote:
jehler wrote:

I take it you don't butcher your own? It only makes sense to have the hind quarters solid when you cut the rounds,tips and sirloins off the bone
butcher them in the field, hanging from the head, it's a very fast efficient process
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:29 pm

jehler wrote:
quackhead wrote:
jehler wrote:

butcher them in the field, hanging from the head, it's a very fast efficient process

Blasphemy!

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Ok, if you have it hanging from the back legs how the hell do you cut the rear hams off? So illogical. I hang from the head and skin it out (not gutted) cut out the neck roasts, front legs and then lift it a little. Next the back straps and then the rear quarters, All the while I've not put a knife to its belly, haven't messed with the shitter, bladder or stomach contents, meat is clean as hell and right into a cooler with ice where it stays for the next ten days or so. Last thing I do is spill the guts enough to grab the heart and the inner loins which get ate straight away. I really wish I liked liver, been trying to like it since I was a kid, but for now that bit stays.

If its a 4 point or better we hang it right from the horns ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Deer don't have horns....

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:06 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Deer don't have horns....

Sent from my Vox Mortem

yep
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm

jehler wrote:Ok, if you have it hanging from the back legs how the hell do you cut the rear hams off? So illogical. I hang from the head and skin it out (not gutted) cut out the neck roasts, front legs and then lift it a little. Next the back straps and then the rear quarters, All the while I've not put a knife to its belly, haven't messed with the shitter, bladder or stomach contents, meat is clean as hell and right into a cooler with ice where it stays for the next ten days or so. Last thing I do is spill the guts enough to grab the heart and the inner loins which get ate straight away. I really wish I liked liver, been trying to like it since I was a kid, but for now that bit stays.

So when you say 4 point, your count, is that a spike with eyeguards(brow tines) or is it a forked horn or (?).
QH's Paw

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:Ok, if you have it hanging from the back legs how the hell do you cut the rear hams off? So illogical. I hang from the head and skin it out (not gutted) cut out the neck roasts, front legs and then lift it a little. Next the back straps and then the rear quarters, All the while I've not put a knife to its belly, haven't messed with the shitter, bladder or stomach contents, meat is clean as hell and right into a cooler with ice where it stays for the next ten days or so. Last thing I do is spill the guts enough to grab the heart and the inner loins which get ate straight away. I really wish I liked liver, been trying to like it since I was a kid, but for now that bit stays.

So when you say 4 point, your count, is that a spike with eyeguards(brow tines) or is it a forked horn or (?).

Pretty easy. It has 4 points.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

Pretty easy. It has 4 points.

no kidding, it's like asking what shape or a cheerie-O
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 pm

:lol:
assateague

Postby bill herian » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:06 pm

We're gonna get along, me and you.
bill herian

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Mix the liver in with sausage or use it in dirty rice. hence the dirty in dirty rice.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Because you gut it and let it hang. Who the hell ages deer in wet ice? No way it'll ever tack up. Yuck.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:45 pm

assateague wrote:

Because you gut it and let it hang. Who the hell ages deer in wet ice? No way it'll ever tack up. Yuck.

I "age" it in wet ice so to speak. I keep em in an ice chest for at least 3 days up to a week.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:52 pm

But you can't "age" something when it's wet. Well, I guess you can, but you certainly never hear of a steakhouse serving "wet-aged steak". If it's just gutted and hung, all the moisture and outer fluids (in the sinew and exposed muscle casings) on the outside will form a plastic "skin" in about an hour. The deer is dry to the touch. Bugs, flies, whatever cannot get past this. This helps keep the inside from drying out to much, but still allows the meat to start breaking down. Keeping things in a wet environment encourages the wrong kind of bacteria for good breaking down. But by all means, do what works for you. Not saying one's right or wrong, but I've done both. All the deer I shoot in the summer I have to put in a cooler on ice, because it's too hot to hang, and they have never been even close to as tender or tasty as one which was gutted and hung. Not even close.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:55 pm

assateague wrote:But you can't "age" something when it's wet. Well, I guess you can, but you certainly never hear of a steakhouse serving "wet-aged steak". If it's just gutted and hung, all the moisture and outer fluids (in the sinew and exposed muscle casings) on the outside will form a plastic "skin" in about an hour. The deer is dry to the touch. Bugs, flies, whatever cannot get past this. This helps keep the inside from drying out to much, but still allows the meat to start breaking down. Keeping things in a wet environment encourages the wrong kind of bacteria for good breaking down. But by all means, do what works for you. Not saying one's right or wrong, but I've done both. All the deer I shoot in the summer I have to put in a cooler on ice, because it's too hot to hang, and they have never been even close to as tender or tasty as one which was gutted and hung. Not even close.

I used to hang em for a week or so in my dad's walk-in. I will say they seemed much better that way but the cooler works better than just going straight into the freezer. I do however keep the plug pulled off the cooler.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah straight into the freezer=tough as hell.
assateague

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:58 pm

34-40* temperature to age meat hard to regulate with ice

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 am

It's above the ice assa, not in it or under it, I have one of those big ass 7 day Coleman's, keeps ice a long ass time in the fall, I'll admit it's not a dry age, its humid but not wet. would be awesome to have a walk in cooler like the guns do but until I do I'm not hanging a hairy dirty ass carcass in completely random temps to feed the shit flies and garbage bees
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 pm

After the first hour, it's tacked up, and the shit flies and shit beetles can't get to it. The that tack peels off like a layer of plastic when you butcher it. Works like a shitcharm.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Where do you hang them Assa? Would my garage be ok? And just so I'm clear, gut and leave the skin on, or do I take the hide off?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Guts out and skin off asap
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:50 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Guts out and skin off asap

skin off? Leave that shit on...oh wait...it doesn't get cold there.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I leave skin on until I'm ready to cut. Skin the whole animal, hack out the back straps, then the front quarters, then the hind quarter that the deer isn't hanging by, then cut the neck roasts out and hack off the rib cage so all thats hanging is the last hind quarter.

We hang them in the garage, we never have to worry about temps. We've hung deer at camp with daytime temps approaching 60, as long as it cools down at night and they aren't in direct sunlight ( such as you would find in a garage) you should be ok.

We usually have to heat the garage to get the bastards to thaw.
bill herian

PreviousNext

Return to Big Game Hunting