Preseason 2021 - 2022

Preseason 2021 - 2022

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:35 pm

The preseason threads are right on time, as I'm starting to see companies releasing new gear/gadgetry for the 2021 season. Was impressed by Lucky Duck's entry to the splasher feeder butt market last year, used it only in the rice. Looks like they've expanded those offerings this year. Higdon's similar gadgets have been good to me as well, moving water on dead calm mornings.

Was just talking with hunting buddies about how, fortunately, it doesn't look like we've got much to do in preparation for teal season. Have plans to give the lease a good try given it had a few birds last season, and will just require going to the south blind a week or two ahead to clean it up and open up some of what has been a continually expanding roseau patch.

In early Sept 2020

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Re: Preseason 2021 - 2022

Postby BGkirk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 pm

That’s a fine Roseau patch. Did ya transplant it from the start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:31 am

BGkirk wrote:That’s a fine Roseau patch. Did ya transplant it from the start?

Not intentionally......just stabbed canes in the mud to supplement our cover, especially in the first couple of seasons when it was a much larger magnitude of a blind. So just when we've reduced it to be a bit more low profile, this patch has popped up but I'm liking it. Roseau patches are prevalent in the area and think its movement in the wind can help mask our movements, make more shadows, etc.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 am

Nice! Nothing like natural cover!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Don't cut it, shoot through it. They'll get so right that you'll not have to swing at low birds. We had a long goose pit on the rice farm that was sitting in a levee covered wide in Roseau. We thinned it ever so slightly for visibility and it worked great. The specks would float over or near us barely moving into the wind..... Damn! that was a fun season.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:43 am

Whatever you do, don't cut or thin it with a knife that makes sharp pungi stakes for Harry. I thin mine with pruning shears: flat and above the dog.

(Of course, most folks just break them over to make a nice square fort to hide them from birds swimming or marching by.)
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:44 am

We’ve always broke it over bending the tops back towards the blind. Lot of times it’ll sprout back where you bend it over. I do think thinning it with whatever is smart for keeping it healthy and growing for the next years to come

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 pm

We tend to just thin it a little, leave most of it standing (its mostly been on our right hand side, north end of the blind so we have like a cool tunnel through it going to the blind's entrance). In front leave some standing, break over good bit every which way but mostly INto the blind to break it up.

Historically been a producer of a pond, but man last year was tough there, including this entry from opening day 2021:

When first pair dropped in pretty right off the bat, thought surely we were in business. But the early flurry quickly ended, did not fire a shot after 6:05am. Ended up seeing fair many grays, mostly in big flights on a path toward the southeast, just south of us flying high but just none of the usual looker traffic in our area that was in place even just yesterday as I worked on the blind. Missed on a couple iffy ops on dosgris and teal but no other ops on grays. Hoping tomorrow for better luck given there are some birds around, was a tough one to swallow today.

2 grays
Darren

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Wow, that looks nice, Darrin!

The wrack pile at my place is evolving, but the access canal is still blocked. That is likely permanent as DOTD dredged a bit of drainage around it to the south and then back up along the highway to get it under the bridge. Here's some before and after pics if I'm successful loading the photos.
Lreynolds

Postby BGkirk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Larry,
I noticed in a lot of places where the debris like what you were left with was burned and wild millet grew back in place.
Hate it for you guys with inaccessible areas

BGkirk

Postby BGkirk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Now that I look closer in your first pic, I think wild millet is what I’m seeing.
Correct me if wrong

BGkirk

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 pm

Lreynolds wrote:The wrack pile at my place is evolving, but the access canal is still blocked. That is likely permanent...

Damba. Does that mean you're out of a place or is there alternate access?
Rick

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:10 am

BGkirk wrote:Now that I look closer in your first pic, I think wild millet is what I’m seeing.
Correct me if wrong

The first picture above was taken in November, 2018, and we had a great crop of millet that year. Below is a pic of me and my son at the blind prior to the September teal season in 2018.

I've not yet put boots in the water since the 3rd photo above was taken, but I've been told that a great crop of seed-producing annuals is coming on in SW LA. That surprises me, as high as the water has been, but I've seen photos of some great stuff along Hwy 82, like the one below.
Lreynolds

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 am

Rick wrote:
Lreynolds wrote:The wrack pile at my place is evolving, but the access canal is still blocked. That is likely permanent...

Damba. Does that mean you're out of a place or is there alternate access?

No. Just more difficult access, or alternate access if I invested in a smallish surface-drive rig.

My previous strategy was to access the lease by paddling down the canal from the highway. A 1/2-mile paddle got me to a point where I could marsh-walk another 250 yards to a blind that serves as my hub of operations. I normally hunt maybe 1/3 of the time from the blind. Because birds prefer other locations in the marsh throughout the season, I spend a lot of time on a bucket in the weeds.

Last year, with 50-acres of wrack pile blocking my way, I had to walk another 150 yards down the highway, then about 500 yards of paddling or walking (depending on water levels) to get around the wrack pile to a point half-way down the canal from my past-years access strategy. Between the more strenuous access, and the INCREDIBLE traffic on the highway complicating the logistics, I hunted only 7 times last year, and never 2 days in a row. This old man just couldn't handle it.
Lreynolds

Postby BGkirk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 am

Traffic stinks! I’ve already seen some almost bad accidents between ICW and Little chenier rd when guys think they can pass 10 cars in a row only to find out traffic is slowing simply because of people turning East onto little chenier rd. It’s a “T-Bone” waiting to happen. I’ve decided it’s safer to get in the north bound lane for a little ways before turning East.

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Larry, as a marsh walker when-needed myself, those types of distances you're talking are no-go's for us, especially over 250-300 yards, etc. Props to you for even doing it at all much less 7 times, clearly the desire to hunt is a sickness but you're in good company. This is a safe space to admitting to doing silly things for the opportunity to lie in wait, trying to trick a duck.

Updated google earth image of our lease area shows fair bit of wrack I never saw last year bc it was out in middle of land areas, thankfully doesn't preclude access to our ponds. Fingers crossed for what's still to come this summer.
Darren

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 pm

BGkirk wrote:Traffic stinks! I’ve already seen some almost bad accidents between ICW and Little chenier rd when guys think they can pass 10 cars in a row only to find out traffic is slowing simply because of people turning East onto little chenier rd. It’s a “T-Bone” waiting to happen. I’ve decided it’s safer to get in the north bound lane for a little ways before turning East.

Amen!

I've been walking that half-mile from where Cameron Parish forces me to park to the bridge, where I've been paddling from (until the 2020 hurricanes) since 2008. I'm cautious, and I've had no real problems. But the shoulders are narrower in some spots in that half-mile now, and a truck pulling a trailer was passing that long line of vehicles traveling south on Hwy 27 south of LC Road at 5:00 AM every morning. His extended driver-side mirror clipped my jacket at my right shoulder, tearing a hole in it, and taking a couple years off my life ....... No physical damage beyond the hole in my jacket, but I was scared !*%!less! At the end of the hunt, I walked/paddled through the marsh all the way back to where I have to park trying to mark a path to find my way on the next hunt, but it didn't work.

A week or so later, I put my pirogue in from where I park, and I got lost finding my way back to my end of the lease. I struggled through shallow marsh, made some wrong turns when I could stay in the trenasse, and I was late getting set up. So my strategy for the last couple of hunts was to get there earlier. I didn't like leaving BR before 2:00 AM, but walking down the highway at 4:15-4:30 was fine, and I kind of enjoyed the slack time before shooting hours.

I know you're laughing at a guy driving 2.5 hours from home to park at his lease, walk a half-mile along a highway to then walk/paddle another 2/3 to 1 mile to go duck hunting, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Eric Kirk once saw me at the bridge after hunting and before walking that half-mile back to my vehicle. We chatted and he said, "dude, you need to get a better gig." :lol:
Lreynolds

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Darren wrote:Larry, as a marsh walker when-needed myself, those types of distances you're talking are no-go's for us, especially over 250-300 yards, etc. Props to you for even doing it at all much less 7 times, clearly the desire to hunt is a sickness but you're in good company. This is a safe space to admitting to doing silly things for the opportunity to lie in wait, trying to trick a duck.

Updated google earth image of our lease area shows fair bit of wrack I never saw last year bc it was out in middle of land areas, thankfully doesn't preclude access to our ponds. Fingers crossed for what's still to come this summer.

I sure as hell couldn't do it where you hunt, Darrin! I'm an old Atchafalaya Delta mud-stomper that got run off by surface-drive motors I couldn't compete with, but you just can't walk far (or at all) in most of the SE LA marsh I've been in. I'm blessed with relatively firm marsh-walking on my lease.

And I'm sorry for dominating your thread and changing the subject. I'm really impressed with how nice your marsh and blind looked and wanted to share some impacts at my place.
Lreynolds

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Lreynolds wrote:I know you're laughing at a guy driving 2.5 hours from home to park at his lease, walk a half-mile along a highway to then walk/paddle another 2/3 to 1 mile to go duck hunting, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Eric Kirk once saw me at the bridge after hunting and before walking that half-mile back to my vehicle. We chatted and he said, "dude, you need to get a better gig." :lol:

I'm too busy wondering if I'd still want it that bad to think about laughing.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:13 pm

Lreynolds wrote:
BGkirk wrote:Traffic stinks! I’ve already seen some almost bad accidents between ICW and Little chenier rd when guys think they can pass 10 cars in a row only to find out traffic is slowing simply because of people turning East onto little chenier rd. It’s a “T-Bone” waiting to happen. I’ve decided it’s safer to get in the north bound lane for a little ways before turning East.

Amen!

I've been walking that half-mile from where Cameron Parish forces me to park to the bridge, where I've been paddling from (until the 2020 hurricanes) since 2008. I'm cautious, and I've had no real problems. But the shoulders are narrower in some spots in that half-mile now, and a truck pulling a trailer was passing that long line of vehicles traveling south on Hwy 27 south of LC Road at 5:00 AM every morning. His extended driver-side mirror clipped my jacket at my right shoulder, tearing a hole in it, and taking a couple years off my life ....... No physical damage beyond the hole in my jacket, but I was scared !*%!less! At the end of the hunt, I walked/paddled through the marsh all the way back to where I have to park trying to mark a path to find my way on the next hunt, but it didn't work.

A week or so later, I put my pirogue in from where I park, and I got lost finding my way back to my end of the lease. I struggled through shallow marsh, made some wrong turns when I could stay in the trenasse, and I was late getting set up. So my strategy for the last couple of hunts was to get there earlier. I didn't like leaving BR before 2:00 AM, but walking down the highway at 4:15-4:30 was fine, and I kind of enjoyed the slack time before shooting hours.

I know you're laughing at a guy driving 2.5 hours from home to park at his lease, walk a half-mile along a highway to then walk/paddle another 2/3 to 1 mile to go duck hunting, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Eric Kirk once saw me at the bridge after hunting and before walking that half-mile back to my vehicle. We chatted and he said, "dude, you need to get a better gig." :lol:
Like Darren said, no judgement around here. We’ve all paid our share of what I call the “idiot tax” chasing ducks.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Preseason 2021 - 2022

Postby ryan_k » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 pm

I drive in some mornings from Gonzales when not staying in DeRidder at parents house. To hunt lease on Little Chenier road, makes for a long day. Some times on way back to Gonzales don’t remember going back over Basin Bridge lol

The middle Kirk brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ryan_k

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:16 am

All are in good company!

Larry that jacket incident :o

I'd say "surely there's a better way" but certain you've done those evaluations. I've got a nice winding boat ride to our lease, cross just one "lake" that can get choppy in the flat boat but otherwise pretty protected in small lakes and bayous through the marsh. Excited to try that blind shown for teal this year since it's an easy hunt and has promise based on what we saw last year in September down that way.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:00 am

Rick wrote:
Lreynolds wrote:I know you're laughing at a guy driving 2.5 hours from home to park at his lease, walk a half-mile along a highway to then walk/paddle another 2/3 to 1 mile to go duck hunting, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Eric Kirk once saw me at the bridge after hunting and before walking that half-mile back to my vehicle. We chatted and he said, "dude, you need to get a better gig." :lol:

I'm too busy wondering if I'd still want it that bad to think about laughing.

I know that answer where I'm concerned. Ain't no way in hell but hey kudo's to those that want it that bad. :beer:
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm

We're just about a month away from seeing some birds showing, if customary timelines from past years (including 2020) hold. Re-visiting notes reminded me of the ground wire gremlins we were trying to chase down on my flat boat this time last year and into our early teal scouting. Turned out to be a chafed wire in the shift box mount that was causing all kinds of interesting things to happen. Knock wood we have all that squared away, it was fine all last season after we finally found the culprit.

Otherwise, no new gadgetry or decoys planned for teal season. Standard rig with 16-20 decoys, mixed teal, spoons, "mottled ducks"/mallard hens. Two lucky duck spinners, a splasher or two if needed.

IMG_4684.JPG

I hear that a trigger has been pulled on a new blind for the bunkie field, so we'll see!
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:51 pm

Darren time to start looking at the ole drought monitor. A good cold dry winter would be nice for a change.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Darren time to start looking at the ole drought monitor. A good cold dry winter would be nice for a change.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

You right, unfortunately, where we need/want water, there isn't (the breeding grounds). Yet Missouri on downward has plenty, no good! Tony V was battling floods just recently, it seemed, at HF. Upside, maybe reduced some of their food production, but likely not appreciably. Headed up that way to Nebraska next week for work so will get a good snapshot of what it looks like around that area.

Dislike
Capture.JPG
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 am

Plenty of time to dry out in the mid latitudes and here as well. The woods in my neck of the woods have been wet for far too long. Hoping the tropics stay quiet.
Ducaholic

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:51 am

I’d also add the long anticipated drought on the PPR may be here. All we can do is look to the benefits we know are coming once the moisture returns.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am

Ducaholic wrote:I’d also add the long anticipated drought on the PPR may be here. All we can do is look to the benefits we know are coming once the moisture returns.

Like all of the farmer having their drain tiles in?
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:30 am

Yea thats another angle to it, land that has the time to dry out is then more attractive to conversion to farming use once its not that old back 40 of useless soggy ground where some ducks hang out.
Darren

Next

Return to Darren 2021-2022