Sold one today

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Sold one today

Postby RonE » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 am

Sold my elk rifle today at the gun show. I bought it in 1974 at a liquor/gun store in Redding, Ca. It was a Ruger #1 in 30-06 and as soon as I got back to Oroville I took it to Huntington's and had it re-chambered to 30-338 (similar to .308 Norma Mag). Killed lots of deer and elk in Calif. and Colorado. Ran out of hand-loaded ammo and had it re-chambered here in Texas to .300 Win Mag. The gun has always had a 2.5 X 8 Leopold scope and was an absolute joy to shoot because it was so accurate. It would push a 180 gr Nosler partition out the barrel at 3,100 fps and for deer and elk, that was the key to the retirement system.

Kind of sad about selling it but not a bit unhappy with the deal. I probably won't hunt deer and elk anymore unless I'm coerced into it and all the deer around here can be shot with anything less powerful.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Re: Sold one today

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 am

Bummer
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby quackhead » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:19 am

Well, atleast your happy with the deal
quackhead

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 am

Yep, that's the main thing. 180 gr @ 3100 is devastating.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 am

Was it like a part of your family?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3200 Man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:03 pm

RonE wrote:Sold my elk rifle today at the gun show. I bought it in 1974 at a liquor/gun store in Redding, Ca. It was a Ruger #1 in 30-06 and as soon as I got back to Oroville I took it to Huntington's and had it re-chambered to 30-338 (similar to .308 Norma Mag). Killed lots of deer and elk in Calif. and Colorado. Ran out of hand-loaded ammo and had it re-chambered here in Texas to .300 Win Mag. The gun has always had a 2.5 X 8 Leopold scope and was an absolute joy to shoot because it was so accurate. It would push a 180 gr Nosler partition out the barrel at 3,100 fps and for deer and elk, that was the key to the retirement system.

Kind of sad about selling it but not a bit unhappy with the deal. I probably won't hunt deer and elk anymore unless I'm coerced into it and all the deer around here can be shot with anything less powerful.

I can understand your retirement of such a recoiling monster caliber , especially in a light-weight gun like that Ruger !
Even though the 300 Win Mag is a nice caliber , the 30/378 did show what speed would really do .....to me !

I'm retired too , from Big Boomers !

6.5 / 284....... :thumbsup:
3200 Man

Postby RonE » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 am

3200 Man wrote:
RonE wrote:Sold my elk rifle today at the gun show. I bought it in 1974 at a liquor/gun store in Redding, Ca. It was a Ruger #1 in 30-06 and as soon as I got back to Oroville I took it to Huntington's and had it re-chambered to 30-338 (similar to .308 Norma Mag). Killed lots of deer and elk in Calif. and Colorado. Ran out of hand-loaded ammo and had it re-chambered here in Texas to .300 Win Mag. The gun has always had a 2.5 X 8 Leopold scope and was an absolute joy to shoot because it was so accurate. It would push a 180 gr Nosler partition out the barrel at 3,100 fps and for deer and elk, that was the key to the retirement system.

I can understand your retirement of such a recoiling monster caliber , especially in a light-weight gun like that Ruger !
Even though the 300 Win Mag is a nice caliber , the 30/378 did show what speed would really do .....to me !

With the cross hairs centered on the shoulder or neck of a deer or elk, when you squeeze the trigger and see the flop, you can't even remember the noise or the recoil. Ruger No. 1's are not really light weight rifles unless you re stock them and turn the barrels down.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:21 pm

RonE wrote:
3200 Man wrote:

I'm sure you're right , I also have had the same experience with big calibers ( not hearing , or , remembering the recoil but
with my brain being in a semi-conscious state with blurred vision , I never saw the FLOP ! I was told it happened , though ,
when I got -up ! :lol:

With the cross hairs centered on the shoulder or neck of a deer or elk, when you squeeze the trigger and see the flop, you can't even remember the noise or the recoil. Ruger No. 1's are not really light weight rifles unless you re stock them and turn the barrels down.
3200 Man

Return to Big Game Hunting