Preseason

Preseason

Postby 5 stand » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:07 pm

Shot at 50 plus clay targets today...
5 stand

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:03 am

5 stand wrote:Shot at 50 plus clay targets today...

Get any?
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 am

I bought one of them clay shooters ...a firefly.
Had it for months and can't get a small boy interested in working it so the old guy can practice.
Fifty?!?
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:36 am

Rick wrote:

Get any?

Yes sir, it's what I do in the offseason... Your comment made me think of the lady at braum's after a duck hunt... She asked what I had been doing and I said duck hunting... She asked if I caught any.... :lol: :lol:
5 stand

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 am

5 stand wrote:
Rick wrote:

Get any?

Yes sir, it's what I do in the offseason... Your comment made me think of the lady at braum's after a duck hunt... She asked what I had been doing and I said duck hunting... She asked if I caught any.... :lol: :lol:

Used to cringe when asked that.
Then some very good guides took me under their wings for 3 months. I discovered that waterfowl hunting is a lot like "fishing with guns".
When I asked my guide friends "is that right" they said "you're one of us now".
We tell fish stories?
Duh
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:

I bought one of them clay shooters ...a firefly.
Had it for months and can't get a small boy interested in working it so the old guy can practice.
Fifty?!?

My gun club is member owned and we don't have a caretaker there all the time.. So we have cards that we put rounds on, a round is 25 Targets and they allow for breakage and give us 29... Hence the reason I said 50 plus... I usually shoot about 65 times on two rounds of 5 stand....
5 stand

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:19 am

I’m jealous of that setup 5 stand. We were members of one growing up. But land got sold and now there’s a subdivision there.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby PorkChop » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:25 am

There is a pretty cool Inuit hunting page on Facebook. They always say that they caught this and they caught that whether it’s bears Caribou muskox...anything. It took a bit but I got use to it! Never heard them say flight ducks though. :P
PorkChop

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:46 am

Pork chop... I didn't want to pile on, so I didn't make a comment in the flight duck thread.... We don't have local ducks here, so all our ducks are migrators.... I know exactly what flight ducks are... :lol: :lol: :lol:
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 am

I have a pet peeve also:
People talk about having a good duck shoot today...
I hunt ducks, so I have a good duck hunt..
I shoot clay targets... In my mind the word shoot seems predetermined if that makes sense... If I had a good duck shoot, it's pen raised ducks...
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:12 am

Duck Engr wrote:I’m jealous of that setup 5 stand. We were members of one growing up. But land got sold and now there’s a subdivision there.

We consider ourselves very fortunate to have the gun club that we have... We think it's one of the cheapest in the nation... What we call a round 25 targets, was $3 last year... January 1st it went up to $5, which we think is still a bargain... We have 3 trap fields, 3 skeet fields, covered five stand, and a 10 station sporting Clay course... The property we are on is the old fort Smith landfill, which is located in the county so we are able to discharge firearms on it (shotgun only)... Last I heard we had a 50-year lease?
5 stand

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:09 am

5 stand wrote:I have a pet peeve also:
I shoot clay targets... In my mind the word shoot seems predetermined if that makes sense... If I had a good duck shoot, it's pen raised ducks...

I've never hear anyone use that "duck shoot" thing even when we shot pen raised mallards.
Gives people the wrong idea about hunting.
Like we never miss. This whole train of thought leads to banning magazines. So maybe it'd benefit us to ADMIT THAT WE MISS. I do..
Ricky Spanish

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:48 am

5 stand wrote:I have a pet peeve also:

I fear it's a can of worms, but I feel exactly the same, you'll never hear me refer to our hunts as "shoots" whether we kill 1 or 20. To me the term harkens back to guys just showing up to load guns and shoot when told, not actually taking part in the pursuit, strategy, calling, etc. Maybe that's some, but that's not me.

Carry on
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:26 am

Would that the shooters were at least hunter enough to help hide themselves.

But to paraphrase Sweet Chereaux's uncle Franklin when I asked him how he was prospering as a commercial fisherman when others were bitching and folding, "There are hunters, and there are those who hunt."
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:41 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:I've never hear anyone use that "duck shoot"

x2

Although if it was a good duck shoot, it was probably flight ducks :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:29 am

Betty.
I'm sure you've read about a duck shoot you just didn't realize it or concern yourself with it..
Bill Cooksey use the term shoot this morning, in two different posts...
He was referring to Dove shoots as he calls them... Like I said it's just a pet peeve of mine, no big deal!!

BACK TO FLIGHT DUCKS !!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 5 stand on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 stand

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:37 am

5 stand wrote:He was referring to Dove shoots as he calls them...

Why not? A dove shoot is just that. Well, unless it rained the day before, then it can be just a dove wait.
Rick

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 am

Rick wrote:
5 stand wrote:He was referring to Dove shoots as he calls them...

Why not? A dove shoot is just that. Well, unless it rained the day before, then it can be just a dove wait.

True, heck yeah...
I'm one of the fools that actually try to hunt them... If I can hide from them I will... I usually hunt by myself, and move around the field till I find what I think might be the hot spot... I've told the story (that I think I stole from you) to the Wednesday night crowd that I shoot with at the gun club... It was about the young first year Dove Hunter, and his advice was get by naked tree.... I think that boy was a hunter, he wasn't just out there sitting on a bucket (shooting).
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Fellers
Please let me clarify again, it's just a pet peeve... I like Bill Cooksey look forward to meeting him at the shindig, and be involved in the Dove shoot Friday afternoon....lol... Probably shouldn't have used him as an example, my bad...
Hope all you guys reading this have several good duck shoots this fall....
5 stand

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm

That was a then young Todd Boudreaux's advice to one of our adult dove hunters asking about good spots. But most any way you slice 'em, doves are still more of a shoot than a hunt. Our camp's big cheese, Doug, used to wander around the field in a white t-shirt visiting with folks, and may have wondered why some shifted away from him, but he would still usually end up with a mess. Only "hunting" he was ever much good at.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:07 pm

I too don’t like the phrase “duck shoot” but use “dove shoot” almost exclusively over dove hunt. I’ve never thought about why but it may have something to do with Rick’s description above.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Duck Engr wrote:I too don’t like the phrase “duck shoot” but use “dove shoot” almost exclusively over dove hunt. I’ve never thought about why but it may have something to do with Rick’s description above.

The dove "hunts" I've went on with a group were shoots.
I never called what I do that though.
Usually the only reason I ever shot doves was to sharpen up my aim and maybe train a dog.
First retrieves on doves make gentle mouthed dogs was my thinking. Damn that's dumb.
3:4 of my hounds cut their teeth on doves.
I'm curious now since cross-site banter happens...
How many highland park threads are there now?
It's such a relief to get away from that.
Let's not get started on it.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:02 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:I've never hear anyone use that "duck shoot"

x2

Although if it was a good duck shoot, it was probably flight ducks :mrgreen:

On a "Flight Day" no less :D
Ducaholic

Return to 5 stand 2022-2023