It's all my fault!

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

It's all my fault!

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Well fellas, I blew it. I took cheyenne out to where I knew a buck was hanging out and, undisturbed since deer season had opened.
First, I tried to get above the area he was raking saplings all to shit. We sat there until Cheyenne decided it was time to go hunt the brush. Basically, we sat until she started getting cold. We had to climb a few hills on the way, so we were both wet with sweat, it didn't take long.

I wanted to make her part of the process as much as I could. I explained our options and the different routes. Then, I asked which route she wanted to hunt. Fortunately, she picked the best route. Stay up high and work our way down through the system. Staying above the animals gives you an advantage and helps you cover more ground with your vision instead of your legs.
Right away, I looked up ahead and saw a silhouette standing in what was somewhat of a trail we were headed toward. With the early morning light, and some fog rolling in, I actually was thinking it was an elk. It was a large body deer as it spun and took off. Cheyenne only saw the back end of it and we couldn't make out well enough whether it was a buck or not. It seemed square bodied but, you never know.
I let Cheyenne get out ahead for a bit so she might see the animals first with her young eyes.

As we made our way down the ridgeline(just below it actually), I asked her if she wanted to go up over the top and over to another system. She said why leave where we know there are deer to find deer( smart kid, huh?). So we continued down the system.
A few hundred yards further and I got that feeling. People who push the brush know what I'm talking about, that feeling where you feel someone or something looking at you. I glassed back across the draw to a thick piece of brush tangles and, there he was with that familiar blacktail bullseye face. He was standing broadside with his head turned looking straight at us. If I had to guess, I'd say he figured we couldn't see him if he stayed still. I told Cheyenne right where he was. She was having a tough time seeing him and then finding him with her scope. She dropped the gun a couple times try to see him better and then lifting the scope to put him in it. Finally, she saw him. It seemed like forever, with every tick of the clock I was sure he'd bolt before she got a shot.
And now, here is where I made my mistake that cost Cheyenne her first buck. I should have talked her through calming her down. I should have had her sit on her butt and take the shot or, brought shooting sticks to help steady her shot. I did neither. Instead, I let her take an offhanded shot. She missed and the buck bolted. We spent the rest of the morning circling and climbing in and out of the tangles to be sure no blood, hide or deer.
I was seriously disappointed in myself but, Cheyenne couldn't have been more happy. You see, she had been hunting with her dad every year from the age of 9 years old, on the mentor progarm. Basically, that means she could have filled her dad's deer tag. Now that she was 12, she had her own tag. That's how she was allowed to hunt with me this year. I didn't even carry a gun. Anyway, that was the first time out of all her hunts that she actually saw a legal buck. As excited as she was for the opportunity, you'd have thought she shot deer.
It's Okay, she's got plenty of season's ahead to get a deer. Hell, who knows, maybe her dad will get the time to get her back out there after he hears her story.
QH's Paw

Re: It's all my fault!

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Great story Mike! It's a memory she will keep forever, way longer then any meat in the freezer.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby realunlucky » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Sounds like a great experience she got an opportunity and sounds like she enjoyed it

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:36 am

You can hang your hat on getting a child outdoors, and fueling the fire she obviously has within. You don't have to make the kill to take pride in that!

Great write up, and good luck to the young woman!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 am

Sounds like a great time
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 am

Mike it is amazing the way you can make deer hunting sound not boring, you are truly an amazing wordsmith ;)
Nice work!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:You can hang your hat on getting a child outdoors, and fueling the fire she obviously has within. You don't have to make the kill to take pride in that!

This

You have nothing to feel bad about. Thats hunting.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:13 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:Great story Mike! It's a memory she will keep forever, way longer then any meat in the freezer.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
x2. Great job mike
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:You can hang your hat on getting a child outdoors, and fueling the fire she obviously has within. You don't have to make the kill to take pride in that!

Yep, teach em to love the hunt as much as the kill and she'll be a better sportsman(woman) as she grows up. Great job!
rozzo842

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 am

Very nice Mike. Sounds like y'all had a heck of a time.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby quackhead » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm

It's was probably better it happened that way. She learned more lessons and won't get spoiled like her brother. She would be thinking its a garauntee hunting with you and may not want to hunt with her dad anymore. Lol. Good job pops.
quackhead

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Nice work Q!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Good on you, Mike!

I pull out my stack of unfilled tags and thumb through them from time to time. They are just as good at stiring up memories as the critters on the wall.
bill herian

Postby jmitch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:54 pm

bill herian wrote:Good on you, Mike!

I pull out my stack of unfilled tags and thumb through them from time to time. They are just as good at stiring up memories as the critters on the wall.

Funny because I just looked at mine last night. There are a few that I can remember where and when I lost my only shot. Just part of hunting.

Good on you for taking the girl hunting. Sounds like she enjoyed it
jmitch

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:03 pm

You're good people. Much respect!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Return to Big Game Hunting