Bow target

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Bow target

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Figured this fits best here. What bag target do you use? Looking for a cheap one to throw around that actually works. Any worth a dang with fixed blades as well?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Bow target

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

I dont think there is a bag target on the market that will hold up to a broadhead, but for a fair priced bag I had good luck with the Hurricane bag. I think it was about 65 bucks 3 years ago and it will still stop 97% of all arrows fired from my Z7.

The target that is now my favorite is the Rinehart 18-in-1. Been shooting it a lot over the last year and a half and I've only 'shot out' 3 sides so far. Also it'll stop any point.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rooster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm also looking for a good target. Got a new bow and my old target doesn't stop them very well
Rooster

Postby jehler » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Jr has a little 10 x 10 block that has held up a very long time, rocks or a target cause you throw it and shoot, always a different range. That kid can shoot. Tomorrow I'll look and check the brand

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

No bag target will work with broadheads. They'll stop them, but you'll never get them out. For field points, make one with a pillow case and rags. It's what I used every year, until a buddy gave me a Glen Del buck last year.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 pm

assateague wrote:No bag target will work with broadheads. They'll stop them, but you'll never get them out. For field points, make one with a pillow case and rags. It's what I used every year, until a buddy gave me a Glen Del buck last year.

At this point, nobody is surprised.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

:lol: so true, a year ago that would have set off the alarms
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Honestly, spend the $$ and get a Block poly black or the original Block. I've shot the piss out of mine the past few years and it still stops an arrow (with any point) and you can still pull it out super easy. They are worth it.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 pm

I have a 4x4 just have to make the trip home to get it. Dog chewed off a corner and has sat outside for some time. Still does its job great. Wanted something to fill the void until then and leave out at the ranch.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:00 pm

I use the neighbors cats, its more realistic because they don't sit still and appear at different ranges.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:I use the neighbors cats, its more realistic because they don't sit still and appear at different ranges.

this is a bad idea. It could very well
Lead to you having to dress like a ninja and pull some special op kinda chit under your neighbors deck with a pellet pistol to finish off the other 8 lives and retrieve the eviden...arrow, you might think a cat with an arrow in it is an easy mark but then you would be wrong. Wrong like when you thought a cat that got shot with an arrow would just die...
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 pm

jehler wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:I use the neighbors cats, its more realistic because they don't sit still and appear at different ranges.

Lead to you having to dress like a ninja and pull some special op kinda chit under your neighbors deck with a pellet pistol to finish off the other 8 lives and retrieve the eviden...arrow, you might think a cat with an arrow in it is an easy mark but then you would be wrong. Wrong like when you thought a cat that got shot with an arrow would just die...

What are you talking about. Animals with projectiles in them always die...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:57 pm

jehler wrote:

That message is pretty cryptic jehler, were you in the bottle for that one?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Goldfish wrote:What are you talking about. Animals with projectiles in them always die...

Hilarious! He looks like he's headed to a Haloween party.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:09 am

3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:

come on tripod, I posted that at 7:44 am!!!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 am

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:

come on tripod, I posted that at 7:44 am!!!

For me it said 4:44 am, I just thought you were still at it for a night.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 pm

jehler wrote:

Now that's a hunt I would watch on the outdoor channel
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby huntall6 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 pm

assateague wrote:No bag target will work with broadheads. They'll stop them, but you'll never get them out. For field points, make one with a pillow case and rags. It's what I used every year, until a buddy gave me a Glen Del buck last year.

I do this as well, but I use plastic stuffed into burlap. I made one that was only a foot deep and it worked fine with broadheads. The head would go all the way through so you could just unscrew the broadhead and pull out your arrow. 100% free, and works as well as any bought target I have ever shot into. They come out easier too...
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Plastic bags like Walmart bags? Pretty good idea if so, and probably easier than cutting off rivets/snaps/zippers etc.
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 am

If you guys can find a marina that shrink wraps boats, the cut off wrap works well stuffed in a bag
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby huntall6 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:12 pm

assateague wrote:Plastic bags like Walmart bags? Pretty good idea if so, and probably easier than cutting off rivets/snaps/zippers etc.

yup. that, stretch wrap, packing wrap, pretty much anything plastic. great use for a year old plond too. :thumbsup:
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm

I like this idea. It wouldn't get to be 328 pounds when it gets rained on, either. Speaking of shrink wrap, I have a roll in the shop- I never thought about using it to fix up a bag target, but it'd work. After the burlap gets torn up, wind a couple turns of shrink wrap around it. Good idea! Like I said though, a buddy gave me a Glen Del buck he won, so (hopefully) I won't have to make my own again for a while.
assateague

Return to Big Game Hunting