dupper's hunting page one

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

dupper's hunting page one

Postby Duplex Lover » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am

:popcorn:
Well like most of our hunts, it's well before sun up, 29* and many miles from home. We down our head lamps , push the game cart under the fence make sure the shooting sticks are in hand and off we go. This particular spot is a LONG walk to where we Start to hunt that we take the cart just in case and stash it about a half mile from our destination. Its a BIG brake part of a drainage of the Missouri river, several sections of state and federal land. Hunted there till around noon only seeing a few small bands doe mule deer, Nothing we would want to cart back. BUT we did see a Lot of coyotes 17 for this hunt. We saw two that we could sneak on so the lack of deer opportunities we opted to try. We got to about 180 yards an set up for a shot. The Daughter in law and I had the rifles the boy had his TC in 7mm waters so he was out. Two dogs just moussing in front of us at 180 nice. We let out a bark and they both froze and stared at the noise. We put the hammer down and one fell over Humm the D-I-L missed very unusual.
Next Hunt found us 30 miles south at Chalk Butte.
After an hour hike and a failed hunt on a three point we found a very nice buck by Its self on the face of a chalk cliff. It was laying down on a trail high up on a cliff. We stalked to 368 yards across the canyon from the buck. Where he was he could see for Miles and miles and the wind as light as it was is blowing right up the drainage. No way for any thing to slip up on him. EXCEPT If they came in over the ridge and across another cliff, do a little repelling , yup it's that bad. We did it and there he was looking pretty smug and confident he was safe. There is a rock wall right at the right height to make a great shooting rest. The daughter-in-law held steady and controlled her breathing and her husband, my son talked her through the shot. She is a very good shot and well versed in hunting squeezed the trigger on her 243 and sent the pill down the tube. Hitting the deer perfectly . The deer stands up and falls head over heels 200 feet down the cliff face in to a hole that had it's roots in hell. The deed was done. 2:00 in the after noon, it was well in to the dark before the last load was hauled out...
VERY nice deer , one of the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen.

The next day didn't start as early but still before sun up. We took the boat, the" Agua cow" to the river at the ferry and headed down stream planning on hunting some fed land along side. About 10 miles in the fog and low light of dawn always make a fun trip in a foot or two of water. Made it with out incident only COLD. That's ok the 200 foot clime out of the river to the top always warms a guy up. We made a few small hunts only to find a few doe and again smaller bucks, no shooters. the last hunt I stayed back at the boat, getting old sucks. We always have fishing gear in the boat and we had the shotguns too in the event the geese made an attack. I opted to try fishing. Hay what the heck, I started to nail the small mouth bass and very nice northern pike. When the kids got back they joined in and we finished the hunting trip with a bunch of fish...The weather started to change so we boated back and called it a week end.

Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: dupper's hunting page one

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am

The no eyes thing creeped me out, but nice write up and congrats on the deer.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:56 am

Another nice write up duplex. Congrats to your DIL.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Did you Photoshop the buck's eyes too, or was it just a strange reflection?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Goldfish wrote:The no eyes thing creeped me out, but nice write up and congrats on the deer.

sent from a phancy fone

X2. Nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
FlintRiverFowler

Postby bill herian » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 am

Pretty coyote and awesome buck, Duplex!
bill herian

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 am

Very nice buck tell your DIL congrats :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud

Postby quackhead » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:59 am

Very nice write up and congrats. It's always nice to get out with the family whether successful with a kill or not
quackhead

Postby Redbeard » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Great write up
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Return to Big Game Hunting