Now theres two less, Antelope

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Now theres two less, Antelope

Postby Duplex Lover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am

WOW! Tuff Hunting.
A four hour drive to about 40 miles south of Malta. Way out in the "Boonies" , we set up camp in the dark on the shore of Shallow lake. It turned out warmer that predicted ,with light east breeze. Sleep came easily even with the expectations of the hunt in the morning, At least for me. I had to work Friday and got up at 2:00 A.M. and it was around 10:00 pm.

Day break found us in the field about a mile from the truck. As it got light we saw a band of antelope only 150 yards from us ,too bad the saw us first. We made a quick plan to try and intercept them and off we went. This old man has a rough time keeping up with the kids and speed goat anymore but I did it. We could have been another 200 yards but, they showed up as expected on the sky line, and of course My son had the shot and he took it. 258 yards with his "Swede" and it was over. He took the heard buck, the only buck, and it was not bad . A 14" buck isn't bad.

They started to take care of the animal after some pictures and I headed back to the truck with the guns to get the game cart. Long stinking way back, two miles at least. By time I got unloaded and dug the cart out and headed back I could see them on the ridge dragging. I got to them with only 3/4 of a mile left to the truck. we did load him up for a ride.

Got it back and tied down and off for more.

Hunted several other spots without ANY luck. We did find some but hunted them unsuccessfully. About dark we thought we would look one more time for the flock we saw. Bingo Now we could find 'm. Poor Daughter-in-law was whipped by now and took a spot where she could see and set. We made a remarkable stalk and got to within 85 yards of a very nice buck. The grass being so long I had to sit up and use my sticks to shoot. All the does stood first and covered the buck. As they ran off I never could get a shot at the buck. D-I-Law on the other hand had an opportunity of her own. We spooked four antelope that walked to within 50 yards of where she was sitting but her luck was the same as ours no shot. The heard we hunted also ran to her but again no shot at the buck.

Dark now we went back to camp to find the cows had moved in next door and where using out camp, tent, and Suburban as there own, rubbing post and crapping everywhere. After a forced eviction we made dinner and hit the sack,7:00 pm and the lights were out.

Next day started at 4:00 am. so we could break camp, hot coffee and a breakfast sandwich that I made at home and had in the cooler and off again. We went to a spot the boy thought could hold some goats. After we signed in to the BMA we turned around the truck and "POOF" a band of antelope appeared in the horizon three miles away. Ok game on! We drove up the highway We saw some just a hundred yards off the road, Finally some good luck, there was a cut and a place we could park out of sight. We piled out shimmied up the bank on our bellies and under the fence. Our luck was holding true, the only buck had his body guards all around him. No shot again, but as we were watching them slip away we saw the first band come off the break and run to a pond out in a bowl two miles across dead center. Humm here we go again. after a LOT of crawling and snaking around we got to spot where we may have a chance. The kids went one way I went the other . I rounded a corner down in a coulee the goats were attempting a sneaky escape and had no idea I was there. The does came to a halt the heard buck was fallowing up in the back. He stopped just short of the does, finally a brake. I flopped my fat but on the ground deployed my sticks got him in the scope and sent one down the tube of the 22/250. Whack the 60 gr partition hit it's mark, the goat hunched up and kicked his hind legs in the air. And then Ran off, WHAT! It took 15 or 20 minutes to locate him . The kids were helping me by then and they found him. Daughter-in-law shot three times and could not hit him running. He ran another 400 yards and laid down again The boy and I worked up on him and I hit him again and he was out this time.

When we started this 3 mile hunt way back at the truck set our packs with things like knives, rope, tape for the tag you know stuff we needed... My fold up in my pocket kind of worked and I had two Band-Aids in my wallet that worked to hold the tag in place.
Did I say the cart was three miles away? My son ( the little moose ) suggested we could just carry him back and he did over his shoulders it went. He stopped just twice ,,,So WE could rest! ONE Tuff hunt. It turned out the buck was turned toward me more then I realized. The bullet went in the shoulder right, but deflected off and didn't break the bone ran through one lung and came out the opposite rear ham and didn't break a single bone.
That just about killed Sunday, but we had two and called her quits. We got back in to town and the processor was just about to close up so we dropped them off. We talked with them as they winched them off the bumper buddy and they only took in 10 antelope for the weekend and ours where the only bucks...
For whatever that says and we only saw two deer the entire trip...

22/250 big game gun ?

I have given this a LOT of research and work. But after two Mule deer and an antelope I think it's "Busted" Just not a good choice for my type of hunting. Maybe under the right conditions but not so much for me. IN THE EVENT I HAD to shoot something that size I Know I COULD, But. I have a 243 and a load that will DEVISTATE A 300 pound Mule deer at 300 yards, and the 45/70 that will Pound ANY thing bigger.
I've only herd from a lot of people that they LOVE to use the 22 on deer and goats, Now I've tried and I think I'm over that. Hummm What should I try Next, Already did the 72 ( 12 gauge), 44,357,41,20 gauge,30/30, I wander about a 17 super mag, No back to the same thing...
I AM going to do a WOLF with the 250 !!!!! :thumbsup:

Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: Now theres two less, Antelope

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:58 am

Congrats duplex! Sounds like a well deserved kill.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 am

Congrats on the goats. I love hunting those things too. The last buck I shot we followed, or rather chased, about 2 miles from beginning to his end. I was starting feel like the coyote and the roadrunner.
I'm not a fan of the 22-250. I suppose it has it's place, rock chucks at 800yards or coyotes. I don't think your issue was the caliber but, more the weight of round chosen. 60grn can only carry so much energy. 130grn .270 would have likely went through the bone without deflection. Regardless, you got the goat, eventually. Good job! :beer:
What did your horns measure?
QH's Paw

Postby Duplex Lover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:07 am

QH's Paw wrote:Congrats on the goats. I love hunting those things too. The last buck I shot we followed, or rather chased, about 2 miles from beginning to his end. I was starting feel like the coyote and the roadrunner.
I'm not a fan of the 22-250. I suppose it has it's place, rock chucks at 800yards or coyotes. I don't think your issue was the caliber but, more the weight of round chosen. 60grn can only carry so much energy. 130grn .270 would have likely went through the bone without deflection. Regardless, you got the goat, eventually. Good job! :beer:

I've killed MANY goats with my 243 and a 75 gr Barnes.
14 1/2" horns
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby realunlucky » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm

That looked like a good time

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby HighDesertDuck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Congratulations on the great hunt. Nicely done
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 am

Duplex Lover wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Congrats on the goats. I love hunting those things too. The last buck I shot we followed, or rather chased, about 2 miles from beginning to his end. I was starting feel like the coyote and the roadrunner.

I've killed MANY goats with my 243 and a 75 gr Barnes.
14 1/2" horns

It's been said there have been more deer killed by the .22 rimfire than any other round, doesn't make it the best round for deer. I know old timers that have killed elk with .22 LR, I wouldn't use one for that under anything other than extenuating circumstance or something similar.
QH's Paw

Postby quackhead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 am

Congrats and great post
quackhead

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:42 am

Damn lucky to draw those tags, not many in the north country this year!
Bulldog0156

Return to Big Game Hunting