Time proven 30/30

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Time proven 30/30

Postby plainsman » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:15 pm

Anybody else using the 30/30 for deer? I've been using the '06 for years, but started using the dirty 30 for the last few.
plainsman

Re: Time proven 30/30

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:41 am

Nope, a kind neighbor sold me a Springfield 03-A3 .30-06, still in the cosmoline, for $14 on my 14th birthday. "Sporterized" it with a hand saw and shot my deer through its peep sights until out of the service and college and able to afford the Ruger M77 .270 I've used ever since.
Rick

Re: Time proven 30/30

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:46 am

I used a .243 back when I lived in states that allowed rifles. My parents got it for me for my 12th birthday.

Here in Illinois, it's shotguns with slugs for deer. I only recently got a slug gun when a buddy coerced me into apply for tags in shotgun season. I'm 0/1 with it so, not so well proven :lol:

I was never a big deer hunter until I moved out here and started hunting with a bow. I really enjoy that so much more than gun hunting. We have a long archery season. Oct 1 - mid January with over the counter tags.

Our shotgun season is 7 days (3 day first season / 4 day second season) and you have to draw for them and most places around me with a low chance of success. This is the second year in a row I didn't draw a tag, but there are still good public areas you can usually get in to hunt. You can get an either sex tag for $5 if there are no-shows. I haven't done that, but my buddy has always got in.

I should get a deer with the bow and I'm not keen on killing a bunch. So unless my season goes badly, and that has happened, I should have a deer by first shotgun season. Which is why for the longest time I never even applied.

I inherited my Dad's .30-06, probably same age and model as Rick's. He killed a lot of deer with it. I'd probably use that if I started rifle hunting deer again, but the .243 did the trick if I held up my end.

I also inherited my Grandfather's .22 hornet. That has killed a lot of deer. Nearly all of them at night with a spotlight :shock:

It also killed a lot of cows. :lol: But that was between they eyes at the feed trough right before we butchered them.

My grandfather could shoot. Hit the deer in the spine so they drop on the spot. One person goes to the deer. The car takes off. The guy drags the deer out of sight. After a while, the car comes back, deer goes in the trunk, and away they go. He helped feed a lot of people back in the day.

My wife loves to shoot the hornet. It's got the crack and feel of a real rifle, but not the kick. So you don't feel like you are plinking with a .22, but don't have the unpleasantness (or cost) of target shooting my .243 or especially the '06.
SpinnerMan

Return to Big Game Hunting