Looks like a good hatch this year.

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Looks like a good hatch this year.

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

....for the elk that is. :mrgreen:
Lately, on my morning walks, I've been doing pretty well with my elk sitings. This morning was no different.
I spotted these two bulls from about 500 yards. It just so happened they were on the powerline we follow back to the wooded are I walk most days.
At 200yards, I put the dogs on a sit-stay and proceeded with the cell phone camera ready to take pics if I could get close enough.
as I crested the hill, I could see both of the bulls but, I knew i wasn't getting closer. so I snapped a couple cell pics and hoped they turned out, they didn't really look to good. Here they are but, they were a good 50 yards away so even after I zoomed them on the phone the pics are lacking.They were still feeding in the first pic. the second pic is as the bigger bull busted me.

About a 1/2 mile away and I spotted a big cow. So I put the boys on another sit-stay again. I moved with brush between myself and the one elk I had seen. As I made my way over toward them, I saw a few other elk on the powerline strip.
Just as I came through the blackberries, 10yards in front of me and, laying facing straight away from me, were 7 calves. I took one pic right before I could see there ears in the tall grass and then tried to take as many as I could as they got up and left. Most of these calve pictures I am standing 10 yards or less. When they all first started standing up, it was like none of them knew the drill yet. There were actually 3 that turned and looked and didn't even get up with the first 4 of them. I'm guessing if I were a predator, I'd have eaten very well today.

The calves that stayed after they saw me did eventually realize to run.........but which direction was not decided as a group and it was a free for all.

Of course, there is always one in the crowd that just doesn't get it. This guy just stuck around and I almost had to chase him off, so he wouldn't be left behind by the herd.
QH's Paw

Re: Looks like a good hatch this year.

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 pm

That's a WHOLE lot of good eating, right there.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm

I wish I could get a good picture of the herd lead cow. I've seen her 3 times in the last week and she is one of the biggest roosevelt cows I've seen.
QH's Paw

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:57 am

Elk is HIGH on my dream list of animals to hunt. Those are some pretty cool photos!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 am

Would love some elk meat!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Baysider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby huntntech » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Elk hunting is definitely on my list of things I would like to do.
huntntech

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Saw the 6pt again this morning. He had his big brother with him. I didn't get enough time or good enough view to see exactly what he has but, I could see his rack is taller, wider and heavier beamed. I believe these are 2 of the 4 branch antlers I saw in a herd of a dozen or so earlier in the year.
Had a cow walk by me and the dogs at about 8 yards. The wind was right and she never even knew we were there. Man, that would have been a sweet set up with my recurve.
That's one thing about the thick stuff, if you get a shot it is close and tight.
QH's Paw

Return to Big Game Hunting