Gonna try to be a deer hunter this year.

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Westie25 wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:There was an episode of Anthony Bordain where he was in MO. They showed a way how to clean them. It looked super easy.

I seen that episode. Some guy slipped in the boat when they were bow fishing and cracked that dome.

Is that when he stuck the spear in the ground and busted up the boat and the guys ribs?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Gonna try to be a deer hunter this year.

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Westie25 wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:There was an episode of Anthony Bordain where he was in MO. They showed a way how to clean them. It looked super easy.

I seen that episode. Some guy slipped in the boat when they were bow fishing and cracked that dome.

Yep. There was a recent episode where he was just in Kansas City. They showed all the cool little known bbq joints around town.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Westie25 wrote:

Is that when he stuck the spear in the ground and busted up the boat and the guys ribs?

That doesn't sound familiar. They were bow fishing, at night of course. This guy was in the other boat. They called an ambulance and everything I believe.
Westie25

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Westie25 wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Westie25 wrote:[quote="MOhuntingGuy"]There was an episode of Anthony Bordain where he was in MO. They showed a way how to clean them. It looked super easy.

That doesn't sound familiar. They were bow fishing, at night of course. This guy was in the other boat. They called an ambulance and everything I believe.[/quote]

Sounds like he screwed everything up twice then :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Westie25 wrote:
That doesn't sound familiar. They were bow fishing, at night of course. This guy was in the other boat. They called an ambulance and everything I believe.

They were gigging for sucker fish. The author guy just slipped and fell. It happens. Its the episode where they went duck hunting.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm

That's it! I've slept since then.
Westie25

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Westie25 wrote:I will own a farm one day Dan. It will happen.

It was stupid. Back when we had the first go round with TB in the deer herd, we were issued disease control permits as the deer would come right into the barns and eat with the cattle (my uncle finally put a 10' deer proof fence around all his livestock facilities)...any way, I remember that stretch when I killed 31 in 11 days. Then we had block permits and had 50 antlerless tags to use in the 2 week firearm season...guess who filled the majority of those??

I can honestly say that if I never killed another one, it would be ok with me.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I wouldn't want 2000+ acres. I want enough to keep me busy. A couple hundred acres of land and I'd consider myself to be the luckiest man ever. I'd even consider myself all the more luckier if it backed up to the Mississippi river.
Westie25

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:...I've shot 1 deer each of the last 2 years, haven't needed more than 20 minutes either year.

That would be a nice way to pop my deer cherry.

My dad tossed a guy he'd given permission to bow hunt once. The deal was "you can hunt, heres two anterless tags-fill 'em". He was cutting corn and the guy was bow hunting the same field edge. Dad watched as the guy passed 3-4 does. Dad asked him later why he didn't shoot one his reply "I was waiting for a buck"....wrong answer. Told him to pack his crap and GTFO.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:28 am

Well how does the new rifle shoot Olly?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 am

Flightstopper wrote:Well how does the new rifle shoot Olly?

It shoots great, sighted her in to 100yrds the scope that was mounted on the gun when I bought it is pretty good. My shoulder was sore for a few hours after that, but all in all I think the .308 was a great choice.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 am

.308 is a great do all gun that won't kill you to shoot it.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am

I put around 100 rounds down range on Sat with it. Most the cheap federals from Wal-mart. Which oddly shot the best IMO. I want to take her out and try some long distance shooting soon. Being a duck hunter anything beyond 30 yards might as well be a mile away. :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 am

I hear ya I really need to get my rifle skills up as well. Scatterguns are just so much more fun
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 am

I like destruction. I want some dragons breath rounds.
Westie25

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am

PM at you westie, you just gave me a heck of an idea :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:30 am

I grew up shooting rifles. Heck, my dad used to set me up with a 22-250 and a hundred rounds at the 200 yard range at his old gun club when I was around 9. Maybe I am just good at it, or I just get lucky every time, but I don't see how people can shoot over 1 inch groups at a hundred yards. If the holes ain't touching, I ain't happy.

I picked up shotgun shooting when I was like 12 and just ran with it. Shot competitive trap starting about 15 all the way through high school. Did it for about a year after high school but it just got too expensive.

Now I'm starting to get into pistols. Been working on improving the pistoleering skills for about a year now.

Wow that was a random long post.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35 am

If my camera on my phone worked I'd share pics of my targets from that day. I have 3" groups at 100 yards and I was pretty pleased with that. Also wasn't using a rest so.... yea for not have shot a rifle in a very long time that'll do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am

Just keep at it man! That savage should be poking ragged 1 hole groups at that range. I've got a savage and I love it. Just loaded up 200 rounds for it a week or so back.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby TNAL45 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:Just keep at it man! That savage should be poking ragged 1 hole groups at that range. I've got a savage and I love it. Just loaded up 200 rounds for it a week or so back.

All you need to be able to hit is a 9 inch pie plate, no matter the range. I try to keep shots under 100 yards though.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am

TheDude wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Just keep at it man! That savage should be poking ragged 1 hole groups at that range. I've got a savage and I love it. Just loaded up 200 rounds for it a week or so back.

All you need to be able to hit is a 9 inch pie plate, no matter the range. I try to keep shots under 100 yards though.

I lost the picture of it, but last time I shot my savage, I hung up an old aluminum frying pan at 200 yards. After I was satisfied with the smiley face I made with holes, I shot the handle off. The handle was barely an inch wide. Only took 2 shots.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Here's that new rifle.

uploadfromtaptalk1339521578727.jpg

Sent from your honey hole.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby JGUN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 pm

You get down towards TC and we're building a range you can shoot close to 400yds.
JGUN

Postby jehler » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:35 am

JGUN wrote:You get down towards TC and we're building a range you can shoot close to 400yds.

you ever going to finish that?!?
Want to shoot some skeet this weekend?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:13 am

jehler wrote:
JGUN wrote:You get down towards TC and we're building a range you can shoot close to 400yds.

you ever going to finish that?!?
Want to shoot some skeet this weekend?

Might have to fire up the dump truck while were up there shooting skeet. Dad's already talking about digging another pond. :D
JGUN

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I've got more doe's than I can shake a stick at but only 3 bucks so far.

Also had this guy come in and play with the feed block.

Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 pm

So what are you, gay? Don't like the ladies? Shoot a doe or 5.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:57 pm

There is no firearm anterless deer license in my DMU.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm

What's a DMU?
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

assateague wrote:What's a DMU?

Deer Management Unit.
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Big Game Hunting